Treadmill question

Options
Hey guys I just started going to the gym and I feel I need hold on to the railibgs6 I feel like if I don't I'm fall and break my neck. I been watching some you tube videos it says not to do it. I don't lean I always stand up straight but I don't wanna hurt myself any advice? I usually walk from 30-35. Does everyone think im stupid because I have too😞

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Hold on until you’re comfortable. Try starting off slower til you can let go and increase your speed gradually.
  • harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    At what speed do you have the treadmill? Do, you think you might be more at ease walking at a slower pace, and building?
  • thenewkayla
    thenewkayla Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Even at 20 I don't feel confortable main reason is I'm accident prone😬
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    There are no railings on sidewalks, do you fall an break your neck on them? Seriously though, treadmills can feel weird at first. Start off slow and at a low incline and gradually build up pace etc as your comfort level increases. Patience & consistency......
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    You're not weird. :) I hold on too and probably always will. At 66, I don't need a trip to the hospital for broken anything, in my quest for better health.
    Not to be snarky, but are there real benefits to not holding on? Maybe a few extra calories burned? I'm simply curious. And walking outside is a whole different ballgame then walking on a narrow conveyor belt. :) If I had to start off slow to feel comfortable walking without the handles, I'd be stuck at 2 mph. This way I'm walking 4-4.2 mph comfortably and confidently.
    JMO so no, OP, you are NOT alone. :)
  • thenewkayla
    thenewkayla Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    There are no railings on sidewalks, do you fall an break your neck on them? Seriously though, treadmills can feel weird at first. Start off slow and at a low incline and gradually build up pace etc as your comfort level increases. Patience & consistency......

I've falling up the stairs before so yes😂
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Start out very slowly...like 1mph without holding on the railings, build your confidence and add speed from there. As a runner, I sometimes have to use a treadmill to get in adequate training, but I STILL have nightmares about falling (flying/rolling) off.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I don’t often use a treadmill but I usually try to at least have one hand resting on the railing since I am also accident prone. I start at a slow pace and increase a little at a time. Most of the treadmills I use also have a “stop” tether that I clip to my shirt. It stops the treadmill when it becomes detached because I’ve slipped too far back in the machine.