How do you stay motivated when you don't see any results?

Replies

• GeminiLady159
    GeminiLady159 Posts: 120 Member
    Maybe in addition to the advice about better tracking, take some body measurements too, and recheck those every month or so. You might be making fitness changes other than the scale.
  • josephinebowman
    josephinebowman Posts: 359 Member
    I saw where you said your clothes felt a bit better. Hold tight to that victory. A food scale and portion check is good but you seem to have that. You are stepping/exercise. Hang on and keep on. (Are you eating enough?) Take the weekend off from weighing you and just breathe and enjoy things you like to do. Can't advise on thyroid b/c I don't have one. But do not give up -- time will be a friend.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    edited February 2020
    ...have you all forgotten what happens at the beginning of the journey???? You count it all track it all and bust your *kitten* and the scale does the opposite of what you want for the first few weeks. Sometimes longer. She flat out said she is seeing results in her clothes!! That means what she is doing is working!! I've done this 3 separate times!! Each time is the same. Measure your body!! Look for positive results in all areas not just the scale!! I can run faster and longer....the scale doesn't agree but that doesn't mean I'm not doing what's right!! Seems to me yall have been kinda mean to this lady!! I think she is doing great and needs to keep it up!!! Progress doesn't happen over night it takes time. Thyroid condition and other body ailments can change the way anyone's body loses or gains.Guess y'all forgot where you came from in all this. The beginning you have to fight without visual results and sometimes it takes time to get that scale to fall in line!!! REAL LIFE!!

This has not been my experience.
  • zoer302
    zoer302 Posts: 23 Member
    This isn't coming from the most experienced source, granted, but I've found once I've strictly tracked for a few weeks, you just learn what your meals are totalling, especially if you eat the same meals most days. Therefore you don't necessarily need to "track" every single day on here. At least you'll know roughly where you're at without being too strict with it.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Sadly I have limited motivation and it is fleeting. I have to instead lean on habits and rules. For me the rules are
    1. Log everything
    2. Weigh all solids
    3. Measure all caloric liquids
    4. Use a weight trending app like libra so i see trendlines weigh daily except during TOM
    5. Remember it took me decades to gain it it can be slow loss as long as stays off
    6. No more then 1 day over in a row
    7. Remember what happens 95% of time is where you will be
    8 drink a glass of water every morning

Now are these rules perfect for you perhaps not but lean on habit and rules as motivated is not strong enough
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member

ebeever115 wrote: »
    No I do not. Like I said, I will become obsessive and drive myself crazy if I do that and I'm trying to avoid that! I've done that before and it starts to take over my life when I do it.

If you really think it will be a stressor on you, there are other options. You said you are writing down everything, so you can cut back a little from that. The problem is that you don't know as well what the actual number is, so there's more risk that you are jumping too conclusions and actually cutting back when there's no need to.

Usually weight loss happens immediately, but depending on the time of the month when you started, adding exercise, other weird things, sometimes the scale just bounces around.

One way to be patient -- I did this when I started and was superstitious that it wouldn't work -- is to focus on the things you feel like you are in control over (like the exercise, the tracking, the positive steps to eating better) and the benefits they bring you independent of the weight loss. The weight loss will come (and if you are still stalled in a couple of weeks, go through your logs and cut back some more).

If you can get your head around the scale and logging, though, that can make it easier. It all depends on how it affects you.
  • Be_theBest_Me
    Be_theBest_Me Posts: 768 Member
    edited February 2020
    ...have you all forgotten what happens at the beginning of the journey???? You count it all track it all and bust your *kitten* and the scale does the opposite of what you want for the first few weeks. Sometimes longer. She flat out said she is seeing results in her clothes!! That means what she is doing is working!! I've done this 3 separate times!! Each time is the same. Measure your body!! Look for positive results in all areas not just the scale!! I can run faster and longer....the scale doesn't agree but that doesn't mean I'm not doing what's right!! Seems to me yall have been kinda mean to this lady!! I think she is doing great and needs to keep it up!!! Progress doesn't happen over night it takes time. Thyroid condition and other body ailments can change the way anyone's body loses or gains. Y'all are some *kitten* holes!! Guess y'all forgot where you came from in all this. The beginning you have to fight without visual results and sometimes it takes time to get that scale to fall in line!!! REAL LIFE!!

