60 yrs and up

Replies

• j29t
    j29t Posts: 228 Member

Good evening and welcome to all new joins. Thanks for all the caring and sharing here 60 and uppers. It seems like the support here is just what we need.
    Today has been a good day. I was a bit blue since my trip to see the grandchildren needed to be postponed. The weather forecasted wasn't favorable for the five hour drive. I set out to keep myself busy. It's quite cold so my walk was inside the building after tracking the days food. The community had a Hula Dance performance and workshop for us, I passed on the snacks served. Had fun and later found some senior Hula YouTube that I'll add to my movement routine. Thought this knitter should be able to learn crochet and practiced that as well as doing an online beginner guitar lesson. Kept my hands and mind busy, got up and moved plenty and the day flew by.
    Wishing all of you well, stay active and eat healthy.

Special aloha to my friends. Om….
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    edited February 2020
    AnnPT77, you are a wealth of information! Thank you.

You're welcome!

I've just been around here for a long time (almost 5 years). There's a lot of good info in the "most helpful posts" sections of each forum area, and some very well-informed people to learn from, including some genuine credentialed experts. After a while, one kind of sees who knows their stuff. ;)
  • getthebabeback
    getthebabeback Posts: 45 Member
    Good morning everyone and a special one to my friends! j29t and annliz23, you must both be so disappointed at not getting to spend planned time with your grandchildren! Mine have spent several days with me this week and gifted me a delightful cold, everytime I cough or blow my nose, I think of them!
    barbiecat, I take my hat off to you for resisting the fresh bread temptation!!
    Just doing some catch up post reading and what struck me was how much else people are dealing with as well as their weight. And, amidst their own worries and problems how much care they show for others on this site. What an amazing group. Always on hand to share and support.
    Yes, I have been reading again and wanted to share some more about gut health with you. I am NOT spruiking the diet in this article, to each his own I say, just the information about the role of a healthy gut.
    https://theconversation.com/mediterranean-diet-increases-gut-bacteria-linked-to-healthy-ageing-in-older-adults-131928
    0o0fw98i11nb.png
  • RCPV
    RCPV Posts: 342 Member
    @getthebabeback , thank you for the above informative chart - some I knew about, some I didn't. I have to admit I had to google the word "spruiking". You learn something new every day. :)
  • lynnchristy
    lynnchristy Posts: 75 Member
    Good morning 60 and uppers :)j29t, you are keeping all kinds of busy, you go girl ;) Happy Aloha Saturday! AnnPT77, thanks again for all the great info you post. You are our info diva B)getthebabeback, Bless you for being a caregiver. A big thanks to you, too for the great chart about good bacteria foods :Dbarbiecat, you are so inspiring to me (hug) Keep on dancing <3RCPV, isn't this message board great, we get a bit of everything we need, what could be better?

Shout out to my friends <3

Have a blessed weekend everyone :D
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,193 Member
    Good morning everyone and a special one to my friends! j29t and annliz23, you must both be so disappointed at not getting to spend planned time with your grandchildren! Mine have spent several days with me this week and gifted me a delightful cold, everytime I cough or blow my nose, I think of them!
    barbiecat, I take my hat off to you for resisting the fresh bread temptation!!
    Just doing some catch up post reading and what struck me was how much else people are dealing with as well as their weight. And, amidst their own worries and problems how much care they show for others on this site. What an amazing group. Always on hand to share and support.
    Yes, I have been reading again and wanted to share some more about gut health with you. I am NOT spruiking the diet in this article, to each his own I say, just the information about the role of a healthy gut.
    https://theconversation.com/mediterranean-diet-increases-gut-bacteria-linked-to-healthy-ageing-in-older-adults-131928
    0o0fw98i11nb.png

Very useful thanks!
  • bacpath
    bacpath Posts: 326 Member
    Thanks @getthebabeback. I found that really interesting. I think we have lots more to learn about our bugs! And thanks to all who post here, I truly find it so helpful, inspiring and supportive. I am still learning about macros and struggle to get all my protein, but have discovered herb and egg white omelets. Tasty and they look a little fancy, so make the eating enjoyable. I have charted my wine and small piece of chocolate for tonight- we’ll see how I resist. Good day to all and thanks again!,,🥰
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    bethe wrote: »
    Well, I just got a big illustration re: the article AnnPT77 posted about scale fluctuations. I just weighed myself this morning, and there's a six pound difference between today and what I weighed two days ago. Fortunately for my ego it's in the "correct" direction - but I now understand on a personal level just how widely weight can vary depending upon day to day factors.

