Dieting/Mental Health Help

Possible TW

Dieting has always been a tricky street for me. I used to suffer from anorexia in middle school into high school. Whenever I think about dieting or start to diet my anxorexia brain kicks in and convinces me to just stop eating entirely since "thats what dieting feels like anyway". I've relapsed a bunch because of this. Anorexia isn't healthy, just look up the effects; and starving yourself makes your body store every bit of fat from food you do eat incase you go into another starvation period. I'm 320 lbs and exersize alone doesn't help me loose weight- Do you have any advice to get out of this unhealthy mindset of dieting?

Replies

• sdavis484
    sdavis484 Posts: 160 Member
    What's TW?
  • gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    sdavis484 wrote: »
    What's TW?
    “Trigger warning” so that some people who feel upset by discussions of eating disorders know to stop reading and go to a different thread.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    First have you talked to your therapist/counselor/team about some guidance on an approach? Do they think counting calories is safe for you? My gut would say that if they believe it’s safe - try eating at maintenance calories for a while to learn how to maintain your weight. Then look for small changes once you are ready to cut. I’d definitely encourage you to keep in regular contact with a health professional and focus on a very slow approach. You might even consider planning to take maintenance breaks regularly to keep you from feeling restricted.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    First of all, it’s fantastic that you are putting your mental health above your weight. Do you have someone (a therapist, a dietitian, etc.) who can monitor you to stop you when it looks like you’re relapsing? Also, it might help to reframe what you are doing as “improving your health through a balanced diet” rather than “going on a diet to lose weight.” That way, you can be more focused on having good health habits (including having good mental health habits) than on the number on the scale.