I won’t track calories anymore

Replies

• syeda2007
    syeda2007 Posts: 23 Member
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Based on what's been said, the OP's treatment team is encouraging her to stop calorie counting and measuring.

And it seems that she is trying to comply. Achieving this will be a major step towards recovery for her.

Encouraging her to continue to count and measure is probably quite counterproductive for her needs.

Thank you and sorry about earlier post.
  • syeda2007
    I suggest you also budget your money by paying no attention to your salary or expenses. This is the same plan you want for nutrition[/quote]

Not really, not for me. Some people are absolutely fine with how they budget their money, but calorie counting does not work for them and is completely unrelated to budgeting skills. However you have your own opinion.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Eat half of them cooked, too. It makes the vitamins more accessible to your body. You cannot extract all the vitamins from eating only raw vegetables. For example, would you eat a raw sweet potato? :X I would not. But cooked, it's very good for you.
  • syeda2007
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    (snip)
    What I don't understand is the need -- by OP -- to suggest that counting is wrong for all or not as good as other methods.
    (snip)

I'm going to risk going a little meta here.

I'm assuming it's an instance of the phenomenon where a subset of people seem to need to feel that their personal choices are objectively the best, in some universal sense.

I've even encountered people who behaved this way about tastes in music, food, movies, reading matter, clothing styles: They considered a person inferior who didn't share their "good" tastes, and felt personally criticized and affronted when another person expressed disagreement (not in any abusive terms**) with their personal preferences. (** Such as by saying "I don't enjoy that" or "I prefer X".)

It seems like this sort of thing would be more likely to happen for beliefs closer to ones self-image core, which weight management and exercise choices may be.

I'm inclined to think - speculating - that this is a trait that may indicate a lack of self-confidence or ego-strength, but I'm not sure. I'm quite confident that when it shows up in communicating with others, it's likely to create nonessential social conflict, affect friendships unfavorably, and generally bring unnecessary negativity into one's life. That would be a sad thing, but not really a blameful one (not a character fault), in my world.

Just my opinion, though.

No nothing like that. I’m only human, I didn’t mention my ED in OP, so didn’t mean to come across like that. Also some people are sarcastic, so I got a bit snappy at them and ridiculed them for counting calories but I take that back. I am human, and not perfect. In my OP I said to everyone good luck if calorie counting works for you.

MFP is a platform to share, with people so that is what I simply did, I don’t think my opinion or choice is better than yours, whatever works for whoever is what I said in original post.

• gothchiq
    I have yet to read a study that supports your view on sugar, any chance u have the source? Just curious I enjoy info. And I get it with the being tired of calorie counting. For me it's the only thing that works and I've tried everything. Good luck!

The sugar thing has to do with how your body processes it. If you are insulin resistant or low on insulin, in other words diabetic or prediabetic, then sugar isn't great for you because you can't process it right and it floats around in your blood causing problems. Without these problems you can enjoy it in moderation if you are psychologically able to do so.

To some people it's a trigger for overeating or even binging, all insulin aside. That was a thing for me before the 'beetus struck. Probably how I got this way in the first place. I cut out all added sugars in an attempt to go into remission (yes, doctor's guidance) and the cravings went away much faster than expected. I'll be able to report back in April about how hemoglobin A1C has fared.

If OP here has an ED, sugar may be a psychological issue.
  • syeda2007
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Based on what's been said, the OP's treatment team is encouraging her to stop calorie counting and measuring.

And it seems that she is trying to comply. Achieving this will be a major step towards recovery for her.

Encouraging her to continue to count and measure is probably quite counterproductive for her needs.

I agree with this 100%, but I don't understand why the OP created this thread. I could happily live without the news that she has decided, on her treatment teams orders, to quit calorie counting. It is not for everyone, OK, but it works for many of us and is not stressful. I'm happy that she is now an expert on calories. Good luck OP. What else is there to say?

There is no need to be rude, do you own MFP? I can post my decisions on here if I want, if your not interested in my life, don’t comment. Bye!

• syeda2007
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    @syeda2007 when you are responding to a post, just hit the Quote button and start typing underneath like what you did when you responded to PAV three posts up.

What you're doing now is confusing because you are often typing in someone else's post and figuring out who said what is difficult.

Thank you
  • gothchiq
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    gothchiq wrote: »
    I have yet to read a study that supports your view on sugar, any chance u have the source? Just curious I enjoy info. And I get it with the being tired of calorie counting. For me it's the only thing that works and I've tried everything. Good luck!

The sugar thing has to do with how your body processes it. If you are insulin resistant or low on insulin, in other words diabetic or prediabetic, then sugar isn't great for you because you can't process it right and it floats around in your blood causing problems. Without these problems you can enjoy it in moderation if you are psychologically able to do so.

To some people it's a trigger for overeating or even binging, all insulin aside. That was a thing for me before the 'beetus struck. Probably how I got this way in the first place. I cut out all added sugars in an attempt to go into remission (yes, doctor's guidance) and the cravings went away much faster than expected. I'll be able to report back in April about how hemoglobin A1C has fared.

If OP here has an ED, sugar may be a psychological issue.

OP was not saying that she was avoiding sugar. She linked an article that said sugar after a meal is needed because of the energy spike helping digestion which makes little sense to me (surely all the food you just ate contains energy) but I don't care if people do or do not eat sugar after a meal.

That's interesting. I have never heard this before. I'm not going to try it for obvious reasons, but it might make sense of people's desire to eat dessert.
  • syeda2007
    gothchiq wrote: »
    Eat half of them cooked, too. It makes the vitamins more accessible to your body. You cannot extract all the vitamins from eating only raw vegetables. For example, would you eat a raw sweet potato? :X I would not. But cooked, it's very good for you.

Yes that’s true, thank you. I was just being vague, I should have worded it more correctly. I roast the sweet potatoes myself. But at the moment, I’m eating the fruit and veg which don’t need to be cooked such as carrots, spinach, cucumber, red peppers. I think my body was lacking natural raw vegetables and fruits. I also watched a YouTube video by Sadhguru and he talks about food in it pure form, and it’s apparent ‘codes.’ But yes some veggies and fruit taste better and release it’s nutrients when cooked.
  • gothchiq
    You definitely get a load of fiber in raw vegetables. I'm a big fan of crunchy salads with as many types of veg as I can reasonably cram in. XD
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    I haven't noticed anyone saying that all veg and fruit should be eaten half cooked, half raw. People are saying the advice by OP to only eat fruit and veg raw is bad, since in some cases veg have more accessible vitamins cooked, so eating some cooked, some raw is a good idea, and doing some sort of raw food thing is not supported by the evidence -- basically ignore the raw food propaganda. I don't consider something so easy re nutrition majoring in the minors.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,931 Member
    Well OP was saying we should eat them all raw, although I know she later modified that.

I don't disagree with you ,my post was more referring to earlnabbey's above mine.

I don't disagree with her either - but I do think in real life we don't need to overanalyse our diets for which veg are better nutrition raw or cooked, if we eat a half way decent diet we will not be nutritionally deprived.
    I'm not saying earnabbey said otherwise , it was just me continuing on further from her post.