Protein powders

How much protein powder are you consuming a day? I currently have two shakes. One blend and other Whey.

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Some weeks I have none. Some weeks I have it a couple of times. I have a high protein diet so supplementing is not a regular need.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Only once a week, if that, in winter. I'm too freaking cold to even contemplate a cold beverage, so I tend to go heavier on the lean meats. Summer, I maybe do one shake a day while camping or on weekends when my cardio load is lower or my ability to cook is hampered.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,707 Member
    Generally about 2 scoops of Plant based protein a day, usually at night when ?I get home after the gym. I workout after work and work afternoon to evening. I also do not eat meat, poultry, eggs or dairy.I eat fish and take Hydrolyzed collagen.
    I really enjoy and look forward to my protein. I do not make it in a shake, I heat it up with a bit of cahew milk and water like a hot chocolate. It keeps me happy and is easier to handl at night.
    I work for one of the biggest vitamin and supplement retailors and have tried many. I used to use whey but only do the plant based now.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,707 Member
    Only once a week, if that, in winter. I'm too freaking cold to even contemplate a cold beverage, so I tend to go heavier on the lean meats. Summer, I maybe do one shake a day while camping or on weekends when my cardio load is lower or my ability to cook is hampered.

That's why I turn mine into a "hot chcolate" !
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Some days none. Some days about 40 to 50 grams of protein worth. I also don't typically do shakes though. I mix chocolate whey with greek yogurt. It makes a "chocolate mousse" kind of thing. I add a banana and some nuts and seeds.

I also make protein pancakes using unflavored whey, flour, yogurt egg and baking powder. I find solid foods more satiating than liquids.
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,308 Member
    Once a day.... I've been eating mostly high carb foods(not gonna give it up either).. only way I can up my protein intake..
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    20-40g of whey per day usually (unflavoured). I mix it with chocolate milk mix or add it to a supplement shake.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited February 2020
    None.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,582 Member
    6 grams. I only ever really mix it into cottage cheese or greek yogurt.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member
    edited February 2020
    VegjoyP wrote: »
    That's why I turn mine into a "hot chcolate" !

Yes, this time of year I have chocolate protein powder (and chia seeds and dried coconut for fat and fiber) in warm (but not hot) coffee once per day.

When the weather gets warmer, I will have mostly unflavored PP with fruits and veggies and a fat source.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited February 2020
    Maybe 3 shakes per week. I don't have any need to supplement daily.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    edited February 2020
    Five or six scoops - about 150g on top of about another 75-100g from “normal” food sources.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member
    Zero, ever. Don't enjoy protein powder (don't find it tasty or filling), only need around 100g protein daily, prefer to get it from food (ovo-lacto vegetarian food). Usually exceed goal, sometimes by 20% plus.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Pretty much never. There is no need for it if you get enough protein from your diet, and I prefer to get mine from food I enjoy, rather than trying to force down a protein shake just because.

On a rare ocassion I will have these pre-made protein drinks I can buy at the supermarket. But that's largely because I enjoy the taste of them, so then they make sense to use as a protein source.

• GregInORL
    GregInORL Posts: 232 Member
    Usually once a day (2 scoops chocolate whey) when I'm aiming for a deficit. This helps me keep protein intake up when I have less calories to work with. Might continue to incorporate it when I'm aiming for maintenance cals too. (maybe with food? Love the chocolate mousse idea.)