Nobody is being mean to her. We are sharing what works or has worked for us. I lost a good portion of my weight the first few weeks and months. I weighed every thing that went into my mouth. It works! that is facts, not meanness. Do you want solutions or cheerleading?

Sometimes you need a little solutions and cheers. Sometimes it helps to hear you are making progress when the scale says your not!!! Men always shred right away and I did too the first two times I lost weight......then thyroid became a raging *kitten*!!! This time...the beginning has been a *kitten*. Eating right measuring my portions drinking my water doing my cardio and killing my workouts....scale goes up then flat then up then down....took almost 2 months this time to see it move....you had to flat out say.....I'm not being mean....that is a tell that it was kinda rude.....y'all remember this is different for everyone!! Don't hate the way I share my success and support!! That whole dislike button is a crock of *kitten* y'all!! Your opinion and process is valid no matter what anyone else says!! I'm sure you had a few cheerleaders along the way that made success a lot easier during the times of struggle!!! It ain't always just about what you put in....it's about how your mind processes what's happening in your body!! This journey is more mental than physical!! All day!!!

Now--hope you've calmed down. I think the OP wants to be a success at losing weight, therefore we are all trying to help her figure out her problem and nudge her in the right direction. Cheers and hugs will not solve her problem. Sometimes you need to change things up. You do you and good luck, by the way.

No cheers and hugs don't make the weight come off but sometimes the struggle isn't in the process it's in the way your mind deals with that process!! Not everyone can just stick to a plan with no results. That's hard for emotional eaters and food addicts!! Whether you want to admit it or not sometimes we all need someone telling us you got this keep at this stage until you feel strong enough to press to the next subtle changes are the sustainable win!! Yes you will shred weight if you slice calories and drink water....that's great. Sweat it out lose it fast ...then what go back into life and your gaining immediately. No....that is not how everyone can or should do it. If you see changes in your clothes the way you feel but the scale isn't moving....means your on the right track. Period the scale moves with salt bloat and different foods we eat!! The scale can vary 10lbs a day!! That is a crazy swing to base your success on!! It is a damn tool!! I have weighed daily, weekly monthly. The scale still lies!! Sometimes when I get on that scale I need a meeting with my therapist after!! It's a mind melt!! Seriously y'all sometimes people just need to hear keep going winner you rock! Cause if I feel that way....someone else out there does!! Just cause you don't need a cheerleader or support doesn't mean others don't too. When someone asks for advice that's all they want they don't want to be picked apart and told their hole process is wrong. Even if it is. We are forgetting the human element here and our needs as a people to be accepted and feel like we are not alone......
  • snowflake954
    [quot :) e="snowflake954;c-44728669"]
    ...have you all forgotten what happens at the beginning of the journey???? You count it all track it all and bust your *kitten* and the scale does the opposite of what you want for the first few weeks. Sometimes longer. She flat out said she is seeing results in her clothes!! That means what she is doing is working!! I've done this 3 separate times!! Each time is the same. Measure your body!! Look for positive results in all areas not just the scale!! I can run faster and longer....the scale doesn't agree but that doesn't mean I'm not doing what's right!! Seems to me yall have been kinda mean to this lady!! I think she is doing great and needs to keep it up!!! Progress doesn't happen over night it takes time. Thyroid condition and other body ailments can change the way anyone's body loses or gains. Y'all are some *kitten* holes!! Guess y'all forgot where you came from in all this. The beginning you have to fight without visual results and sometimes it takes time to get that scale to fall in line!!! REAL LIFE!!

Nobody is being mean to her. We are sharing what works or has worked for us. I lost a good portion of my weight the first few weeks and months. I weighed every thing that went into my mouth. It works! that is facts, not meanness. Do you want solutions or cheerleading?

