Benefiber lies! (about it's nutrition info...)

Options
I eat a lot of natural fiber: Oatmeal, fruit, salad. I still need to take a fiber supplement in the evening to feel my best the next day. I really don't understand why.

I've tried them all, and the easiest to take by far is Benefiber. It dissolves completely, is tasteless and textureless. I put a generous amount in a large mug of chamomile tea in the evening and thoroughly enjoy drinking it. It seems to work, and I don't get cramping or any other problems.

But, it is not calorie-free, which bothers me slightly.

I'm guessing I use about 4 teaspoons which is supposed to have 30kcals, coming supposedly from 8 grams of carbs, 6 of which are soluble fiber. That doesn't make sense! Yes, 8 grams of carb will have 32kcals, but the soluble fiber isn't metabolized, so the actual absorbed calories should be from the extra 2 grams of carbs, giving you only 8 calories.

When you're counting every calorie, you don't want to waste them on gosh darned Benefiber! (And, I don't think you really are!)

drums.gif

Thoughts?

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    My vague understanding is there is some disagreement as to whether soluble fiber specifically is perhaps partially digested and therefore might contribute some of it's calories. Rather than split hairs, the FDA counts the carb calories of soluble fiber.

Regardless, Benefiber isn't lying to you. And considering in other circumstances food labeling is allowed to round down, having this sort of thing overestimate is perhaps a small way to make everything even out.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    My vague understanding is there is some disagreement as to whether soluble fiber specifically is perhaps partially digested and therefore might contribute some of it's calories. Rather than split hairs, the FDA counts the carb calories of soluble fiber.

Regardless, Benefiber isn't lying to you. And considering in other circumstances food labeling is allowed to round down, having this sort of thing overestimate is perhaps a small way to make everything even out.

It is digestible into long chain fatty acid and is used by the body. Roughly 1.2 cals/gram of fiber.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I am not sure why you ever thought it was calorie free. When I need to supplement I use 16 grams which I have logged as 60 calories for a very long time. I am fairly certain I got the information directly from the label but I have not checked it in a long time.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    @cathipa : yes! I take it at the end of the day and I'm almost always down to the wire!

@NovusDies : I've been fearing those calories, but now I'm wondering if it's an accounting error. I often take quite a lot of the stuff.

@kimny72 : if it is a "bulk laxitive," it can't be absorbed, thus: no calories!