Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Thoughts on Beyond Burger and other fake meat

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    My point was that this is not fear mongering.as some loon assumed. Understand what you are eating. There are good options and there are bad. My neighbor makes incredible veggie burgers from scratch using ingredients we can pronounce.

But I can pronounce all those ingredients, and other than one or two I might have to look up, I know what they are.

Maybe if you were more specific about which of those ingredients you're struggling to pronounce, we could help you with it.

The funniest thing is that the ingredients people usually point to as most suspect due to being 'unpronounceable' are the vitamins.

If whole foods came in with a list of "ingredients", nobody would eat them.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    3kygdq15niey.jpg

There are lots of ingredients that are perfectly safe for human consumption, but are also used in animal food or even in inedible products.

It's classic blogosphere fear mongering to suggest you shouldn't consume an ingredient because it's sometimes used in a product you wouldn't consume.

Water is the first ingredient in many toxic household cleaners, for example the Soft Scrub I just used to clean my sink. Do you really want to drink something that makes up the majority of Soft Scrub?

ETA: And considering the movement toward all-natural, whole food pet foods, not to mention the homemade pet food trend, I'd hazard a guess that many pet owners are buying a pet food because it has the kind of ingredients they would eat. The pet food market ain't what it used to be :wink:

Soy Protein Concentrate, Coconut Oil, Sunflower Oil, Natural Flavors, Potato Protein, Methylcellulose, Yeast Extract, Cultured Dextrose, Food Starch Modified, Soy Leghemoglobin, Salt, Soy Protein Isolate, Mixed Tocopherols, Zinc Gluconate, Thiamine Hydrochloride, Sodium Ascorbate, Niacin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Vitamin B12.

What are you attempting to communicate to us here?
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Sorry, which of those ingredients are you unable to pronounce? Most of the words are long, but pretty straightforward.

Took me some time before I realized the proper way to pronounce 'jicama' though.

I struggle to say "aubergine," which puts me in the awkward situation of being able to eat eggplant here in the States, but having to turn it down in the UK.

Yes, and I'll have a hard time ordering sorrel soup in Russia. (It's pronounced "shchee". At least, when it comes to borshch, I can 'cheat' and call it borsht.)
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    They are building a new BK down the block from me, and as soon as that bad boy has it's grand opening I'm going to try an Impossible Whopper now. Maybe do my own comparison taste test!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,953 Member
    They are building a new BK down the block from me, and as soon as that bad boy has it's grand opening I'm going to try an Impossible Whopper now. Maybe do my own comparison taste test!

I tried the Beyond Burger in a sample at Costco the other day.

Ugh. Tastes like meat. If my memory's any good, not really very good meat . . . but it's been 45 years. ;) Kinda weird texture, too, IMO - seems like ground beef patties hung together a little more. I dunno.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    They said the Beyond Burger is not 100% plants/veggies. It has a small amount of meat in it.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    dbanks80 wrote: »
    They said the Beyond Burger is not 100% plants/veggies. It has a small amount of meat in it.

Who says? The company that makes it says it's vegan.
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    just_Tomek wrote: »

Who says? The company that makes it says it's vegan.

They. They say it. They know what they are talking about.

Well of course. They said that the other they are reliable. Do you doubt they verifying them?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

Who said that? And what would be the point of putting just a small amount of meat in it? It's not like just a small amount is going to give it a texture and taste that reminds some people of meat.

You'd still need to do all the work of creating an overall texture and taste that did the job and for what . . . like a practical joke?
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited February 2020
    Based on the web searches I've done while following this thread, Yahoo News threw me a story that Kellogg's is coming out with it's own plant-based burger products.

The name : Incogmeato :lol::lol::lol:

Hilarious.

Also makes me think of the Seinfeld debate between the Bro and the Manssier.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    edited February 2020

Maybe you saw the story about BK not guaranteeing there’s no meat in the Impossible Whopper because they cook them alongside the beef burgers. But the patty has no meat, just possibly cross-contamination at Burger King.

My husband was telling me about an article he read on Yahoo News. Some guy who is Vegan is suing BK because it wasnt 100% plant based. According to the article BK admitted they add a small amount of meat.