Congrats on the surprising big drop! (It's nice when some of the early experiences trend that way, but of course fluctuations in both directions will happen.)

To me, it seems like not understanding fluctuations is one of the big discouragers for a lot of people, especially when starting out. There are posts about it all the time. People reduce calories, but add a lot of exercise, and get discouraged that they're not losing weight (but the explanation is water weight for muscle repair from the new exercise, which will sort itself out, usually in a small number of weeks).

Or, someone who's losing rapidly decides to eat a couple hundred more calories, sees a big jump on the scale and freaks out, thinking they've "wrecked their metabolism" and can't increase calories without gaining, when all that's happening is that those extra calories cause more digestive system contents in transit, and included carbs (which aren't evil, but tie up a few extra grams of water in the digestive process, per gram of carbs**) and sodium (ditto, for electrolyte balance).

Or, someone has an over-goal day, sees a big scale jump, and thinks they've "ruined all their progress", so gives up, when it's virtually all water weight (carbs and sodium) and extra digestive contents that will be gone in a few days to a week or so.

Mostly, I think, what we want is fat loss . . . and the scale really doesn't measure that, over the short run. Even the fancy "body fat percent" scales are very distorted by hydration, only (at best) good for longer term trends, not short-range monitoring. Water weight fluctuations are part of how a normal, healthy body functions: Ideally, we can learn to live with that, and not try to game it.

I'm a big believer in weight-trending apps (Libra for Android, Happy Scale for iOS, Trendweight with a free Fitbit account (don't need a Fitbit device), Weightgrapher, others). I think we don't have a current "true weight". I think we have a current range of a few pounds up/down over a day to a small number of weeks, and a longer-term trend over weeks to months, where the range cycles gradually lower with successful fat loss.

** Main reason low-carb diets produce a satisfyingly big weight drop quickly: Fewer carbs, less water weight. It will come back if carbs increase again, and cause a scale jump, but it's not fat. Long run, calorie-equalized/protein-equalized diets produce very similar weight loss results, whether higher fat or higher carb. (Protein matters a little in weight loss . . . but we have so many more important reasons to get enough of that. :) ).

Apologies for going all pedantic again!

I hope everyone will have a happy Saturday. It's finally sunny and a little warmer here today (supposed to get up to 40-something F, after days in the teens/twenties. I'm planning to meet some out of town friends (married couple) and go to an orchid show, which is a lovely burst of color and warmth in this late-Winter time. I may even need to bring a new orchid or two home with me . . . though (eek) I killed a couple of my existing ones - that I'd had for at least a year or two - recently. Then, I suppose we'll probably grab lunch or coffee or something. Really looking forward to it!

Best wishes, all, for a happy and productive weekend!
  • RCPV
    edited February 2020
    @AnnPT77, thanks for the above info. I recently had a bad bout of food poisoning and my weight jumped up 3 lbs. overnight. It settled itself back down within the same week and I'm back on track, but had I not been reading posts on MFP about water/waste, etc., I would probably have freaked out. I imagine mine was caused by water retention due to the inflammation the food poisoning caused in my gut, but that's just a guess. The important part is that I didn't freak out, kept to the plan, and am now back on track. :)

P.S. I read most of the stuff you post, so thanks for all the good info.
  • n2gardens56
    n2gardens56 Posts: 74 Member
    Hello everyone, I too enjoyed reading the recent posts and glad to know I am not the only one seeing the scale go up and down, AnnPT77 your information puts it into perspective, because although I have read that all before I tend to freak-out and think this is never going to work. I am seeing a slow drop, but trying not to let the scales dictate my daily mood, and have been avoiding them, looking for changes in my clothes fitting etc to prevent my motivation from sliding. Today here is also warming into the 40's and hope to get out in a few minutes to walk. I sure do appreciate listening to what everyone is doing and giving me inspiration and hope. Have a GREAT day!
  • bacpath
    bacpath Posts: 326 Member
    @AnnPT77 you are not pendactic at all. I love your posts. Please keep it up.
    Cheers, Bev
  • j29t
    j29t Posts: 228 Member
    Hi everyone. Glad to see such an active group. Doing good, had a lovely yesterday. Danced a little, resistance band time and a great walk in the park under sunny skies.

