Loose skin or fat

atoabw4idt1b.jpg

Hey guys, I am confused whether it is loose skin or body fat .I am doing HIIT workout to reduce this but it is not going away .Please help me!!

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,940 Member
    I'd say you have more pounds to lose there.

Set your Goals on here to, "Lose one pound per week," log food, log exercise and keep going to the gym. :)
  • pranavarora765
    pranavarora765 Posts: 8 Member
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Still some body fat there. How many calories are you eating? Working out is great, but it won't matter for fat loss if you're eating too much.

Hey ,Thanks for replying.I am eating around my maintenance calories i.e 2100 .I look skinny with my clothes on but still I have lot of fat .So I am afraid if I reduce calories it would reduce my existing muscles too .What do you think?
  • pranavarora765

Set your Goals on here to, "Lose one pound per week," log food, log exercise and keep going to the gym. :)

Hey,Thanks for replying .I weigh 126 lbs currently and my height is 162 cm .Dont you think I may get underweight after losing more ?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,940 Member

Hey,Thanks for replying .I weigh 126 lbs currently and my height is 162 cm .Dont you think I may get underweight after losing more ?

I don't believe that is true, looking at your picture.

Try a different scale.

If you are concerned about getting too thin, then do a progressive weight program in addition to your HIIT. You have several pounds of fat to lose.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,030 Member
    HIIT workouts are probably not your best bet, if what you want is more muscle and less fat.

You're already fairly light, but it looks like it would be OK to lose a little more. Maybe consider eating a little under maintenance (maybe 1800-1900, if you're holding steady weight at 2100), and doing a good progressive strength training program, like one from the thread below?

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Even if your HIIT involves weights or calisthenics, the speed aspect limits the strength/muscle gain effect. (It does burn some calories - usually not as many as the hype would suggest - and potentially have some limited cardiovascular benefits, depending on the actual exercise activity that comprises the HIIT.)
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    If you're in a healthy weight range, look into Body Recomposition. That will help you change the muscle to fat ratio and get closer to the look you're wanting.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member

Are you sure? That weight sounds quite low based on the photo.
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    When you have loose skin it is... loose. What's there looks like it has stuff inside.
    Do you do any strength training, or just HIIT?
    You may have a lack of lean mass.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Your belly skin looks reasonably taut in the picture. That is pretty much the opposite of loose skin.

Do you think the picture is representing your situation correctly?
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Loose skin is going to look more like this:
    xy74j1mabslu.png
  • pranavarora765
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    HIIT workouts are probably not your best bet, if what you want is more muscle and less fat.

You're already fairly light, but it looks like it would be OK to lose a little more. Maybe consider eating a little under maintenance (maybe 1800-1900, if you're holding steady weight at 2100), and doing a good progressive strength training program, like one from the thread below?

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Even if your HIIT involves weights or calisthenics, the speed aspect limits the strength/muscle gain effect. (It does burn some calories - usually not as many as the hype would suggest - and potentially have some limited cardiovascular benefits, depending on the actual exercise activity that comprises the HIIT.)

Hey , what about 2 days hiit and 3 days strength training ? Would this help?
  • pranavarora765

Are you sure? That weight sounds quite low based on the photo.

Yeah I measured again it is 126 lbs .I have most fat around my stomach ,other areas are fairly lean and toned .
  • pranavarora765
    When you have loose skin it is... loose. What's there looks like it has stuff inside.
    Do you do any strength training, or just HIIT?
    You may have a lack of lean mass.

Well i just started doing strength training with HIIT ,before I was only doing HIIT ...
  • pranavarora765
    serindipte wrote: »
    If you're in a healthy weight range, look into Body Recomposition. That will help you change the muscle to fat ratio and get closer to the look you're wanting.

Yes ,I have starting doing the same .I do HIIT two days and resistance training 3 days .I started building some amounts of muscle but belly fat is same as usual...
  • AnnPT77

I personally wouldn't do strength-oriented HIIT on the off days because it could impair recovery.: Recovery is important for progress.

What are your goals, that make you want to do so much HIIT? (I think it's over-hyped and over-rated, mostly.) What kind of HIIT are you doing (weight circuits, calisthenics, etc.)

HIIT fundamentally is an exercise pacing strategy (intervals at high intensity interspersed with easy-intensity or rest intervals). People do cycling HIIT, running HIIT, rowing HIIT, and more.

What are you doing, and what are you trying to accomplish, in terms of appearance, fitness, or health, by doing it? Or is it just that you find it fun?
  • pranavarora765

I personally wouldn't do strength-oriented HIIT on the off days because it could impair recovery.: Recovery is important for progress.

What are your goals, that make you want to do so much HIIT? (I think it's over-hyped and over-rated, mostly.) What kind of HIIT are you doing (weight circuits, calisthenics, etc.)

HIIT fundamentally is an exercise pacing strategy (intervals at high intensity interspersed with easy-intensity or rest intervals). People do cycling HIIT, running HIIT, rowing HIIT, and more.

What are you doing, and what are you trying to accomplish, in terms of appearance, fitness, or health, by doing it? Or is it just that you find it fun?

Hey,Well,I just want to look lean with some muscles not much though so that's why I started doing HIIT because the fat percentage is high...
    I do HIIT which includes burpees , jumping jacks,push ups ,high knees ,etc
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    serindipte wrote: »

Yes ,I have starting doing the same .I do HIIT two days and resistance training 3 days .I started building some amounts of muscle but belly fat is same as usual...

Are you measuring your food intake? There's a very common saying around here that you can't outrun your fork. You've mentioned your exercises multiple times, but I haven't seen the part where you speak about weighing/logging your food? (I may have missed it, didn't go back up again to look for it)
  • AnnPT77

Hey,Well,I just want to look lean with some muscles not much though so that's why I started doing HIIT because the fat percentage is high...
    I do HIIT which includes burpees , jumping jacks,push ups ,high knees ,etc

If you're young, healthy, reasonably fit/resilient, and you enjoy it, keep doing it, but pay attention to how you feel and whether your strength training is progressing as it should. (A proper strength program should give you some idea of how to progress, or you can ask in the bodybuilding forum after you've been at it for a few months whether your progress is reasonable.)

There's a chance that those kinds of exercises could limit beneficial recovery - i.e., the time between strength workouts when your muscle is actually being built in response to the training stimulus.

If you're purely motivated by the aesthetics of having more muscle mass, strength training with a good program is your key activity. If you want more well-rounded fitness, or to burn extra calories so you can eat more and get better nutrition to support your training, then your best bet would be some kind of enjoyable steady-state cardio on the other days, at pretty much the highest intensity you can sustain for the time you have available (after allowing for a short warm-up and cool-down) without getting exhausted or cumulatively fatigued.