Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

is MFP more important than marriage?

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,931 Member
    lorrpb wrote: »
    That’s a horrible thing for a badge to say! It’s true that half of all marriages end in divorce. That means that half don’t and that half accounts for lots of years to balance out the divorces for the average! 42 here and going strong.

What is horrible? this? - Wow! Seven years. Your community relationships have outlasted most marriages.

Nah, thought it was mildly amusing, didnt strike me as horrible

although, as people have pointed out, not strictly accurate.

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    That’s a horrible thing for a badge to say! It’s true that half of all marriages end in divorce. That means that half don’t and that half accounts for lots of years to balance out the divorces for the average! 42 here and going strong.

It's also important to note that half of marriages end in divorce, and not that half the people who get married end up divorced. People who get married and divorced multiple times count multiple times. It's kind of hard to drive up the average in the other direction because you can't get married twice if you don't get divorced, lol.
  • paperpudding

It's also important to note that half of marriages end in divorce, and not that half the people who get married end up divorced. People who get married and divorced multiple times count multiple times. It's kind of hard to drive up the average in the other direction because you can't get married twice if you don't get divorced, lol.

well, yes, you can.

Widows/widowers can get married twice.

at any rate, I think we have established statistic is rather misleading already
  • paperpudding
    hesn92 wrote: »
    hesn92 wrote: »
    I've been on MFP since 2012 and with my husband since 2008 :) I plan on being his wife until one of us dies.

Now, seriously, what is there to disagree with?? :s

and 2 people disagreed with my OP - did they disagree I have been on MFP 7 years or that MFP sent me the message I said they did or that I have really been married 34 years ??????

• Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    well, not really a debate (I hope! :o )

Today is my wedding anniversary and coincidentally I recieved this message from MFP on receiving my 7 year MFP poster badge: Wow! Seven years. Your community relationships have outlasted most marriages.

Do most marriages really last less than 7 years these days?? (or was that exagerated hyperbole??)

Mine has so far lasted for 34 .

#humblebrag ;):Do:)

@paperpudding - happy anniversary!

6 years married here and about the same time off and on MFP!

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,581 Member
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    thank you Carlos - and enjoy parenthood. :)

(been there, done that x 3 ;) )

And thank you!!
    Been a long time coming for us so we're pretty stoked.

This is awesome!!!
  • They don't call it the 7 year for nothing.

My hubby and I are almost 14 years and counting...
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,769 Member
    My husband and I will be celebrating our 20th anniversary this summer. Apparently I joined MFP in 2012, but I thnk it took me a couple of years to actually use it.
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    End of marriage put me on the path of losing weight. At this point my losing and keep off weight has lasted just a bit longer than the marriage if I got by her moving out / filing and not the added 6 months the courts required.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    29 years of marriage, 8 years of MFP. Both life changing lol.
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    I would say yes it most definitely is.

Combined with your username, this sounds ominous.
  • wwwtheselion11
    wwwtheselion11 Posts: 422 Member
    I broke my marriage off. Do to my ex not caring about my health factor. Was 34 with high cholesterol, at the time i weighed in at 235. Broke it off ,started changing the way i eat, no more ordering food, or going out to fast food. Started working out every day until i saw improvement. Now im at 170. I suggest talking with your love one before making any decisions. Maybe they will get healthy with you. However my ex, told me she likes her men fat/big. I told her that's not me.
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    My first marriage ended at 7 years when my now ex-wife decided she wanted to sleep with a guy old enough to be her dad.

Re-married in 2007 and that one seems to have stuck.

Oddly, I met my first wife at church and my second on-line. One would think the circumstances and results would be the opposite of the reality.
  • Abs_magee89
    Abs_magee89 Posts: 127 Member
    Is this where we humble brag? I've been married for 12 years. I have an on and off again relationship with MFP but we are doing good this time around.
  • alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member
    edited April 2020
    This is an interesting thread. Would I rather count calories to maintain a healthy body or be married.....well, i am single and ready to mingle, although this is the assumption of having one or the other haha. Congrats on the anniversaries though!