60 yrs and up

Replies

• RCPV
    RCPV Posts: 342 Member
    Good morning, all! It's going to be a busy one with doctor's appointments for my husband, so I hope I can squeeze in some time for a walk.

@lynnchristy, yes I've been having problems logging food. It either spins and spins or it says it logged, but nothing shows. At one point I logged my entire lunch (5 items) and hit enter on the last one and it wiped out the whole thing! Frustrating. As for calories that aren't carb-related, can you just increase portions of whatever you already eat for proteins and fats? Perhaps a cream-based sauce over whatever meat protein you like?

@j29t, that smoothie sounds wonderful; you're making me drool. :p

Gotta get going - have a great day everyone!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,904 Member
    :) Every time someone mentions questions about how to adjust their eating, I go immediately to their profile to look at their food diary. I am usually disappointed. It's hard to make suggestions about how to make changes if I can't see what there already.

:) I guess I'm the lucky one because I rarely have trouble with this site either from my phone or my computer. When I have trouble, I just try again.

:) I live a fairly routine life which means that I do the same things all the time and eat a lot of the same things often. My breakfast is exactly the same every day and it makes the morning go smoothly to not have to decide what to eat or worry about whether I have the ingredients.

:) I like to check in every day to be in the company of like minded people who are on a healthy journey.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • PamelaFitGirl
    PamelaFitGirl Posts: 6 Member
    Hi! I'm looking for positive friends who are supportive.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Back at it today! Did some rollouts during a Sunday workout. That woke up the muscles at the bottom of my ribcage. HAHA! Need to remember to do rollouts regularly.

Have a great week, y'all!
  • bethe
    bethe Posts: 79 Member
    Same here with MFP problems. It drops or double adds to the food diary, and everything is running really slowly. They must be trying to upgrade it, and it's having hiccups. I've got MFP synched to my fitbit, and it's doing bizarre things re: exercise calories. I'll burn 240 in exercise on fitbit, and it's half that on MFP. And then the calorie burned values change as the day progresses. I *think* MFP is just adjusting those automatically as the day goes on depending upon how much I'm moving, but it's still kind of confusing. Oh well, at least MFP is under-estimating those numbers rather than over-estimating.
  • bacpath
    bacpath Posts: 326 Member
    Hello everyone, I hope you’re having a good day. MFP is working fine up here in sunny Victoria, BC. Thanks AnnPT77 for the info. It’s just what I needed . Your posts are always so knowledgeable. I am doing well with diet and weight loss these last few days. Macros are improving, but still need some work
    I do have a dilemma and need some help- I mentioned my metatarsalgia before, but now I can’t weight bear at all. No appointment TIL Monday. I need some suggestions for aerobic exercise without using feet- anyone have any routines? Than you, Merck beaucoup.🙂
  • barbiecat
    :) Ask Google or your search engine to find "seated aerobic exercise" You'll get lots of ideas.
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,245 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    For all these recent questions about hitting macros, this chart may be helpful:

ekqr215p569z.jpg

Macros don't directly affect weight loss (that's pretty much all about calories, especially in the short run). What they can do is affect how full we feel (so make it harder or easier to stick with our calorie goal), and affect our energy level (so if we feel fatigued we don't move around as much in daily life or exercise as energetically, thus burning fewer calories). The satiation and energy level then can cause secondary effects on weight loss (slow it down) sometimes rather subtle ones, and those are more likely to come home to roost in the somewhat longer term, not the first few weeks of diet "honeymoon".

As far as getting more calories to reach a healthy level (not undereat) despite not being hungry, what's usually suggested around here is foods that are calorie dense (not very filling), like nuts or nut butters, avocados, extra oil on salad/veggies (or butter), full fat dairy (for those who eat dairy) rather than lowfat/nonfat, fattier cuts of meat/fish, and that sort of thing.

Unless it triggers cravings/binges for a person, it's also fine to eat some treat food once all the nutritional boxes are checked (chocolate, ice cream, even beer or wine). If you can successfully moderate the food (so can stick to calorie goal), it won't ruin your weight loss . . . and most of us are going to want to figure out how to work in some treats eventually when we get to maintaining our new healthy weight, right? Most people don't want to give those things up forever, so starting to learn how to include them can be useful if that's true for you as an individual.

Personally, I've found nutritional improvement (and confidence) to be a huge side benefit of using MFP, and I think that may be extra helpful for us as 60-plus-ers. It's sadly common for people to get in a rut with eating in later years, and that can include undernutrition (not enough protein and not enough veggies/fruits are the things I see most often among my acquaintences who aren't pursuing weight loss, and too-low fat seems common here among folks who are trying to cut calories). IMO, undernutrition would be extra bad as we reach a phase of life where we may not be quite as resilient in our health, maybe having more consequences more quickly than we would've seen with the same nutritional slip-ups in our 20s. Things that would've been a blip then, can be a "risk my health" thing, these days, for me.

