Meeting Protein Macros

How do you meet your protein macros without going over in carbs or fat? I can't seem to get it right. If not, I am waaaaay under in protein.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Many people fat as a minimum goal and don't worry too much about going over it.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    if you are going over in fat look at less fatty cuts of meat; dial back carbs and plus up protein etc
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    The thread below links to a spreadsheet that lists many, many foods in order by protein efficiency: Most protein for fewest calories. Inherently, it means that the most protein-efficient foods will be relatively low in carbs, fats, or both.

Take a look, find things in the spreadsheet that you enjoy eating, and eat more of those, less of something else that isn't helping your meet your nutritional goals and isn't important to you for other reasons.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also
  • KevinWH87
    KevinWH87 Posts: 74 Member
    Would you be willing to make your food diary public? Maybe I (or others) could give you some more specific advice on what you're already eating.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,907 Member
    Practice.

No one gets this right away.

Either pre-log your food and tweak portions to fit OR study your food after the fact and tweak it tomorrow. I can hit pretty close most days, but not at first I didn't. It took playing with my recipes and meals until I had a good grasp of what the macros were in my favorite foods.
  • Scottgriesser
    Scottgriesser Posts: 172 Member
    Easiest way- meal prep the same meals for the entire week and use protein powder where necessary.
    Best way- meal prep a menu that hits all of your goals and has a variety of foods in it.
    Not gonna work way- eat random stuff and log after in the hopes it all works out ok.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    I really like the Premier Protein shakes. 30 grams protein 160 calories 1 gram sugar

It helps me a lot to meet my protein goal while staying low in calories and sugar
  • AdrianSee1975
    AdrianSee1975 Posts: 11 Member
    Lean meats (including chicken and some types of fish), high protein/low carb yoghurt, whey protein powder.
    All are high protein and very low carb/fat.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Protein powder!
  • Onedaywriter
    Onedaywriter Posts: 324 Member
    Protein powder!

I’m shooting for 30% protein and I’m usually not quite there. After fighting for a while to keep away from anything sooo processed I decided to use protein powder. It helps. I workout and need the protein but some days are just carb kind of days. If I don’t get enough protein I feel sore the next day.
  • sarahwinston2
    sarahwinston2 Posts: 20 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    What is your protein goal?

Thanks!
  • sarahwinston2
    Thanks! I'm shooting for 40% also. My carbs are 111 and my fat is 49 g.
  • sarahwinston2
    Would have responded earlier to you guys but didn't see until I checked
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member

40% seems high. How many grams is that for you? Is there a reason you're aiming for such a high protein intake? In all likelihood, it's unnecessary.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

40% seems high. How many grams is that for you? Is there a reason you're aiming for such a high protein intake? In all likelihood, it's unnecessary.

According to math, it's 147.5 grams, given that 111 g of carbs (444 cals) and 49 g of fat (441 cals) are 60% of OP's calorie goal (leaving 40% for protein).
  • sarahwinston2
    Yeah it's about 148 according to MFP. I'm doing it to reduce my body fat percentage and lose inches. A nutritionist said the 30-40-30 breakdown was good for that purpose.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Yeah it's about 148 according to MFP. I'm doing it to reduce my body fat percentage and lose inches. A nutritionist said the 30-40-30 breakdown was good for that purpose.

That's unnecessarily high.

Common wisdom around here is that 0.6-0.8g per lb of ideal (not current) weight, or 1g per lb of LBM if you know it is a good target, as a minimum. Fats at 0.35-0.45g per lb of ideal weight as a minimum, let carbs fall where they may according to preferences.
  • sarahwinston2
    Thanks! That gets me to about 75-100 grams per day, which is better, lol. Usually I hit about 57 per day.