cravings

2»

Replies

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    I find I'm very satisfied with a little. One piece of chocolate. A quarter cup of ice cream. A cookie. Too much and I feel lousy. But I love the taste.

I have read that cravings pass in 30 seconds. So I do something else. If I still want it five minutes later I eat it.
  • Siberian2590
    Siberian2590 Posts: 57 Member
    Crunchy peanut butter. There is no substitute.
  • Try substitute of candy, for example; if you are craving candy try the brand called Smart Sweet, has about 3g of sugar. You can have your treat and wont take over your macros. If you are craving chocolate maybe try a chocolate protein shake. There are even low carb low sugar ice-cream that can be found in grocery stores. Good luck!
  • Sylphadora
    Sylphadora Posts: 75 Member
    The fewer treats I have, the less I crave treats. In fact, about a month ago I decided to have zero sugary treats. Forever. On bad days, where I would have had a treat as "comfort" I eat a little more, but nothing sugary. So far so good. We constantly have this "abstinence vs moderation" discussion here, but after trying moderation for years, I've given up on it. Abstinence feels much easier.
    You might as well be describing me here :D I also tried moderation for years without success. It always backfired on me. Every. Single. Time. I quit sugar multiple times only to be lured into a false sense of security: "I haven't had sugar in months now and I seem to be doing OK. I think I can get away with having a piece of cake once a week. Right?" Wrong! Then I would be a whole week counting down the minutes to that moment I could have my piece of cake and all other meals were worthless in comparison to the 5 minutes in heaven the cake provided. Then I started resenting my normal meals and thinking like a brat: "Why do I have to wait a whole week for my treat?" Then I'd start having treats twice a week. Then I'd start eating way more than just a piece of cake. It snowballed and soon I was bingeing daily. I am not a moderator. I'm an abstainer
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I can usually push them off for months, maybe a year, but I need to know I can have it at some point in the future. If there is no hope then I get pretty sad.

Interestingly I usually crave light, crunchy, sauteed vegetables and other low calorie foods when I'm trying to gain. When I'm losing I just want more of what I am eating (since I typically don't cut stuff out) and other times I crave foods I don't have access to. Meals I've had at restaurants, family cooking, food I've had on vacation, food not available in Canada etc.
  • I get really odd cravings. Cottage cheese and protein bars. Baked potatoes. Bananas. Almonds.

They do pass sometimes but I’ll usually have some of what I want.

I’m not a moderator when it comes to chocolate or salted stuff like salted peanuts. I can eat them till they come out of my ears. So I don’t have them in the house often.
  • wwwtheselion11
    wwwtheselion11 Posts: 422 Member
    So i no longer drink alcohol, or eat icecream, or any sweets. Do i crave them. O hell yeah, but i can say no. Well this Friday i didn't. I got me some candy pop pop corn. Just to try it,but i was really craving Ben and Jerry's icecream an cheese cake. That i said no to. I know if i was to start drinking alcohol again. I would put on weight fast. I enjoyed finishing 6 packs of IPA. I was overweight from over drinking alcohol. That was the first craving to go. Second was ordering pizza. I no longer eat pizza unless. Its my nieces birthday party. I had pizza. 3 icecream is my favorite, but it's good once an a blue moon. 4 no fried foods, but i did order chillie reanoes. If i spell that right. last month at a Mexican restaurant. I crave foods, but i dont eat them every day. When i was with my ex , yes we pretty much eating unhealthy foods every day, by ordering out.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    edited February 2020
    I give into my cravings if I give myself any wiggle room. Wine has been a wiggle room opener for me so I stopped drinking alcohol last month. Then I read on mfp about a book called Atomic habits and how if you change 1% of your life habits here and there the benefits will compound. Since alcohol was a “keystone habit”, a biggie for me, I picked that to change first (I fail at moderation after a week or month or year).

