How many calories recommended for...?

bidingmytime
bidingmytime Posts: 129 Member
edited February 2020 in Food and Nutrition
Anyone have tips on that sweet spot number for calories? I was planning on gauging my daily calorie intake around the TDEE calculator via the Basal Metabolic Rate. However, I feel that that number may be too high. But I also don't want to make a too large of a calorie deficit because that might cause my metabolism to run slower.

For those of you who calorie count and have a lot of weight to lose (100+), what do you find works best for you?

Replies

• bidingmytime
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Until I got enough of my own data, I just let MFP set everything up and went with that. Once I had 6-8 weeks of consistent logging under my belt, I adapted based on my results.

Wise approach. Thanks!
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    All those calculators work based on averages. But not a single person is average. Some will be a bit above, some a bit below. I'm one of the lucky people I guess because my calorie burns are quite a bit higher than those estimates. So lets say MFP told me to eat 1420kcal per day to lose 0.25kg per week. Looking at my historical data I could eat about 1550 per day and would lose about 0.3-0.4kg per week when sedentary. For others it might be the other way around. So it really helps to log for a couple of weeks, look at the data and continue based on that.
  • bidingmytime
    yirara wrote: »
    All those calculators work based on averages. But not a single person is average. Some will be a bit above, some a bit below. I'm one of the lucky people I guess because my calorie burns are quite a bit higher than those estimates. So lets say MFP told me to eat 1420kcal per day to lose 0.25kg per week. Looking at my historical data I could eat about 1550 per day and would lose about 0.3-0.4kg per week when sedentary. For others it might be the other way around. So it really helps to log for a couple of weeks, look at the data and continue based on that.

Yes. I am logging all my data and making sure to scrutinize my micros as well. Very important for me. I find that when I'm lacking in certain nutrients, I tend to binge more.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Anyone have tips on that sweet spot number for calories? I was planning on gauging my daily calorie intake around the TDEE calculator via the Basal Metabolic Rate. However, I feel that that number may be too high. But I also don't want to make a too large of a calorie deficit because that might cause my metabolism to run slower.

For those of you who calorie count and have a lot of weight to lose (100+), what do you find works best for you?

Your BMR is the calories you burn merely existing...why the heck would you think that's too high for weight loss? I mean...you surely must do more than just exist.
  • bidingmytime
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Your BMR is the calories you burn merely existing...why the heck would you think that's too high for weight loss? I mean...you surely must do more than just exist.

Haha! True. But I'm wondering if metabolism and hormones play into it at all, too. Do you think so? For instance, those with Type 2 Diabetes. Would they follow their BMR? Or would the doctor most likely suggest for them to go lower calorie-wise?