Holiday weight spike!

123457»

Replies

• drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 978 Member
    edited February 2020
    I actually reached an all-time low shortly after Christmas (140 pounds on 1 January 2020). My mum eats a low sodium diet, so I suspect my water weight fell to its lowest value after a prolonged stay with the folks.

I was alarmed that I was getting too skinny, so I decided to slowly bulk (a surplus of around 1,400 calories a week). Since then, my weight trended up, hitting a high of 145 pounds on 8 February; and a similar Libra trend result. So the bulk was moderately successful.

I then got scared I'm getting fat, so I decided to cut again. I've recently consistently been around 142 pounds, with a slightly higher Libra 7 day trend. So I may do another mini-bulk soon, but I'll leave it another week or so before re-jigging things. I'm on holiday soon, which may cause surpluses anyway.

I haven't been in maintenance that long. I suspect this is what it will look like for me - spikes in either direction, and periods of eating slightly more or less than maintenance as I try to adjust where I am in my range.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    @drmwc : You sound just like me when I first got to my ultimate goal weight. First, I wondered what the best weight for me was. (I've decided that there is a broad acceptable range.) Then, I fretted every time I got a spike of even a couple of pounds. (It was usually the result of beer and a salty meal, going away with just a few days of restraint.)

I think a good weight range is about 5 lbs. When I'm at +5, I aspire to go into deficit (logging meals) until at or slightly below my target.

Right now, I'm at +0.8lbs!
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    I've been sick for about 10 days. That's pretty normal for a cold, but it sucks every single time! I'm still waking up with a sinus headache and a little bit of chest congestion. Didn't seem to hurt my weight loss too much. But, I surrender!

yield.gif
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member
    I've been sick for about 10 days. That's pretty normal for a cold, but it sucks every single time! I'm still waking up with a sinus headache and a little bit of chest congestion. Didn't seem to hurt my weight loss too much. But, I surrender!

yield.gif

Just something to consider: If you're still congested, you probably still have a small related scale drop waiting to happen, as that clears up. The gunk has weight, and there's usually other inflammation besides.

Hang in there, and I hope you feel better soon! :)
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    @AnnPT77 : I appreciate that. And it will pass. There seem to be a lot of nasty bugs around right now, not to mention covid19!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,527 Member
    edited February 2020
    nxd10 wrote: »
    I'm just sticking to my calorie goals
    Makes total sense! You're ignoring the water weight since it is not actually fat weight and it is not something that can be controlled by your energy balance.

Perhaps eating modifications in regards to sodium or some such, but I would be more concerned as to WHY I acquired sudden water weight! Something to bring up with GP?
    doubling down, but I am frustrated. Yes I am.
    :worried:

• ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited February 2020
    I am feeling very frustrated. I easily lost my Christmas weight. Then mid-February got a huge (7 pound) jump in what was clearly water weight. My rings don't fit and I can see it on my ankles. But the gain is real - my pants are tight. But my FACE and upper body looks better.

I'm just sticking to my calorie goals and doubling down, but I am frustrated. Yes I am.

I recently went through the same pattern. It was very frustrating, but I stuck with it through the mysterious gain and a week later it whooshed away. In my case I think it was hormonal fluctuation coupled with a new exercise routine. In any case, I was glad I was patient. I think we'll rarely regret sticking to our calorie goals.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    @nxd10 : 7lbs is pretty impressive! Is it already gone? Let us know what happened!

(The biggest 24hr bump I've had is 5lbs. What caused it in my case was an all-day hiking trip. The next day I was swollen as hell (and sore as hell). It took about two more days to resolve, leaving me merely sore as hell!)
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    @MikePfirrman : My illness dropped me a few pounds as well, but they came right back. You and I are in the same boat of being just above the goal weight. I've kept the pressure on, but those last 2 lbs are still eluding me! Best of luck to you!
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Ooh, I just reached my goal. I want to stay in deficit for another two weeks before going back on maintenance. The payoff was a great run yesterday where I felt truly light on my feet!

How's everyone else doing?
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 978 Member
    edited March 2020
    I lost a few pounds whilst on holiday. I am now 139 pounds (7 day trend value), and my slightly arbitrary target range is 140-145.

So I'm bulking. This seems to mean I need to eat close to 3,000 calories a day, which I find quite hard to achieve. (I could move around less and get a lower total, but I like moving around.)
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    @drmwc : Well, you are what you eat!

I haven't intentionally bulked since I was in my 20s in the 80s. The fad back then was low-fat, high protein. For some reason, I decided (along with my weightlifting friends) that canned tuna in water was the solution, so we would buy cases of it on sale. (Costco didn't exist yet.) The standard lunch or dinner was a can of tuna, a cup of white rice (shudder), and a vegetable. I also recall eating many a tuna sub.

Well, it worked. My peak weight was about 215lbs and I was freekin' strong!
  • karlondaniel
    karlondaniel Posts: 2 Member
    I am late but I remember myself being scared to check my weight hahahaha
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    @karlondaniel : I have often gotten lazy or avoidant and stopped tracking (food and weight) for some time (weeks to months). Yep, my weight goes up. The sooner you get back to it, the easier it is to correct, of course.

Best of luck to you!
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,777 Member
    Well Jimmy now that you are back to maintaining we will have to start a new thread eh? I am think sort of like the Freshmen 15 in college now we can have the Covid 19 5 or 10 or ???? I am glad that I am a runner and horseback rider as I can still do that but working from home really cuts back on total active time. Even trying to get up every hour or so or doing something at lunch doesn't seem to add it back. I do see a lot more "gym" folks in the neighborhood walking or jogging now. And do not ask me how I know... LOL.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,114 Member
    I am think sort of like the Freshmen 15 in college now we can have the Covid 19 5 or 10 or ???? ... LOL.

I have read some people referring to it as "The COVID 19." Damn I hope it ain't twenty. It actually was maybe five or six, and it's coming back off somehow. Avoiding stress eating may be key. And lots of walking. I wonder what's for lunch.....

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    I can't tell if I'm going to be gaining or losing weight in this period. I am fortunate to have plenty of remote work. But, I get far fewer steps at home than at work-- all the meetings are in the same place! I've been trying to log and exercise every day. But, there are always cookies in the cupboard!