Plantar Fasciitis

I hear this is a common thing so I thought I would ask some advice! I've been hit with plantar fasciitis really bad in one foot, I've been stretching every night and rolling a frozen bottle on my foot but it's still persistent! I'm fairly active in my work so I can't rest it completely either. I'm just getting back into working out after a few years of doing very little and this is holding me back so much! Usually I run or jump rope for cadio but every time I have done that recently the next day I can barely put my foot on the floor.

So I was just wondering, if you've suffered from this before what did you do for cardio? I've been using the bike most days but my fat butt is complaining! Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Unfortunately, PF can be a nagging issue if not allowed to heal completely. That usually means rest. (Not what you want to hear, I know). I've suffered from a variety of achilles/PF issues and did plenty of stretching and rolling.

Despite my diligence, the bottom line for me was that unless I allowed sufficient time for the inflammation to go away, it would recur as soon as I resumed running. As far as alternatives, cycling or rowing are a couple options. Swimming is also a good total body cardio exercise.

Good luck.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    edited February 2020
    I have healed mine with no rest.
    Keys?
    Superfeet insoles.
    This stretch: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/11/061101150739.htm
    Picture of the stretch: https://footeducation.com/plantar-fascia-specific-stretch/
  • MattHilburn
    MattHilburn Posts: 17 Member
    Foot ware is very important. For me I started wearing cowboy boots with a tall heel. It helped my PF a lot. I also got some of the PF insoles in my regular shoes also
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Figuring out root cause is key - for most people it’s tight calves - I do a lot of focused work - stretches, trigger point therapy on mine that helps
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,551 Member
    When I had it, my GP referred me to a physiotherapist who prescribed the following passive plantar/calf stretch which removed my symptoms after a few weeks.

You need a slant board. You can google "slant board calf stretch" for elegant looking commercial solutions. I gaffer taped a 12 inch piece of plywood to a three inch thick phonebook. Stand with toes raised on the slant board for at least 10 minutes at a time at least twice a day. If your balance is not great, hold onto a countertop.

I set up a stretch station in the kitchen for while I was doing chopping and another one in front of the bathroom sink to stretch while brushing teeth and drying hair..
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,551 Member
    For cardio I would use the rowing machine.
  • I used night splints and that helped a lot. It still flares if I do a lot of walking in old shoes, but obviously that's under my control.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Rest....stretch.... physio.
    It's painful but it's fixable. Maybe get some new shoes. I know my shoes are needing to be replaced when it starts flaring up
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Maybe a visit with a podiatrist. Maybe some supportive medical device as suggested above. Maybe acupressure or targetted foot massage. A combo of all three worked for me. But it's better to be preventative once you get rid of it the first time.
  • vivo1972
    vivo1972 Posts: 129 Member
    I bought these and they are incredible. I'm ok right now but it got to a point where I could barely walk. I read the reviews and I thought Ok I'll give them a go.

The result was immediate. I could walk ok, with a little pain but actually walk! now I only use them when i have a twinge or going on a hike.

They really work.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01M0XB243/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    Do a search in this forum. This question gets asked and answered every now and then. There's tons of good suggestions about what worked for people. I had it terribly 5 years ago. It lasted about a year. Sidelined my running completely. It can heal, but it takes time. I hope you figure out what works for you. PF stinks.
  • johnbtay3
    johnbtay3 Posts: 170 Member
    Make sure you get fitted for proper shoes and support. You may need more or less arch support based on your arch.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    There are shoe inserts designed to address this. If that doesn't help, I'd talk to a podiatrist to get custom ones, provided there is a way to afford it.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    For shoes I was told Saucony or Asics are best. I love Saucony, haven't had any issues with them. Everyone has different advice and what worked for them. See a dr or physiotherapist they will be able to help you
  • johnbtay3
    johnbtay3 Posts: 170 Member
    There is a shoe store near me called Fleet feet. They analyze your walking then have a computerized scanner to scan your feet to determine the proper shoes. The gait analysis and scan are free.