Once I was more with it after work I started changing little (atomic) habits such as: Clean litter boxes daily, put away dishes, add one day to my workout routine, etc. I still wanted something in my wine time so I dug out the tea and tea set I got in China last year (pu’er tea) and now brew a cup or two at night while watch TV. I’m not a big fan of tea so if you’d told me 2 months ago I’d be drinking it I’d have said you were crazy.

So, I’m starting to gain back better control of my life in the tiny ways. Now it’s easier for me to not give in to cravings. To just say “I don’t eat gluten, refined sugar, whatever” and keep going. Then that becomes a little, atomic habit. If I could eat the stuff in moderaton I would. I can eat 85% dark chocolate in moderation and don’t crave it, so bars of that are in my cabinet.
  • swim777
    swim777 Posts: 599 Member
    I’ve really decided sugar or chocolate just makes me crave more. I’ve tried to moderate it, but I can’t. My strategy THIS WEEK is to leave sugar alone as much as possible. Someone said earlier that it’s easier for them. I think it does get out of my system and I crave it less. I’m struggling with some schedule changes and I’m trying to really tighten up on what I keep in the house that tempts me as well as falling back on how I lost before. Whew! Say a prayer for me! It is definitely tougher than last time.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,953 Member
    Eventually I realized that food cravings have something to do with my daily macros intake. I have made small adjustments when necessary and haven't had cravings for a long time now.

@neugebauer52
    This is true for be, too.

@brenn24179
    1. Not keeping food that calls me in the house✅ no chips, crackers, cookies...for ex.

2. Adding healthier yet still yummy foods to my daily diet
    82% dark chocolate, 1/2 oz, at 2 meals a day
    1 oz unsalted, just peanuts PB
    Or just almonds, almond butter per day
    1/2-1 oz raw unsalted almonds and/or walnuts per day
    My motto: “If you can weigh it to the gram & stick with the plan, you can have them!”
    Side note: a house yes gave me a large can of salted nuts & as others said that’s totally different. Called me all day long from the cupboard.

3. Studying nutrition. If I have the science about why something is good - or bad- for me, it is SO much easier for me to eat it - or not eat it.
  • swim777
    swim777 Posts: 599 Member
    Crunchy peanut butter. There is no substitute.

Love it!!!

• MomLarisa
    MomLarisa Posts: 225 Member
    Most of you are lucky. My cravings do not pass. If I really want a dairy queen blizzard or sundae, I'm going to still crave that sucker hours, days and weeks from now. I don't always indulge the same day, but I know I'll give in a couple days or a week. I have found that I don't need to eat the whole serving of whatever it is, so I curb the size and not the craving itself.
  • bugsinahole
    bugsinahole Posts: 6 Member
    i always thought cravings was like a state of mind and easily pushed to the way side but boy was i wrong. i have found its more like getting a splinter stuck under your nail.. you can pull that bad boy out but you still feel it a long time after. Although i have only been on my journey for a month now i am starting to crave things esp red meat which i can not have and alchohol which i also can not have. So can someone please tell me these craving do lessen?
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    The more I avoid the foods I crave, the less I crave them. I’ll eat 85% dark chocolate but compared to milk chocolate- no craving gets triggered. No chips, cookies or cake in the house. At a party, once I start eating I succumb to it. Avoid the party or don’t eat those foods..... Sigh.
  • Annie42019
    Annie42019 Posts: 85 Member
    Just posted this in the “ What worked for you today” thread.

“Giving into a craving I’ve been having for weeks for chips, guacamole and salsa, all while keeping it in my calorie allowance by making a low cal lunch (soup and cucumbers 150 calls ) and very low cal dinner ( roasted veggies and cod...about 250 calls) then enjoying a nice helping of chips salsa and guacamole. I don’t do things like this often but it really helps to give into cravings from time to time (73 pounds lost...in maintenance for 11 months)”
  • asthesoapturns
    asthesoapturns Posts: 313 Member
    I have so far been successful, not quite 20lb, allowing myself things I'm craving, within reason. This way I'm sticking with it. A couple of salt water taffies, not a whole bag. I can have a piece of chocolate or a mug of cocoa but I have to put into into the app and fit it into my day.