Any new RUNNERS?... or wise veterans :)

Very new to running and looking for motivation and tips! I’ve always dreamed of being a runner and tried and failed many times. Currently on Couchto5K (again) and enjoying the process, though very difficult.

For anyone just starting out, would love to chat about your experiences, challenges and victories, and of course, share mine.

And for any experienced runners - please bestow your power because I need help! 😜

Replies

• Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    #1 tip is always this...

Go slower than you think you should be going... then go slower.

This, oh so much this.

Speed comes with time. So many people give up because they think they have to run 5k in 30 minutes and feel disheartened when they can't. You can run non stop for 30 minutes, that's amazing! It doesn't matter the distance. Or you have to take walk breaks, you are still out there!

To be a runner you just have to go fast enough that you don't have both feet on the ground at the same time. That's it. That is a runner.

So go way way slower than you think you should be.

And buy shoes that fit your feet properly. Go get fitted. Your feet, ankles, knees and hips will thank you.
  • prophet74
    prophet74 Posts: 5 Member
    Great suggestions so far!

At one point I probably was an expert, but I'm just getting back on the wagon after a long time off. My contribution to the list is this rule: HAVE FUN! You can work hard sometimes, even feel like puking when you hit the finish line, if setting personal records and pushing yourself to the limit is your idea of fun. But it can also be fun just to run really slow with a group and have a conversation, or whatever.

Oh, and rule #0 should always be LISTEN TO YOUR BODY. If running hurts, take a day off! I spent too much time in the chiropractor's office and physical therapy because I tried to push through pain instead of figuring out what my body was trying to tell me.
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    Firstly, I don't think you have failed, running can come and go. Sometimes I read more books, sometimes fewer, doesn't mean I stop being a reader.

Find a race in your area, preferably a nice relaxed one where children and dogs are welcome, it's so much fun and having a goal helps.

See if you can rope in any friends, a pootle round the park via the local cafe or pub in the way home is a joy.

If you can try to get out into trails, just lovely.

I get bored, audio books will entertain and keep me going for hours.

Most of all enjoy yourself, it's ok to skip if it's miserable, things hurt or you just don't fancy it.
  • JustBia
    JustBia Posts: 18 Member
    Wow! Firstly, thank you, all! 🙏🏼💜

Secondly, these are all amazing tips. I hadn’t considered some of them. I think those who mentioned going slow and/or enjoying the process vs trying to reach a specific pace or time all at once really resonated. I can be especially hard on myself and this has been no different. Yes I feel some physical discomfort, which is to be expected, but mostly I have the hardest time with my breathing. I get incredibly winded which is why Couchto5K is so helpful - you can take “breathers” by walking. Any tips on controlling your breathing? And did some of you also experience that can’t-catch-your-breath feeling after only a few minutes? That’s me! 🥵🥵

All that said, I know I am going to love being a runner and I am committed! I am an introvert that doesn’t get too much alone time, and what I love most about running is that incredibly precious “me-time” that it offers.

Thank you all again. So glad I found this

Ps: currently looking to sign up for my first 5k race. Will keep you posted on that.
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    I think that slowing down as the others advised, and maintaining consistency with your plan will help a lot with the breathing. Once you get over that hurdle, the sky's the limit! :)
  • katarina005
    katarina005 Posts: 259 Member
    Im a veteran I suppose, and also trying to get back into the habit. Start small and let your body adjust, then you can build on that. I do the stairmaster and lift to help my leg muscles to be strong. I've found that the Interval routines on the treadmill help me with speed and stamina. And a lot of it is breathing, properly. Don't drink too much water, and eat light or nothing beforehand always
  • JustBia
    kdbulger wrote: »
    JustBia wrote: »
    Currently on Couchto5K (again) and enjoying the process, though very difficult.

Enjoying the process is half the battle, I think.
    I tried C25k probably 5 times before it finally stuck back in 2018. I'm still running in 2020.

This gives me hope! This is probably my 4th or 5th time as well. Sticking with it for sure!
  • JustBia
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    #1 tip is always this...

Go slower than you think you should be going... then go slower.