Even though good nutrition (macros and micros) are not the big factors in weight loss, they are a super good thing for best health, and that's certainly important to me at this point! :)

Happy Tuesday, everybody! I just got home from spin class, ate my yummy oatmeal with all the trimmings, and have a massage scheduled for this afternoon, so I think it's going to be a pretty good day, in my world. Hope it's likewise for you! :)

Thanks extremely useful!
  • bethe
    bethe Posts: 79 Member
    AnnPT77 - thanks for the info! That's great information.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    bethe wrote: »
    Same here with MFP problems. It drops or double adds to the food diary, and everything is running really slowly. They must be trying to upgrade it, and it's having hiccups. I've got MFP synched to my fitbit, and it's doing bizarre things re: exercise calories. I'll burn 240 in exercise on fitbit, and it's half that on MFP. And then the calorie burned values change as the day progresses. I *think* MFP is just adjusting those automatically as the day goes on depending upon how much I'm moving, but it's still kind of confusing. Oh well, at least MFP is under-estimating those numbers rather than over-estimating.

MFP is supposed to be reconciling your Fitbit calories (not just exercise: everything) with the calories it expects you to burn on account of what activity level you put in your MFP profile. Even the MFP sedentary/not very active setting assumes you do up to 3500-5000 steps-equivalent or so.

I don't synch my Garmin (long story, irrelevant here), but I think the middle of the day Fitbit/MFP reconciliations may assume you'll be as active for the rest of the day as you were so far (which may not be true, but it's got to assume something). By midnight, it should even up on calorie assumptions (total calories, not just exercise).

Because I don't sync, that's just my cartoon understanding. There's a very nice Fitbit group here that could give you the real, full story. I'll try to remember to give you a link to it later, when I'm using a device that makes it easier to paste in links.
  • AnnPT77
    Back at it today! Did some rollouts during a Sunday workout. That woke up the muscles at the bottom of my ribcage. HAHA! Need to remember to do rollouts regularly.

Have a great week, y'all!

Oh, man: You're a great example! I need to be doing more core work, and those are an excellent one.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    bethe wrote: »

MFP is supposed to be reconciling your Fitbit calories (not just exercise: everything) with the calories it expects you to burn on account of what activity level you put in your MFP profile. Even the MFP sedentary/not very active setting assumes you do up to 3500-5000 steps-equivalent or so.

I don't synch my Garmin (long story, irrelevant here), but I think the middle of the day Fitbit/MFP reconciliations may assume you'll be as active for the rest of the day as you were so far (which may not be true, but it's got to assume something). By midnight, it should even up on calorie assumptions (total calories, not just exercise).

Because I don't sync, that's just my cartoon understanding. There's a very nice Fitbit group here that could give you the real, full story. I'll try to remember to give you a link to it later, when I'm using a device that makes it easier to paste in links.

The Fitbit group is here: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users

They can be a big help with all Fitbit questions, from simple to ultra-technical. And unlike me, they actually know what they're talking about. :lol: 🤣
  • getthebabeback
    getthebabeback Posts: 45 Member
    Hello everyone! Wow, in the three weeks that I have been away involved in caring for my elderly mother this site has really taken off. It makes me so happy to see how much it has grown in a month.
    My apologies to those who have specifically friended me and given their support when all I could do was quickly list what I had eaten and not even sort it into specific meals. Sorry I have not had the time to offer encouragement in return.
    Of course my own wellbeing went out the window during that time along with the kilo I had lost. :(
    However, since I have been back home, I have knuckled down and back to following the CSIRO meal plan. I love it as it gives me the week's menus, a shopping list and an indulgence a day if I wish to use it. It keeps feeling very satisfied until the next meal. So, at weigh in today, I parted company with a kilo and a couple of centimetres from my waistline. (The most important measurement to reduce).
    I have been back to my usual research about weight reduction and all the things that are linked to it.
    So today, I am posting something about gut health. I hope it is useful to someone.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/gut-bacteria-and-weight#section6

tqvrkqvns4m1.png

• barbiecat
    :)getthebabeback, caring for an aging parent is very stressful. Glad you are back and with us again. Someone told me that the best eating plan is the one you'll stay on and it sounds like you've found one that you'll stay on. Thanks for sharing the research that you do.

<3 Barbie from NW WA
  • lindagalbreath577
    lindagalbreath577 Posts: 75 Member
    Good morning everyone! Haven’t checked in for awhile. I am doing good still going to curves and walking. Down 2 more lbs. yeah!! Have been doing more walking in the afternoon. And staying busy so haven’t been snacking as much. N2gardens56 I tend to binge in the evening too. It’s hard to not think about food when watching tv all the food commercials it all looks good. I try to keep my hands busy with quilting or knitting word search . Then I don’t think about ooooo what can I eat. Plus I take my teeth out after supper that helps too! Haaaaaa! Well everyone have a good day! We can do this one day at a time. If that’s too much then 1 hour at a time.
  • lynnchristy
    lynnchristy Posts: 75 Member
    Hello 60 and uppers :) I am so frustrated with the site today. I can't tell you how many times I have seen this page Site Temporarily Down For Maintenance I only know it happens every time I change pages. It took me nearly two hours to do my food diary :'( Have a blessed day everyone and shout out to my friends <3 I'm outta here for a while.
  • barbiecat
    :)Linda, my two solutions for snacking while watching TV are planning an evening snack and watching TV only while riding my exercise bike or doing my physical therapy exercises. I am fortunate to have a DVR system so I can fast forward through the larger than life food commercials.

:) It was frosty this morning but the dogs and I had a fabulous walk. Evidence of bulbs coming up is everywhere. This time last year we were under over a foot of snow so I have to remind myself that this is only "fake spring".

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • AnnPT77
    FWIW, this is an article that I found really helpful in understanding and putting in perspective all of those ups and downs on the scale, when I knew I was doing the right things in terms of my calorie goal:

https://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations