Can you "deep fry" in...water?

2»

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    noelkro80 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    The 1 calorie spray is what I always use for frying anything. It’s fantastic

Once I started weighing the pan after I used my so-called zero calorie spray I realized it was actually minimally 18 calories. I've gone back to regular oil, which is way way cheaper, and doesn't have that funny smell.

Ok that’s good to know. I didn’t realise my simple comment would get so much hate! Lol. 8 people clicked “disagree” wow

When did "disagree" become hate? I can disagree that the spray is 1 calorie (I didn't BTW) and it doesn't mean there is any hate.

Also 8 people disagreeing with you doesn't seem like "hate" to me. I'm also curious how you would fry onion rings with your method. That's what the OP was talking about.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,129 Member

Once I started weighing the pan after I used my so-called zero calorie spray I realized it was actually minimally 18 calories. I've gone back to regular oil, which is way way cheaper, and doesn't have that funny smell.

Ok that’s good to know. I didn’t realise my simple comment would get so much hate! Lol. 8 people clicked “disagree” wow

When did "disagree" become hate? I can disagree that the spray is 1 calorie (I didn't BTW) and it doesn't mean there is any hate.

Also 8 people disagreeing with you doesn't seem like "hate" to me. I'm also curious how you would fry onion rings with your method. That's what the OP was talking about.

Presumably shallow frying instead using spray oil. I do this with a lot of stuff. Wouldn't work great with batter but does work with breaded items.

• misclaire81
    misclaire81 Posts: 33 Member
    We have an air fryer, which is a great alternative
  • Buttermello
    Buttermello Posts: 127 Member
    Kiyomoo wrote: »
    If you deep fry something in water, you are boiling it.

You know, for as hard as I was pondering this, the word "boiling" never once crossed my mind...What a big "duh" moment. How embarrassing. Thank you for your post!

This show taught me everything I know about cooking!
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    just_Tomek wrote: »

I disagreed because you cannot fry anything in a spray of oil.

I fry eggs & bacon in spray oil though in my frying pan

You don’t need any spray. I cook my bacon, crisp, first. Drain on paper towel lined plate. Pour the bacon grease into a jar I use for saving bacon grease. A light film of bacon grease remains in the pan, then fry my eggs. I use a none stick pan.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited February 2020
    Since is seems a non-serious thread, here's some actual science:

First, the problem with deep frying in water is that the water will only reach 100 C more or less and then it turns to steam. Cooking breaded french fries at 100 C isn't going anywhere. A pressure vessel solves this problem. You can absolutely deep fry breaded onion rings (and probably anything else) in water if you just have the right pressure vessel. Sadly you don't and won't. A good guess is that reasonable temperatures can be reached at around 500 PSI which will only require a pressure vessel from a food science laboratory as might be found in the basic research labs at Nestle or General Mills.
  • Siberian2590
    Siberian2590 Posts: 57 Member
    Ditto on the air fryer. Amazing how good chicken is made in it, and how much oil comes out and goes into the trash. Makes great roasted cauliflower, french fries, sweet potato fries, onion rings, and a great pizza re-heater as well.
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Don't listen to the haters OP. The opposite of oil is water. Now, a lot of people are saying shallow is the opposite of deep, but see how shallow frying is just using less oil or air? The opposite of deep is actually "high" - oceans are deep, and skies are high.
    So look up getting high and fried. You'll see there are all kinds of people who are doing that and having plenty of food. Apparently it works great for Doritos and other chips.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    I was a total moron with cooking for a very, very long time. It took me years to become a good cook and a bit of reading up on cooking terms, methods, etc.

The one thing I did that really helped is to simplify my cooking a lot by focusing on things like how to cook certain cuts and types of meat. For example: How to grill chicken breast or steak. Choosing a cut of meat that tastes good and is simple to cook. I also spent some time mastering some soups. Soup generally has a good calorie profile and you can pack a lot of nutrition into it.

I rarely fry (deep or otherwise) anything, unless it's a special meal because it's a pain to calculate the calories from the oil. Some people do enjoy air frying. I don't have an air fryer and it's not that interesting to me, but if you like that crispy, breaded feel in your foods, that may be an option.

YouTube is a really helpful resource because there is literally a video for how to do everything.

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    It’s all about temperature. Most deep frying happens at 350-375 degrees. Butter smokes at 350. Water turns to steam at 212.
  • missysippy930

YouTube is a really helpful resource because there is literally a video for how to do everything.

....and recipes, and step by step instructions.
  • Kiyomoo
    Kiyomoo Posts: 354 Member
    Everyone in this thread is really making me want an air fryer now!

@pinuplove Thank you for those suggestions!

First, the problem with deep frying in water is that the water will only reach 100 C more or less and then it turns to steam. Cooking breaded french fries at 100 C isn't going anywhere. A pressure vessel solves this problem. You can absolutely deep fry breaded onion rings (and probably anything else) in water if you just have the right pressure vessel. Sadly you don't and won't. A good guess is that reasonable temperatures can be reached at around 500 PSI which will only require a pressure vessel from a food science laboratory as might be found in the basic research labs at Nestle or General Mills.

Thank you, this is all very neat to learn!
  • Kiyomoo
    Kiyomoo Posts: 354 Member
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    Kiyomoo wrote: »
    Everyone in this thread is really making me want an air fryer now!

@pinuplove Thank you for those suggestions!

Thank you, this is all very neat to learn!

Really???

really really
  • missysippy930
    There needs to be a LOL button