Thank you - great advice! Although I’m pretty slow as it is 😂
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    edited February 2020
    Some brilliant responses here. I'm not a veteran but any means, I started running about 5 years ago and am yet to run much further than 10K. But I would also add to the very wise words above, don't be afraid to repeat a week of C25K, if you feel you have to. Better to take it slower than risk injury. Also make sure you've got a good sports bra as well as good, well fitting shoes. I find out when I hit a particular cadence that really suits my legs, it does interesting things to the girls!
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    I'll be training for my third 5K this summer. There's a fitness club that co-sponsors it and offers a free "learn to run" workshop for the 8 weeks prior to the run. They follow what they call a "modified C25K protocol". You're expected to run with the group once a week and then do two sessions on your own before the next group run.

The best advice I can give if you fall in with a group like this is, "Do your homework".

I struggle with pacing. Weirdly enough, negative self-talk actually worked. I was 46 when I trained for my first run and if I saw someone ahead of me, I kept speeding up to try to pass them. This was on a 400-meter track in a nearby park. There were walkers, bikers, runners, joggers, roller-bladers, skateboarders, and frisbee-chasing pooches on that track. And I kept telling myself, "You do you. You are not going to win the race, so don't train like you have a chance. You're in your mid-forties. The competition? Kids on their high school and college track teams. People younger than you. People with longer legs than you. People who run marathons. You? You're just going so you can set a time to beat if you ever do this again. You're just trying to see if you can do this. Stop trying to pass everyone and just focus on finishing this run interval." I also lied to myself and told me it was a run, not a race—anything to curb my instinct to speed up.

Something worked. I came in 51st place, but led my age/gender bracket with a 28:17 finish time. And last year, my standings were lower (98th and 3rd in my age bracket) but my personal finish time was 27:07. Trying to see if I can beat it this year, but even if I don't, that's fine too.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Yes I feel some physical discomfort, which is to be expected, but mostly I have the hardest time with my breathing. I get incredibly winded which is why Couchto5K is so helpful - you can take “breathers” by walking. Any tips on controlling your breathing? And did some of you also experience that can’t-catch-your-breath feeling after only a few minutes? That’s me! 🥵🥵

Ps: currently looking to sign up for my first 5k race. Will keep you posted on that.

I wouldn't worry at all about taking walk breaks whenever you need them, since they are key to bringing your heart rate down and regaining control of your breath. Heck, a bunch of people in my training group still use a 4 min run/1 min walk protocol on many of our long EZ run days during marathon training. The 1 minute walk really helps you gather yourself and prepare for the next stretch.

And great idea in looking for a race to sign up for. Nothing like a race on the calendar to build enthusiasm and commitment! :)
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Wow! Firstly, thank you, all! 🙏🏼💜

Secondly, these are all amazing tips. I hadn’t considered some of them. I think those who mentioned going slow and/or enjoying the process vs trying to reach a specific pace or time all at once really resonated. I can be especially hard on myself and this has been no different. Yes I feel some physical discomfort, which is to be expected, but mostly I have the hardest time with my breathing. I get incredibly winded which is why Couchto5K is so helpful - you can take “breathers” by walking. Any tips on controlling your breathing? And did some of you also experience that can’t-catch-your-breath feeling after only a few minutes? That’s me! 🥵🥵

All that said, I know I am going to love being a runner and I am committed! I am an introvert that doesn’t get too much alone time, and what I love most about running is that incredibly precious “me-time” that it offers.

Thank you all again. So glad I found this

This is why people tell you to go slower. You are going too fast. You know you have a good pace if you can still hold a conversation while running.

There is a great running group in the "challenges" section of the forum, check it out. Just jump straight in. We have everyone from barely limping along through to training for ultra marathons
  • JustBia
    Avidkeo wrote: »

There is a great running group in the "challenges" section of the forum, check it out. Just jump straight in. We have everyone from barely limping along through to training for ultra marathons

Thank you for the guidance - agreed. Also, I definitely will check it out!
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Breathing whilst running is learned and can take a while to get. But you will get there. In the meantime, as everyone else says, go slower. If you can't hold a steady conversation whilst running, you're going too fast.

And I second checking out the monthly running challenge in the challenges forum, everyone is awesome and helpful. There's definitely a couple of folk in there doing C25K, and we were cheering on a member who did their first marathon this last weekend. You can just jump in at anytime.
  • midgetgrl72280
    midgetgrl72280 Posts: 27 Member
    I'm re-doing C25K again and am on Wk 7. I've probably done it several times and life gets in the way. No advice just support! This time around I've been doing this on Treadmill instead of outdoors while listening to podcasts.