@getthebabeback - hope you feel better soon, I couldn't help but laugh at the comment about the grand kiddos gift (one usually has a runny little nose for sure when I visit mine.) AND OH you've got me thinking about how much I need a farmers market fresh juicy peach. Spring and summer local produce and fruit can't come soon enough here.

@AnnPT77 - your info is great, keep it coming please. Today I decided to weigh in for the week a day early knowing that either way I would call the scale a "terrible matrix." I did, and now I'll put on my loose fitting jeans and head for a nice hike in the park. Don't care that the weight is the same as last week. Also, the bone broth tip for added protein and low calories almost became hazardous when my sweet kitty smelled the aroma in my cup and let me know I should have fixed him some too.

@barbiecat - hope you walk today is 100% chance of sunny. You've now got line dancing added to my bucket list.

@bacpath - keep up the good work girlfriend and @lynnchristy - thanks for the good thoughts and daily cheers.

Today will be a beautiful day in the 50's here and I'm headed to the river to walk along the great falls in the park.

Wishing all of you sunshine today. Om…

• gunderw59
    gunderw59 Posts: 45 Member
    Hello guys, 60 yr old newbie to site. Been doing crossfit at local gym for 8 months went from 285 lbs to 250 then hit the wall. Trying to track diet much closer to break through. I have completed my 1st week logging meals and exercise. I continue to be way low on protein and way above on sodium. I have not reached my calories any of the days but i'm eating a bunch it feels like. I have lost 3 lbs in the first week did 5 days crossfit during that time. I have 2 Questions and hope you can shed some light. I changed weight from 250 to 247 but my allotted calories and macros stayed the same I thought it would be a little less. I also log my exercise each day but it adds more calories and stuff when I do. I cant figure out how to just keep my calories the same and not add. I put original goals as weight loss at rate of 1 lb. per week because I believe in slow and steady. I would welcome all comments and advice. If you want me as a friend that will be great to. Thanks for reading
  • RCPV
    gunderw59 wrote: »
    Hello guys, 60 yr old newbie to site. Been doing crossfit at local gym for 8 months went from 285 lbs to 250 then hit the wall. Trying to track diet much closer to break through. I have completed my 1st week logging meals and exercise. I continue to be way low on protein and way above on sodium. I have not reached my calories any of the days but i'm eating a bunch it feels like. I have lost 3 lbs in the first week did 5 days crossfit during that time. I have 2 Questions and hope you can shed some light. I changed weight from 250 to 247 but my allotted calories and macros stayed the same I thought it would be a little less. I also log my exercise each day but it adds more calories and stuff when I do. I cant figure out how to just keep my calories the same and not add. I put original goals as weight loss at rate of 1 lb. per week because I believe in slow and steady. I would welcome all comments and advice. If you want me as a friend that will be great to. Thanks for reading

@AnnPT77, I'm hoping you'll chime in on this, as I'm sure you can explain a lot better than I can about eating back exercise calories, etc. Throwing this out to you. . .
  • lynnchristy
    lynnchristy Posts: 75 Member
    Good morning 60 and uppers :) Keto Chocolate Mug Cake for breakfast, yummy :p If anyone would like some recipes for keto, paleo or low carb meals here is a link to my pinterest https://www.pinterest.com/frantz_lynn/ there are numerous recipes in all these categories and more <3gunderw59, welcome :) You've come to the right place for info... I am sure AnnPT77and getthebabeback can help you right out. j29t, glad to see you are doing so well, congrats :)n2gardens56, I'm glad to hear I am not the only one going up and down... we can do this if we don't give up <3RCPV, goodness glad to hear you are better now (hug) food poisoning can't be fun. AnnPT77, thanks again for your wealth of knowledge and willingness to share :)bacpath, I'm glad you found a breakfast you like. You might find some more recipes you like at the link I posted. bethe, congrats on the 6# loss, awesome :D

Have a great day everyone :)

Shout out to my friends <3
  • bethe
    bethe Posts: 79 Member
    lynnchristy - thanks for posting your pinterest page. I'll definitely be checking out those recipes!
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Hey, y'all. Walked a couple of miles with the dog yesterday and threw the frisbee around with my son and granddaughter. Lots of work to do today. I remind myself "It's good to have lots to do". And I still sit on my *kitten* way too much. Have a good week, everyone!