Anyone have Binge Eating Disorder Success stories (BED)

Anyone else in here have Binge Eating Disorder (BED) and have any strategies to avoid binges while calorie restricting and trying to meet weight loss goals/ideal body weight?

Would love to hear success stories.

Replies

• elizarose12
    elizarose12 Posts: 1 Member
    Sylphadora wrote: »
    I agree with Freda78 that I don't think it can ever be really "cured" but it can be managed. My problem with BED is that I'm not just fighting the urge to binge, I'm fighting food addiction as well and that made it a losing battle. In my case it's not emotional eating or circumstantial bingeing. It's a dependence. The moment I eat a morsel of a triggering food, I crave it like crazy. It really takes over my mind. It's like a brain parasite. I read Brain over Binge too and it didn't help at all. It wasn't as easy as ignoring an urge. "Observing" my urges was enduring mental torture. It really felt like that. I have always been an overeater and really posessive with food but some foods trigger me more than others.

I'm the exact same way. It makes me feel better that there are more people with this issue because once I have one of my trigger foods, I will spend the rest of the day figuring out how to get more... It really is like a parasite... I've also read "Brain over Binge" and while the concept made sense, it didn't work for me in practice. The only thing that has kept the binge urges away is keto, but I've never been able to stik to it for more than a few months and then get so frustrated to see 10 lbs come back in less than a week. I'm currently 50lbs overweight, and I've been tracking on MFP for years, but I haven't been able to stop binging. I feel like I've tried it all: therapy, keto, Beachbody, Atkins, Whole30, several books including The Hunger Fix, Eat Fat Get Thin, The New Health rules + 20 more.

I'm going to keep trying though. :)
  • acercas
    acercas Posts: 4 Member
    I am recovering from bulimia and one thing that has helped me is the book "Brain over binge" (actually the accompanying workbook) - it's like 5 pounds on amazon. Recovery takes time, but you can do it!
  • SBfromCali
    SBfromCali Posts: 1 Member
    I was recently diagnosed with BED and I am taking Vyvance now. It's a life changer for me. It took a few weeks for the insurance company to approve it since I needed my mental health provider to sign off on it too.
  • sam33a
    sam33a Posts: 31 Member
    It's something I have struggled with for many years. Since I was a child. I know that it usually happens when I have been restricting for a long time. When the hunger sets in. I think the best thing would be to stop restricting for a while and maintain your weight, even if you're not at your goal weight. That's what I'm planning on doing for a couple of months myself - literally just decided. I've been restricting for a year now, still have another 10-15 lbs to lose but I am finding it more difficult now to eat so less and worry that I'll binge eat my way back to overweight/obese. I don't know if it's right for you, but no harm in trying, even if it's just for a couple of weeks, it could help.

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!