The middle agers group. (Upper 30s,40s & 50ish folks)

Replies

• kimber0607
    kimber0607 Posts: 994 Member
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    kimber0607 wrote: »
    Very cool!!!
    I am both petrified and fascinated with sharks...if that makes any sense
    In my late teens, I almost got a tattoo of a shark one drunken night in NYC-thank god I didnt have enough money..LOL

For most sharks, you are not on the menu. There are a few that sometimes have unfavorable interactions with divers. More likely that a swimmer or surfer triggers a feeding instinct because they look like what lunch looks like swimming above. It's usually just a taste because we really AREN'T for lunch. Of course if a large White Shark takes a taste, you'll still be damaged even when it lets you go. I have only seen a limited number of sharks diving in California. Mostly small ones. I've seen Angel Sharks, Horn Sharks, Leopard Sharks, and Tope Sharks. I once ~thought~ I saw a Blue Shark, but it was probably a Tope Shark. I've also seen rays; same family. Bat rays are cool. Electric rays are also WAY cool (look like the Starship Enterprise), but don't touch or get too close; they can give a good shock. Also seen a couple Round Stingrays. I would LOVE to see a Whale Shark!

One dive years ago we were swimming through Giant Kelp. The passage was pretty narrow, so my buddy and I were single file instead of abreast. I was in front. There was a clearing ahead, and I saw a shark swim by. I turned and made the "Shark" sign to my buddy. I turned back around, and as we proceeded, the shark came back and swam down the same passage we were swimming up. It was a Tope shark. It got close enough for us to get a really good look at. We got back on the boat, and my buddy said, "I sure am glad YOU were in front." I said, "Me too!" No need to be petrified. If you want to be scared of something.... INFLUENZA!

All I can say is.. I think you are a brave man. I think sharks are scary. Great Whites the scariest, I would be running on top of the water if I saw one.. 🦈

LOL..Im right next to ya!
    I know the fear is completely irrational....but I can't help but equate sharks with the Jaws theme in my head, and that is scary as *kitten*
  • HeyThereFatMan
    HeyThereFatMan Posts: 10 Member
    Hi Everyone!

I'm 42 and still fat. Add me. We can talk about not being fat someday, and stuff.
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    AliNouveau wrote: »
    Good morning! I did some shopping for my Valentines night run. I found some glow in the dark face paint. Let's see how that works. I will definitely be changing my profile pic if it all turns out well!

Fun!!!
    What about a hair band with hearts? I need to find one for my curling game on Friday

I got a headband with a rose hairclip/hairband/pin. It was really cheap!

can't wait to see pictures!!! sounds super cute
  • bago08
    bago08 Posts: 360 Member
    Hi all 47 here.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 12,935 Member
    YellowD0gs wrote: »
    AliNouveau wrote: »
    cgrout78 wrote: »
    I cry trying on bathing suits...so stressful. I just need to put on my big girl panties (bikini bottoms?) and deal with it !!!!

There are lots of tankinis this year at the store I like to shop at and they are like loose outer parts of them. So i got like this little crop top one that is loose so it hides a lot. Then lots of bottoms are high waisted although I don't like those I always feel fatter in them so I will pair this with some bottoms I have
    This is the top it is awesome https://www.lavieenrose.com/en/solid-crop-cami-bikini-top-black-150416

THIS is the swimming suit I will be wearing soon (the 3mm version)

kuw22wriyjz4.png

I've never had a suit like this; I usually use a drysuit or sometimes my 7mm suit that has a built-in hood and 5mm vest. At 3mm, even this one might be "too warm" for 80-degree water. But I won't get cold! And it will protect most of my body from jelly stings. I might even add some thin gloves, like those nitrile-coated cotton ones. I hate getting stung.

I thought you were going to swim with sharks in that thing..LOL

We might see sharks. I do fish presence and abundance surveys, and I had a look at what animals are most often seen; I need to study up because I have never done ANY tropical diving. The most commonly surveyed shark is a nurse shark, but it was only seen on about 2.5% of dives (over 5000 survey dives since 1993 and almost 6300 hours underwater). Next would be the Caribbean Reef Shark seen on only 0.3% of surveys. To be sure; there might have been sharks seen on more dives, but we only report species that we can identify 100% accurately. People would be able to identify a hammerhead - they are reported only 0.08% of surveys - actually only one time, and it was by a novice.

What I think we will almost certainly see are Blue Chromis, Foureye butterflyfish, and Stoplight parrotfish. Those get reported almost every survey.
    rw1agltcrztm.png
    jzfyados6z2l.png
    8farwfln2414.png

There are about 40 species that are seen on at least half of the dives, so my first focus will be on learning those. I also hope to see some of the rarer species like Manta ray. I hope we find some Goliath Grouper. We're more likely to see Nassau Grouper; that will be keen, too.

