Increase reps?

My goal is to get stronger, protect my bones as I age, and lose fat. I have been increasing my reps. Started at 3 sets of 12, now at 3 sets of 22. Does it really do anything to increase reps?

Would it be better to break it down into more sets with fewer reps and more weight changes? For example 4 sets of 17.

Right now my weight changes are to add 10 lbs and then subtract 5 (30 lbs, 40 lbs, 35 lbs). I do use the machines so those are not *actual* weights. LOL

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    TinnieLyn wrote: »
    My goal is to get stronger, protect my bones as I age, and lose fat. I have been increasing my reps. Started at 3 sets of 12, now at 3 sets of 22. Does it really do anything to increase reps?

Would it be better to break it down into more sets with fewer reps and more weight changes? For example 4 sets of 17.

Right now my weight changes are to add 10 lbs and then subtract 5 (30 lbs, 40 lbs, 35 lbs). I do use the machines so those are not *actual* weights. LOL

Lower weight, higher reps is most beneficial for muscular endurance. Higher weight, less reps is better for strength. Physique is most benefited by moderate weight, moderate reps...like 3 or 4 sets of 8-12. Resistance training in general will help preserve bone density. Losing fat is a bi-product of a calorie deficit, not how many reps and sets you're doing.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Hugely inefficient to do such high reps.
    The first 19 of your 22 reps are giving you next to no benefit apart from a some muscular endurance which isn't apparently your goal.

Increasing the weight is far more in line with your bone health goal.

Supporting your weight through your skeleton with free weights would also probably be more beneficial for your goal rather than using machines.
  • TinnieLyn
    TinnieLyn Posts: 3 Member
    Thanks, guys. 🙂. Ultimately my goal is to be a strong and healthy old lady. I'm also doing some cardio a few times a week and will be hiking again this summer.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited February 2020
    TinnieLyn wrote: »

So I'm to understand you want to get stronger in general?

If so, pick a rep range or intensity range you have access to or prefer and work from there. We can get strong in any rep range. The difference for people is how they measure strength.

From what limited info I have on you I would try something along the lines of...

Do a top set that you can complete 12-20 reps with one or two left in the tank. Its okay if you are over 20 reps the first time just bump the weight next sessionand adjust.

Take 8-10% off of the initial set and continue to 12 rep sets. Stop doing sets when you have only one/two left in tank.

The next session you should be able to do more rep(s) for your initial set.

If you just want to keep reps between 12-20reps and aim for same amount of reps or what you have been doing...that's fine as well. I would just adjust weight so more than 20 reps.

Actual weight from a machine doesn't matter. The number is arbitrary and the way used to measure progress.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    sijomial wrote: »
    Hugely inefficient to do such high reps.
    The first 19 of your 22 reps are giving you next to no benefit apart from a some muscular endurance which isn't apparently your goal.

Increasing the weight is far more in line with your bone health goal.

Supporting your weight through your skeleton with free weights would also probably be more beneficial for your goal rather than using machines.

This. Don’t be afraid of heavy weights and lifting free weights instead of machines. Both are more beneficial for bone health than high reps at low weight. Lifting heavy is also beneficial in improving insulin resistance which lowers the risk of diabetes.
  • TinnieLyn
    TinnieLyn Posts: 3 Member
    Thanks again, guys. I've increased the weights and that made me decrease the reps. But I'm back to that "happy, accomplished" feeling.

I do avoid the free weights. LOL. The machines are self explanatory and I'm less likely to feel foolish.. 😂😂. That silly pride...