What is the most disturbing thing that society accepts as a normal behaviour?

Replies

• nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Parents avoiding any conversation about puberty, menstruation, bodily changes, sex, etc, with their children until years too late.

I know this still happens, and that's what I'm referring to.

But I hope it happens less than in my day (Gen X). Seriously had to explain all this stuff to 80% of my female friends when we were in middle school, and let my mom fill in the gaps because all of their moms were horrified to even mention childbirth or using pads. Ridiculous.

This happened to me. I had my period at 15.5 and my mom still hadn’t had a talk with me about it. What’s worse is that she pulled me out of the health class that goes over these topics in 5th grade and 7th grade. It was so embarrassing.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    Parents avoiding any conversation about puberty, menstruation, bodily changes, sex, etc, with their children until years too late.

But I hope it happens less than in my day (Gen X). Seriously had to explain all this stuff to 80% of my female friends when we were in middle school, and let my mom fill in the gaps because all of their moms were horrified to even mention childbirth or using pads. Ridiculous.

This happened to me. I had my period at 15.5 and my mom still hadn’t had a talk with me about it. What’s worse is that she pulled me out of the health class that goes over these topics in 5th grade and 7th grade. It was so embarrassing.

I hate this for you. So common, even now. I don't think we had in-depth health classes over these topics until 8th grade, when a lot of people (disturbingly) were sexually active and a couple of girls WERE PREGNANT already...
  • TwitchyMacGee
    TwitchyMacGee Posts: 3,120 Member
    gothchiq wrote: »
    Another from the Gen X files: Raising up females to believe they can't do repairs of any sort and not teaching them the several tricks to open jars that are stuck. I still see it. Women at the gas station who don't know how to put air in their tires or change their air filter. Imma show you. It takes 5 minutes.

I theoretically know how to change a tire, oil, put air in the tires but I’ve never actually had to do it. I’m torn between thinking it’s learned helplessness or that delegating is an equally important skill.

Changing the tire can be difficult if the person who put the tire on used air tools to tighten the lug nuts. Get a can of Liquid Wrench and a cheat bar to improve your chances and keep them in your trunk with your other tools. Blast stubborn lug nuts with liquid wrench, give it a few minutes, insert cheat bar into one of the ends of the lug wrench for leverage, and stomp the cheat bar. If this fails, call AAA. Also keep a crowbar on hand. It's good for leverage and it's good as a creep deterrent.

The air: super easy. unscrew the valve stem caps, put your pressure gauge on there and see current pressure/how much air you need. Put the coins/credit card in the air machine and pump until it hits that pressure. Modern machines can be digitally set to the pressure you choose. Inside the driver's side door of your car it probably states the ideal air pressure or you can find it on the side wall of the tires. Machines are set to default at 32 psi. put back valve stem caps before driving away.

Changing oil: I still have a hangup about this. I have an irrational fear that the car is going to fall and crush me. Trying to get past that.
    Yeah see, i know all that. I’ve just never had to do it
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    Another from the Gen X files: Raising up females to believe they can't do repairs of any sort and not teaching them the several tricks to open jars that are stuck. I still see it. Women at the gas station who don't know how to put air in their tires or change their air filter. Imma show you. It takes 5 minutes.

I theoretically know how to change a tire, oil, put air in the tires but I’ve never actually had to do it. I’m torn between thinking it’s learned helplessness or that delegating is an equally important skill.

Changing the tire can be difficult if the person who put the tire on used air tools to tighten the lug nuts. Get a can of Liquid Wrench and a cheat bar to improve your chances and keep them in your trunk with your other tools. Blast stubborn lug nuts with liquid wrench, give it a few minutes, insert cheat bar into one of the ends of the lug wrench for leverage, and stomp the cheat bar. If this fails, call AAA. Also keep a crowbar on hand. It's good for leverage and it's good as a creep deterrent.

The air: super easy. unscrew the valve stem caps, put your pressure gauge on there and see current pressure/how much air you need. Put the coins/credit card in the air machine and pump until it hits that pressure. Modern machines can be digitally set to the pressure you choose. Inside the driver's side door of your car it probably states the ideal air pressure or you can find it on the side wall of the tires. Machines are set to default at 32 psi. put back valve stem caps before driving away.

