Advice needed

I'm 5ft 10 and started at 15 stone 4 in March 2019. Never been to gym before and now I get up at 5am instead on 7am and do 1.5 hours a day, 5 days a week in gym before work.

Done cardio stuff for 6 months and got down to 14 stone 2. Since November 2019 until Feb 14th 2020 I have only lost 1 pound.

At Christmas I changed to weight training 5 days a week with Hiit cardio for 15 mins after each session plus a spin class.

I can't seem to shift any weight or measurements. My measurements have not changed since Sept 2019 so 6 months nearly.

It's so painful doing 5 days a week in gym and not improving weight or measurement.

3 weeks ago I started logging all food and on the 2lbs a week loss. I am always just under my new daily target. Weighed myself today and I have lost 0.2 lbs in 3 weeks even though the app stated by March I will be 12 stone if I keep to these calories 😂

I have changed my routine today as been on my previous one 8 weeks. I make sure I do chest and tri, back and bi, legs and total body workouts and have increased the weights I lift a lot too... I don't look any more toned at all. I still have my man boobs and belly fat....

Replies

• jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    So weight loss is like 85% diet. Therefore the problem is not in the workout, its whats going in your mouth. How accurate is your logging? Are u weighing and measuring your food?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    The solution to your problem will most likely be found in the kitchen and not the gym.
  • gazpainter
    gazpainter Posts: 22 Member
    Yeah I make sure I scan the barcodes and choose the right weight etc, I have a small bowl of Oats for breakfast with a banana and a coffee with milk no sugar after workout in morning around 8am... Nothing until lunch around 1pm I have grilled chicken breasts x 2 normally with some salad like tomatoes and spinich... Have a green tea no sugar... I drink water throughout day... Then have some healthy nuts around 3pm only a small amount... Maybe a protein yogurt.. Then have dinner around 6pm... I always make sure I hit around 140 protein and under my 2lb weight loss calorie deficit.....

I don't have any sugar in my foods or drinks... No junk food except maybe on the weekend il have some bread for lunch like a chicken sandwich... I don't drink any alcohol...

The one thing I have not been able to do yet because of dodgy knees is compound weights like dead lifts and squats...and can't do impact cardio like jumping or running...
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    My guess is that if your "cardio stuff" might have been a significantly higher calorie burn than your weight training and you are over-estimating your calorie burn from your new regime.

But with a private diary there's no real data to go on so don't know what advice anyone can offer apart from try eating less because you aren't in a calorie deficit.

• dougii
    dougii Posts: 678 Member
    Weight loss is found in the kitchen, health and well being in the gym. The estimated calorie burn for weight lifting is notoriously high. If you are eating back your exercise calories it is doubtful that you will lose weight IMO. I try to stay on calorie goal excluding exercise calories and at most eat back 25%. You might want to try mixing up your routine as well - try switching cardio and weights every other day; or 3 days weights, 2 days cardio. Best of luck.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,940 Member
    You say you've been logging food (and exercise?) for three weeks. I assume you are weighing those chicken breasts and those nuts, etc.?

If you haven't lost weight since September and you are doing the same amounts of exercise you've always done, then you're just simply eating too much. New exercise that you haven't done before can/will cause a couple pounds of water retention but that won't last, and isn't the main problem. Are you logging exercise calories? How are you estimating exercise calories? An over-estimation of exercise calories *could* be adding to your issue...depends.

Dial in those calories eaten and then drop a couple hundred if you haven't lost in the next month of diligent logging, using your food scale.
  • gazpainter
    gazpainter Posts: 22 Member
    I use a Samsung active watch to track the calories... They seem to match the gym equipment... Like the spin class equipment says 45 mins 14 miles of around 400 calories and my watch does the same... But I know its still a guess...

I think I will start not taking notice of the exercise calories burned... And just stick to the 1900 calorie a day limit... Its hard when trying to get protein up and sticking to 1900 lol

I have created a new routine based on the Jefit fat to fit 3 month programme and adding some bits in too so will try that for 3 months and see how it goes....

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,940 Member
    edited February 2020
    Oh, yeah, if you've been eating 1900 PLUS 400 exercise calories on exercise days that should be about right for a man of your height and weight to lose.

BUT only if you are using the accurate calorie amounts for the foods you are eating. There is an error somewhere if you haven't been losing weight since September! It's either poor logging (guessing on portions OR choosing database foods with errors in them) or overestimating exercise calories. It doesn't sound like you've been over-estimating exercise calories, so if you want to get the right amount of food figured out start logging accurately and use a food scale.

Here: this will help:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1