Dietary advice for an exercise novice wanted

Bit of boring background:

I'm currently trying to lose fat. I'm 30 years old, female, 17 stone exactly and 5"2.

I'm eating 1450 calories a day and on average losing 2lb per week (I've lost 14lb in just under 7 weeks).

I've got PCOS, non-vegan, non-vegetarian.

I currently do no "exercise" but I've joined a gym and plan to do 3 weightlifting-type workouts per week in order to tone up.

I am a complete beginner when it comes to gaining muscle and don't know what, if anything, I need to change diet-wise in order to continue to lose fat but also tone up a little bit at the same time.

Do I have to eat pre-workout, post-workout (if so what), increase my protein, eat back my calories?? Or do I simply carry on as I am doing and don't worry about it?

I'm not strict with my macros but I'm usually at 40% carbs, 30% fat & 30% protein.

Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Are you planning on doing a progressive free weights program or circuit training? There's a difference in burn rate there, though generally speaking, I'd say just up your calories by 50cal/day/week as you start and gradually ramp up your eating calories as your workout calories ramp up with gained confidence and intensity. I tend to just check my losses every couple weeks and nudge my calories in the right direction to keep pace at whatever deficit I was targeting.

I don't generally use % for my macros, because as my calories go up, my percentage protein goes down and my carbs go up. You should shoot for .8-1g of protein per pound of goal weight and you should be good to go.

Depending on how much weight you have left to lose, you may want to dial your deficit back somewhat and lose at a slightly more conservative rate, especially if you notice that you're not recovering from workouts as fast as you should be.
  • zoer302
    zoer302 Posts: 23 Member
    Are you planning on doing a progressive free weights program or circuit training?

I believe, through my very basic research, I'll be focusing on "Muscular Isolation Training" :/
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Just stick to what mfp gives you. Don't overcomplicate it.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    OK well, If you're using dumbbells and barbells and have rests between sets you should time your workout and pick an accurate weight lifting entry under *cardio* to get an appropriate calorie adjustment for your workout. If you're using machines and no rest periods, you should again time your workout and pick "circuit training" under *cardio* to get an appropriate calorie adjustment. (The numbers will be different based on the style of training you're doing.) The "strength training" section is just for you to log your workout, sets, reps and notes, and won't actually make any calorie adjustment.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    It doesn't matter when you eat since your goal isn't a bodybuilding competetion where you need to do everything exactly the most ideal way. For normal people, just do the normal stuff regularly, be consistent about it, and it will work. Eat your calories back. Eat more protein than you needed before you started on this part of your journey. Carbs help as well, I don't know how PCOS affects your ability to eat them. You said you wanted to tone up a bit, and I'm assuming you mean you want to build some muscle. The reason for the carbs are building muscle tissue is work the body wants to use carbs to fuel, and also because when you build muscle you fill it with glycogen. I hope I'm not boring you with this.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Your mileage may vary, so experiment. For me I need a light snack with protein and carbs before working out. A whole meal and I'll feel sick; no food and I'm dizzy. Then I get home and eat a regular meal after the workout.