Changing oil: I still have a hangup about this. I have an irrational fear that the car is going to fall and crush me. Trying to get past that.

I have a credit card.

A credit card you say? Let's go empty that sucker 😃
  • eryn0x
    eryn0x Posts: 138 Member
    edited February 2020

Feel like we're getting off topic here.. but it was always hard to switch the tires on my old car (summer and winter for those wondering). I would loosen up the lug nuts a bit, then drive for a bit (residential) while wiggly the wheel all crazy. That loosens'em up.
  • mi_nina_lola
    mi_nina_lola Posts: 767 Member
    People going to the shops in there PJ's it is so wrong recently even in a housecoat and slippers

I feel like this could be a weakness for me, maybe idk...

just wear your cowboy hat with the robe....
  • mi_nina_lola
    People that smoke inside with kids there. Absolutely no cares about it whatsoever. It’s bad enough to do it inside anyway but doing it around kids is just extremely selfish imo.

When my grandmother who smoked for many years, passed away from cancer years back...

I went up to speak at her funeral and joked about how all her grandkids now have asthma...

😂... We're that kind of family

and those who knew your family obviously were cool with the joke. my own grandfather smoked like a chimney and my grandmother died from emphysema. well...nobody made the connection way back then.
  • MelG7777
    MelG7777 Posts: 14,006 Member
    ayeeeeeeok wrote: »
    People who judge others on their appearance. So what if someone has had plastic surgery? So what if someone has those ear stretcher things, a beard or hair extensions/wigs? Big deal!!!

Let people do what they want with their faces and bodies, you have your own so whether you think something looks ugly or not, it’s not on you so why does it bother you so much? Take a look in the mirror and ask yourself that question. Are you perfect? No. Nobody is perfect but we shouldn’t destroy someone else just because we don’t like how they look. Keep your opinions to yourself.

You don’t know how much someone is suffering due to a mental illness or low self esteem so they change themselves in different ways to make themselves feel better and there are people out there who make them feel like utter crap and basically bully them. It’s sick.

❤️❤️
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    People going to the shops in there PJ's it is so wrong recently even in a housecoat and slippers

I'm going to make it my my pp 😂...
    People that smoke inside with kids there. Absolutely no cares about it whatsoever. It’s bad enough to do it inside anyway but doing it around kids is just extremely selfish imo.

When my grandmother who smoked for many years, passed away from cancer years back...

I went up to speak at her funeral and joked about how all her grandkids now have asthma...

and those who knew your family obviously were cool with the joke. my own grandfather smoked like a chimney and my grandmother died from emphysema. well...nobody made the connection way back then.

Oh man wow, I'm sorry to hear that... That doesn't sound like anything anyone would joke with him about...

For us it was all good humor tho, sometimes the best thing you can do is make fun of the circumstance...
  • MelG7777
    MelG7777 Posts: 14,006 Member
    Joeyd727 wrote: »
    Movements! The Twitter gangs of over sensitive brats who will attack anyone who doesn't agree with them, Movements like the million mom's or whatever that are offended by n1pples, curse words and sex.

Also those who persecute someone, ruin their lives or careers based on someone else's tweet.

Is that what that is? I think there may be a few of the million moms here!🤣
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    edited February 2020
    nooshi713 wrote: »

I hate this for you. So common, even now. I don't think we had in-depth health classes over these topics until 8th grade, when a lot of people (disturbingly) were sexually active and a couple of girls WERE PREGNANT already...

That’s scary. I remember in middle school a few 12 year olds were sexually active then. My Mom just didn’t want me to know anything. She is extremely old fashioned.....
  • mi_nina_lola

I'm going to make it my my pp 😂...

Oh man wow, I'm sorry to hear that... That doesn't sound like anything anyone would joke with him about...

For us it was all good humor tho, sometimes the best thing you can do is make fun of the circumstance...

i understand the humor element for sure. my husband,kids , and i joke like this all the time :D
    this was the early 70's though - so there's that!