I'm sure you're going to need an assistant for these surveys. I'll be happy to provide a resume'. ;)

The trip has been full for months, but I definitely encourage you to get involved in citizen science when you dive. Check out the Reef Environmental Education Foundation.
  • mtaratoot
    Very cool!!!
    In my late teens, I almost got a tattoo of a shark one drunken night in NYC-thank god I didnt have enough money..LOL

For most sharks, you are not on the menu. There are a few that sometimes have unfavorable interactions with divers. More likely that a swimmer or surfer triggers a feeding instinct because they look like what lunch looks like swimming above. It's usually just a taste because we really AREN'T for lunch. Of course if a large White Shark takes a taste, you'll still be damaged even when it lets you go. I have only seen a limited number of sharks diving in California. Mostly small ones. I've seen Angel Sharks, Horn Sharks, Leopard Sharks, and Tope Sharks. I once ~thought~ I saw a Blue Shark, but it was probably a Tope Shark. I've also seen rays; same family. Bat rays are cool. Electric rays are also WAY cool (look like the Starship Enterprise), but don't touch or get too close; they can give a good shock. Also seen a couple Round Stingrays. I would LOVE to see a Whale Shark!

One dive years ago we were swimming through Giant Kelp. The passage was pretty narrow, so my buddy and I were single file instead of abreast. I was in front. There was a clearing ahead, and I saw a shark swim by. I turned and made the "Shark" sign to my buddy. I turned back around, and as we proceeded, the shark came back and swam down the same passage we were swimming up. It was a Tope shark. It got close enough for us to get a really good look at. We got back on the boat, and my buddy said, "I sure am glad YOU were in front." I said, "Me too!" No need to be petrified. If you want to be scared of something.... INFLUENZA!

All I can say is.. I think you are a brave man. I think sharks are scary. Great Whites the scariest, I would be running on top of the water if I saw one.. 🦈

I know the fear is completely irrational....but I can't help but equate sharks with the Jaws theme in my head, and that is scary as *kitten*

I read that the only year the number of SCUBA certifications declined was the year Jaws was released. Good movie, but not a good depiction of White Sharks.

Jaws is old enough to be a member of this group!
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member

My sister set me up on a blind date with a friend of hers back in the day. We went to see "Jaws" at the drive-in. Did not get a second date with that girl. I can't imagine why! HAHA! :D

• mtaratoot

My sister set me up on a blind date with a friend of hers back in the day. We went to see "Jaws" at the drive-in. Did not get a second date with that girl. I can't imagine why! HAHA! :D

Looks like you were going to need a bigger car. Or was it actually an old deVille, and you were DRIVING the shark.
  • kimber0607
    kimber0607 Posts: 994 Member

IDK if scared its a good move it cuddle up with someone and pretend your scared
    blind dates don't work IMO....had a disastrous blind date in college..it was my first and last!
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Second strike day this week for schools
    We have been exploring our city. Yesterday was downtown for the museum of illusions and today was to a skate trail close to the lake.
    I'm going to run out of things to do if this strike goes on much longer yokmas5ht450.jpg
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    edited February 2020
    Very cool!!!

Yep, and I've seen enough news clips of people taken especially off the Western Australia coast to know those bad boys rule there 😁
    I guess they aren't any more dangerous than the Irukandji or crocs though 😁
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    drmwc wrote: »
    Very cool!!!

Swimming with sharks is not really scary at all. It is wonderful, and I'm lucky to have done it.

Here is my Great Hammerhead video from Bimini a few year ago:
    https://youtu.be/AtJx3UKS6S0

I am hoping I will be able to snorkel with whales on a holiday soon.

Super cool vid, thanks for sharing 🙂
  • plsrkitty73
    plsrkitty73 Posts: 1 Member
    Hi, I'm 46 and trying to lose weight. :'(
  • YellowD0gs
    YellowD0gs Posts: 693 Member
    Hi, I'm 46 and trying to lose weight. :'(

Hi, you're in the right place. :) What's your current status?
  • maaka1981
    maaka1981 Posts: 140 Member
    Hello, I'm 38, feel free to add me.
  • TomFit18
    TomFit18 Posts: 2,581 Member
    Good morning peeps! Hope you all have a great day!
  • clord2
    clord2 Posts: 413 Member
    Good morning everyone. Happy almost Friday
  • robkaminski5406
    robkaminski5406 Posts: 1 Member
    Good morning everyone, best Thursday wishes to everyone.
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    it's so cold here today I almost wish my hot flashes would kick in....brrrrr. Have a good day all!
  • CdnCmpr
    CdnCmpr Posts: 4 Member
    Hello everyone. I'm Missy from Ontario and just turned 44. I was a member of MFP years ago when I had to get my weight back on track after having kids (please ignore the fact that they are both teens right now - smashes head on wall). I joined about 5 years back and lost 35+lbs....then our whole family took a 2 week vacation to Florida in Nov of '18 and had a blast, and I put on about 5-10lbs...not much, but then Christmas came and you know the story. The motivation just wasn't there.
    But now....there is a different story. At the suggestion of my Dr., I have gone off my acid reflux meds cold turkey; in turn, I have cut out most chocolate....ok, chocolate after dinner, to be honest, most sugar, bananas and other citrus fruit. I have also cut out alcohol during the week and have stuck to my intermittent fasting plan.
    So, yes....I'm a huge believer in intermittent fasting. I know many aren't, mainly bc they don't believe in it or think it's bad for you. That's ok....I'm not here to win you over on intermittent fasting. I just want to gain a few friends that can make this journey with me....maybe make weight loss a bit more fun. So, if we have something in common, feel free to add me and we can help each other!