Sometimes you need a little solutions and cheers. Sometimes it helps to hear you are making progress when the scale says your not!!! Men always shred right away and I did too the first two times I lost weight......then thyroid became a raging *kitten*!!! This time...the beginning has been a *kitten*. Eating right measuring my portions drinking my water doing my cardio and killing my workouts....scale goes up then flat then up then down....took almost 2 months this time to see it move....you had to flat out say.....I'm not being mean....that is a tell that it was kinda rude.....y'all remember this is different for everyone!! Don't hate the way I share my success and support!! That whole dislike button is a crock of *kitten* y'all!! Your opinion and process is valid no matter what anyone else says!! I'm sure you had a few cheerleaders along the way that made success a lot easier during the times of struggle!!! It ain't always just about what you put in....it's about how your mind processes what's happening in your body!! This journey is more mental than physical!! All day!!!

Now--hope you've calmed down. I think the OP wants to be a success at losing weight, therefore we are all trying to help her figure out her problem and nudge her in the right direction. Cheers and hugs will not solve her problem. Sometimes you need to change things up. You do you and good luck, by the way.

No cheers and hugs don't make the weight come off but sometimes the struggle isn't in the process it's in the way your mind deals with that process!! Not everyone can just stick to a plan with no results. That's hard for emotional eaters and food addicts!! Whether you want to admit it or not sometimes we all need someone telling us you got this keep at this stage until you feel strong enough to press to the next subtle changes are the sustainable win!! Yes you will shred weight if you slice calories and drink water....that's great. Sweat it out lose it fast ...then what go back into life and your gaining immediately. No....that is not how everyone can or should do it. If you see changes in your clothes the way you feel but the scale isn't moving....means your on the right track. Period the scale moves with salt bloat and different foods we eat!! The scale can vary 10lbs a day!! That is a crazy swing to base your success on!! It is a damn tool!! I have weighed daily, weekly monthly. The scale still lies!! Sometimes when I get on that scale I need a meeting with my therapist after!! It's a mind melt!! Seriously y'all sometimes people just need to hear keep going winner you rock! Cause if I feel that way....someone else out there does!! Just cause you don't need a cheerleader or support doesn't mean others don't too. When someone asks for advice that's all they want they don't want to be picked apart and told their hole process is wrong. Even if it is. We are forgetting the human element here and our needs as a people to be accepted and feel like we are not alone......[/quote]

Whew!....so glad you're working with a therapist. I was getting worried. Yoga is very good. It will help.
  • snowflake954
    I will only "cheer and hug" people if what they are doing is actually going to help them achieve their goals. If not? I'm the type who won't give them a "You go, girl!" if where they're going is in the wrong direction. A true friend is encouraging but not enabling.

May I cheer and hug you? Love your posts. ;)
  • Nimbkar
    Nimbkar Posts: 67 Member
    I was in the same boat last month.
    Up your exercise and count your calories .
    Small snacks add up quickly so be mindful while snacking.
    I use fitbit and do 10,000 steps every day. About 5000 is from running/walking.
    Try to limit your food intake to an 8 hour window. It is quite difficult to do in the beginning so I give it my best for the day. Some days, I eat outside of the 8 hour window but I try to do better the next day.
    Give it time.

• tmac68w
    tmac68w Posts: 19 Member
    The best advice on motivation I have ever recieved was that never do anything purely because of motivation. Motivation is imconsistent and often absent. However, discipline and habits will remain without motivation. I think you force yourself to do it long enough until it becomes habit and discipline. A lower intensity mediocre workout is better than no workout at all. Stay disciplined.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    It looks to me like calories are off but you can't bring yourself to count them. How about the My Plate method? https://www.choosemyplate.gov/WhatIsMyPlate and you may just have to do some trial and error experimentation recording your results. If what you do now is not working, then consider what you could change. Are there a lot of hidden fats and sugars sneaking in to add calories? Read food labels.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    I agree with the folks who said you’re not eating at a deficit. If you don’t want to use a food scale, totally your choice. Though you may deal with more frustrations regarding stalls and plateaus. You can’t out exercise too many calories.

You might want to look at the late night cravings. Are you hungry, or bored. Used to nibbling while you relax in the beings and watch TV? If you are hungry, why? Are you not eating enough during the day? What was dinner like? Enough lean protein, healthy fat, and fiber to keep you full?

I still focus on fitness victories to keep me going. Lifting a little more weight or doing more reps, making my intervals a little longer and my recovery a little shorter, being able to do a new yoga pose.