Starting Strong Curves - A few logistics questions

fitoverfortymom
fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
I've been toying with Strong Curves for some time. I'm also a long distance runner (half marathon thru 50k) and mostly want to lift heavy so I can run longer for longer, if that makes sense. I tend to overtrain and then become injured, so trying to avoid that and recomp. I'm fine with slow progress.

I've generally run 4 days per week with one solid rest day and two days geared toward cross training or strength training. What I would like to do is run 3, lift 3, rest 1. However, in starting Bootyful Beginnings, I'm not sure how to modify to a three-days-a-week plan. What rotation of days A, B, C would make sense in that format? Week 1: ABC Week 2: ABC Week 3: ABC or something like Week 1: A B A Week 2: C A B Week 3: A C A Follow?

Second, I travel quite a bit for work so I am wondering if anyone has any tips for restaurant ordering (usually client dinners but also my share of airport eating). I'm pretty good with being able to hit a convenience or grocery store and grab a proten bar, Greek Yogurt, etc. and piece together a generally macro-friendly meal, but any other tips on keeping things on track with my diet while on the road would be great.

Replies

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    The Strong Curves workouts are designed to be done consecutively - A, then B, then C. Rinse and repeat.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Congrats and such wonderful goals.

If your goal is to perform in ultra marathon, it has been my experience as a coach/trainer that a very basic program such as Strong Curves is sub optimal compared to one that is tailored towards your goal(s). I will add I've only trained a handful of athletes that can mirror this situation with that particular program.

If your goal is to run longer distances more efficiently, I would hazard decreasing running and adding a day of lifting isn't the best option for most individuals.

Without knowing your training history and response for both running and lifting I can't give the best of advice as if I was your trainer and had more details.

I do suggest you make one small adjustment for a short period of time and see how you respond and go from there.
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    edited February 2020
    I believe that strength training, as typically referred to in this forum, isn't going to do anything for your running ability. Some strength training would likely help if you were a sprinter, but for distance running, other than doing some exercises to help with muscles that stabilize your knees to help avoid knee injuries, strength training isn't useful.

You may want to add some resistance training for aesthetics, to look less like a skinny rail, or just general health, but then you're going to have issues with recovery. Your body will be using resources to try and recover from all the running and all the strength training, and for most people that's just too much to ask of it. In the end your running performance will suffer, and you won't make much progress with weight lifting either. If your nutrition is dead on, you're young, you sleep the sleep of the dead, and you have awesome genetics you may be able to progress in both endeavors, but, like I said, most of us aren't that lucky.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    edited February 2020
    I think lifting is a good cross training activity for runners as well as cyclists...but if your goal is to be able to continue to run more miles and go longer, reducing running days to fit in 3x lifting days isn't going to be particularly beneficial.

When I was doing a lot of endurance cycling events and racing, I only lifted 1x per week as it was primarily a cross training component. More than that would have compromised recovery and performance on the bike...not to mention eating into available saddle time.

I lift more now...3x per week (though I occasionally ditch that third day for a ride, particularly as we're starting to get some spring like weather), but I'm not racing anymore and don't plan on doing any endurance events over 25 miles.

Take a look at this article...

https://www.runnersworld.com/training/a20865330/weight-training-for-runners/

I think all in all Strong Curves is a pretty good program, but it is designed primarily for aesthetics, not performance.