WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2020

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,707 Member
    edited February 2020
    SuziQ113 wrote: »
    Wow, you get things done during your time off. Do you ever take a me day?

I know you addressed this to Kylia, but I thought it was an interesting question.

My answer is "No" ... at least, not for a long, long time, years. And I doubt I will take a "me" day until late October at the earliest.

But one of my hopes is that when I'm finished this degree, I might be able to do that!! :) At this point, I'm not even sure what it would include.

What would you do with a day in which you could do anything you wanted?

Let's say a full 24-hours, from the time you went to bed (i.e. midnight) until the time you went to bed the next night.

M in Oz
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,689 Member
    Machka - I struggle with those days that I can do anything I want. I truly never know what I want. I struggle with doing things just for me. That is a very good question, I’ll need to give it some thought.
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,553 Member
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :) In 2004 my husband was diagnosed with a long list of heart ailments that sounded really scary. For months, I'd check on him every morning when I woke up or after walking dogs if he was still asleep. I stood over him to be sure he was still alive. Finally I realized that I was powerless and that I needed to just let life happen. Now I just stay in the moment and enjoy everything that happens every day. Every day on the top side of the grass is a good one. I've learned from some of you and from some of my line dance friends, that it is possible to keep on going after the death of one's husband. It's important to realize that none of us gets out of this alive.

:) I write in a gratitude journal every day. Sometimes I write things that are inspired by what is going on in the lives of others. I don't want to take all my good fortune for granted (indoor plumbing, electricity, a working garage door, the internet, clear skies, health, mobility, etc.)

:) Dogs are staring at me reminding me that I have all the necessary ingredients to take them for another walk.

<3 Barbie in NW WA

So much wisdom, Barbie. Thank you.

Flea
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,553 Member
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Hi Gals,

My dining room area only seats 3 so I have figured out how to do a pop up dining room in my garage, it works very well and I can make it as formal or informal as I choose. This was pretty low key and yet they all commented on this being one of the first non-family “Adult” parties they had ever been too. Cracked me up – I have been throwing dinner parties since I was 12.

I’ll attach a picture of us all at the table the bride is in the front and I am at the far end of the table.

Smiles Kim (an exhausted hostess) in Northern California
    kkwxnm3o3c8i.jpg

Lovely! I love the idea of a pop up dining room. The lights make it so beautiful.

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Michele- Soundes like a blast anyways. I’d love to meet Another President. Saw Clinton back in the day he held up our plane for hours so Secret Service could run get him a special drink . Think it was Apple juice but they had to run to a store the airport didn’t have it. / Later met the younger Bush he sat during a sun set drinking a juice box with my Daughter as they ate a FEMA meal box talking away. He was nice got on the phone fixed my problems with FEMA on the line that you call.They wrote my name wrong wouldn’t let me change it so I was being turned down for assistance for days. Meantime did what we had to survive since home y car was flooded. Lol 😂 they were rude to him too! Trying to convince them he was the president wasn’t easy. In the end it got fixed he checked all the water trucks to get numbers y figure out what was still needed. I’m still his fan because he was down to earth jumped in babysat Daughter then jumped in to help some more. He cares which was nice./ Obama called Daughter at school when she won the Presidential Award wanted her to come to the White House but she turned him down my Mothers Insurance was cancelled when the AffordableCare Act took place my Mom died quickly from it. Daughter wanted to be by her side which she glad she was in the very end.
    Who knows how many more we can meet by the time we’re old y grey.

Made some more snack trays yougurt 90cal Dannon fat free with honey 🍯 on top. No sugar added Apple pie filling 2 servings on the side yummy Cant wait.

Amber Tx

JR had a grandparent outing he met FIL for the 3rd time. MIL he sees a lot y my Dad. Hubby y him went grocery shopping 🛒 JR looked bored 😑 lol. Then home to eat. Right after JR wanted nap time.
  • wessecg
    wessecg Posts: 410 Member
    Beware ladies, this guy is a catfisher. There could be others. x5hbp6jb3u2w.jpg
  • Machka9
    Machka9 wrote: »

I know you addressed this to Kylia, but I thought it was an interesting question.

My answer is "No" ... at least, not for a long, long time, years. And I doubt I will take a "me" day until late October at the earliest.

But one of my hopes is that when I'm finished this degree, I might be able to do that!! :) At this point, I'm not even sure what it would include.

Let's say a full 24-hours, from the time you went to bed (i.e. midnight) until the time you went to bed the next night.

M in Oz

I've been thinking ...

Midnight - crawl into bed with book and read for 30-60 minutes or whenever I started dozing off.
    12:30 to 1 am - fall asleep
    Noon - wake up.

That's as far as I've gotten ... I'll ponder on my bus ride home. :)

M in Oz
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,639 Member
    Well I fell asleep at 6 pm and woke up at midnight.. so here I am watching tv . And having tea....
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,128 Member
    I always do what I want almost every day. :D:D:D

My question is, why wouldn't you? >:)

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    My riding lesson today was a pleasure. I look forward to the next one. I’m not sure when it will be. Watched a new episode of Outlander this evening, the first in a new series. I loved reading the books and am impressed with the TV production.😎
  • Machka9
    I always do what I want almost every day. :D:D:D

My question is, why wouldn't you? >:)

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

I hope you never find out.

M in Oz
  • Machka9

M in Oz

I've been thinking ...

Midnight - crawl into bed with book and read for 30-60 minutes or whenever I started dozing off.
    12:30 to 1 am - fall asleep
    Noon - wake up.

That's as far as I've gotten ... I'll ponder on my bus ride home. :)

M in Oz

OK ...

