60 yrs and up

Replies

• getthebabeback
    getthebabeback Posts: 45 Member
    Thank you barbiecat, stressful yes and even when you are not there! But happily on track now and you are right it is an eating plan rather than a 'diet'. Glad you like the research, it is one of my in front of the TV activities. I essentially do it for myself but if I think it will be helpful to others, I share.
    Lynnchristy, yes, the maintenance of the site was a pest especially as I was trying to do it late at night. I finally gave up and added in this morning.
    Linda, my TV solution is to turn off the sound and do something else foe a few minutes. Mind you I can't still still anyway and can't even watch TV unless I have a pile of activities to do at the same time. If I feel tempted to eat I go and clean my teeth! :D
    I was reading this last night, more reasons to choose healthy! Sorry it comes with all the extras on the page.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-8016945/One-week-unhealthy-eating-damage-brain-normally-stops-eating-MORE.html?ITO=applenews

Have a great day everyone.

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,901 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    FWIW, this is an article that I found really helpful in understanding and putting in perspective all of those ups and downs on the scale, when I knew I was doing the right things in terms of my calorie goal:

https://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations

:) Thank you. This is a great article. I knew most of what was in the article but the presentation was so clear and easy to understand. After a long time of weighing twice a day every day, I learned a lot about fluctuations. Most frequently overnight weight gain comes from restaurant or processed foods or broccoli, or nuts. Now that I know that, I don't worry about it.

<3 Barbie from NW WA
  • bacpath
    bacpath Posts: 326 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    FWIW, this is an article that I found really helpful in understanding and putting in perspective all of those ups and downs on the scale, when I knew I was doing the right things in terms of my calorie goal:

https://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations

Thanks, Ann
  • barbiecat
    :) I am old enough to remember dial up internet and no internet, so when MFP or any other internet related activity is not available, I'm not stressed
  • bacpath
    bacpath Posts: 326 Member
    I started on MFP because of a health issue and because I just am so tired of these 30-50 pounds I have been fighting with all my life. I find the tracking so educational and interesting. I learn something new everyday. I am so grateful for the group and individual support. It makes me accountable. I also have a real life diet buddy and we check in frequently.
    Doing well with the diet and enjoying my upper body and core only aerobics!
    Best to everyone. Cheers
  • bethe
    bethe Posts: 79 Member
    Hi everyone - I hope you are having a great day!

I'm not losing my spare tire as quickly as I would like, but the info Ann posted made me face the fact that this is for the long haul, and to just go with it - it'll happen sooner or later. Fortunately, between MFP and a recently acquired grill/air fryer, I'm eating much better. The only thing I'm really missing is a coke each morning (egads, the sugar and carbs in those things!). And, I'm not missing beer at all. Today's mail brought a very good pair of walking shoes from Zappos, and they got put to a successful test earlier today. Much to the pup's unhappiness I had to cut that walk short because it was drizzling, so we'll get the other half done in a bit if the weather allows.

Back in the fall I adjusted my supplement routine which helped tremendously - and now with MFP, that has been balanced with proper eating and exercise. It's amazing how much better I consistently feel now, both physically and mentally.
  • barbiecat
    :) I have a lot of "friends" on MFP, but the best unaccountably for me is being part of a thread that I can check in with every day. I can see how you are doing and I can tell you what's happening with me.

:) My husband has a bread maker and likes making bread for me. I figured out how to slice and freeze it so I can dole it our sparingly to myself rather than eating the whole loaf in one sitting. Today's bread is rye. I am taking one slice to my walking friend when I see her tomorrow.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    ooh, I love rye bread @barbiecat
  • teresadannar
    teresadannar Posts: 199 Member
    Hello all, Happy Friday! Question, what link do you use to determine your maintenance calories? Let's say you want to go on a few day hiatus, do you use the maintenance calories based on your current weight or your goal weight? This is what I've been using: https://www.lifespanfitness.com/fitness/resources/calories-calculator
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member
    Hello all, Happy Friday! Question, what link do you use to determine your maintenance calories? Let's say you want to go on a few day hiatus, do you use the maintenance calories based on your current weight or your goal weight? This is what I've been using: https://www.lifespanfitness.com/fitness/resources/calories-calculator

Perhaps this thread (link below) in the maintenance part of the forum would be helpful: It discusses several methods people can use to find the right level when transitioning to maintenance, and most (not all) would work for a temporary maintenance break.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10638211/how-to-find-your-maintenance-calorie-level/p1

If you want to use a calculator that's been working for you so far (correctly predicts your weight loss), you would use your current-weight maintenance calories. If you're close to final goal, it might not be a big difference, but if you have a fair bit to lose yet, your goal-weight maintenance calories may be enough less than your current-weight maintenance calories that you'd keep losing on goal-weight maintenance calories.

(Some people even do their whole weight loss process just eating goal weight maintenance calories. I had a fantasy about doing that for a while, but got impatient. ;) It gets slow.).
  • teresadannar
    teresadannar Posts: 199 Member
    AnnPT77, you are a wealth of information! Thank you.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Have a good weekend, y'all. Working this weekend in order to get some river time next week. That will get me through. And of course - the obligatory walks with the dog. Come on, spring!