12:30 to 1 am - fall asleep.
    Noon - wake up.
    Brunch and putter around for a bit.
    1 pm or so - walk down to the beach to run, sit on the beach and read, splash in the water, etc.
    3 pm or so - lunch then drive out to a nice spot in the country for a bicycle ride.
    4 pm or so - cycle 50 km or so
    7 pm or so - out for dinner
    Later in the evening - watch a movie while working on my website or processing photos.
    And end the day reading some more. :)

A variation on that would involve a much longer bicycle ride starting about 1 pm followed by a hot shower or bath then dinner etc. :)

Another variation on that would include a long hike out in the wilderness, up a mountain or wherever. :)

Three days, each including one of those variations, would be even better!!! :grin:

Machka in Oz
  • cityjaneLondon
    We have more choices than we think.
    We can always change our attitude. :)

Kim - your dinner party looks lovely. What a joy to see those happy smiling faces around your table and enjoying themselves so much. They look like a great bunch! That is what good food can do in the world and why I love it so much. My happiness. <3 It really warms my heart.
    I hope you weren't too exhausted. :o:D I know how much work it takes.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,463 Member
    "Todo"s and "done"
    Done: church hospitality and council meeting, veg prep.
    Bonus: down/up hill once
    ToDo: Zumba instead of BB&B?, walk and coffee with Denise, hot tub with Carol, invest 10 mins cleaning, carry over 10 mins cleaning Kitchen/Laundry, Office, Master & Guest Bds, Master Bth, dip and, follow up for DEXA scan appt, install iCloud for Win 10, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, bake bran muffins, call Carolyn D. Next week Shadow to Mini Pet Mart to shop for crate, get Shingrix vaccine. Reward: inventory seeds, plan garden, order replenishments.
    SuziQ Thank you for sharing more of Charlie’s story. Think your decision to back off from his mom’s house was the most healthy option. “All – Thank you for being such a supportive group! I am extremely happy I have found you.” Ditto!
    Lanette “…And when that time comes I'll look for a restored '67 Mustang and change my own damn oil!” Atta gal! Just don’t do as I did with my 58 VW, be sure to position yourself carefully BEFORE removing the drain plug :laugh: :blush::laugh:
    Welcome Kitty121964. I too have loathed exercise all my days. A turning point for me was to re-frame it as “activity” and found some I really enjoy: aqua Zumba, line dancing, walking with the dogs. If you like it, you’ll do it, if you don’t…
    Pip, Yogi looks right at home in the new rig!
    Kim your creativity and energy, wow! Giving dinner parties since you were 12? The (lazy) introvert in me is shuddering.
    Amber, great stories about the presidents, especially the FEMA folk being rude to Geo W. Bet whoever it was, was embarrassed when they learned who the caller really was.

Campus is closed tomorrow for the Presidents’ Day holiday so no BB&B. Toying with the notion of dropping in on the Zumba class many of our line dancers attend. Wish me luck!

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    February: better than January.
    daily: steps=3279 vits=13 log=16 CI<CO=12 CI<250<CO=9 Tumble 5/10=11 mfp=16 outside=11 clean 10 mins=9 up hill=16
    wkly: BB&B x3=6, rx=2 dance=4 pack walk=3
    mnthly: board mtg= grant= review 20for20=1
  • cityjaneLondon
    Gorgeous photos, Machka! Your weather looks perfect at the moment. :D Amazing apples. :)

We are still in the aftermath of Storm Dennis. Gusty winds, heavy showers. Our neighbour's fence has broken and is flapping around.

Just now I tackled an important bit of my memoir that I have been procrastinating about for a few days. Now it's done! :D Once I actually started on it it went very easily and fast. I have found that once I have written about something it loses its power. The trauma has so much less grip on me now. I still have more to do, but my perspective is changing. :)

Love to all, Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Hello everyone!
    To say I am not in the least motivated to go to work is an understatement. Unlike some the company I work for does not consider President's Day a holiday. I am looking forward to the commute - no one will be on the road.

Heather - DG sounds very factual. I love the fact she was both in the competition and a fair judge. :smile: I also agree with you - we can take me moments throughout the day and it may be as simple as a 10-minute meditation. It's my thought we are only treated as good as we treat ourselves. And, by taking time for ourselves we only are able to give more to those we love.

Barbara - One day I may research the area as I do feel there is something about the land the home stands upon. That year was my worst one and it was the first time I ever got down on my knees and said, please stop I simply cannot stand any more right now. My MIL passed, DH passed, and shortly thereafter I was laid off. The lay off happened during the housing mess and I was unemployed for a little over a year. I am still catching up financially, but am getting there and project everything will be back in order by the end of this year. I ignored things for a long time.

Machka - My perfect me day. I would awaken at a beach-side hotel and enjoy a gourmet cup of coffee while I watched the sunrise. Then off to take a beach yoga session. Afterwards a nice, warm shower and a massage. After the massage I would then have a pool-side brunch and soak up a little sun. By then I would be a little sleepy so I would take a nap with the doors wide open, my room would have a balcony, and I would drift off listening to the waves. Dinner would be scheduled around sunset and would preferably be at a jazz club. Afterwards I would sit and enjoy the music and eventually go back to the hotel for a late-night beach walk.

Kim - I love your pop up dining room - what a creative idea. Everyone looks very happy so I would say it was a success.

Ginny - Honestly if I was in NJ when DH passed I would have burned down the house. His cousin said she would help so at least I would have been in good company while in jail. :wink: I can completely understand the therapy you had gotten from dismantling that chair.

I really must start to get ready for work. Hugs to all and prayers for those in need.
    SuziQ - SFL