When did someone first notice?

Eventually someone will ask, “Did you lose weight?” For some, this is a cringe worthy moment. For others, it’s a validation. How much did you lose before someone took notice?
“OMG! You look GREAT!” How long did you have to work at it to get that first “WOW!” moment?

Replies

• hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    I joined MFP in 2013 at c240lb, it took around 35lb loss before someone mentioned it. This time round, I've lost 12lb from a starting weight of 200lb, and I'm still waiting to hear that!
  • Allgaun
    Allgaun Posts: 221 Member
    My DIL noticed when I lost only 6 lbs, but she's a doctor.

I started at about 200 lbs this time around but in my experience I usually have to lose 20 lbs before anyone says anything.

When you only have a few lbs to lose it can be apparent right away
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    I'm only 5'0", so a little bit of weight gained or lost is very noticeable on me. I think it was about 10 lbs when I started losing weight.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    In my experience, people don't really talk about your weight. I can count on one hand the number of people that said anything, and most of those were people that I see infrequently so the changes were very noticeable to them.

I started running and whatnot during my lunch breaks, and I had far more comments at work about my fitness then I did my weight.
  • MySlimGoals
    MySlimGoals Posts: 750 Member
    One person noticed when I was down 40lbs then at 50 I suddenly had a rush of people commenting. Had some since as I have continued but got most of the comments out of the way now. Got a few people asking for updates and advice too.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    In my experience, people don't really talk about your weight. I can count on one hand the number of people that said anything, and most of those were people that I see infrequently so the changes were very noticeable to them.

I started running and whatnot during my lunch breaks, and I had far more comments at work about my fitness then I did my weight.

Agreed, I lost 30 pounds before people started saying anything, but the first person to notice was nervous about mentioning it, lol. She might have thought I wasn't losing intentionally, or maybe I was just wearing a flattering dress or something. Fortunately for her, that was not the case and I was intentionally and healthily losing weight.
  • thenewkayla
    thenewkayla Posts: 313 Member
    Ive only lost 20lbs and still waiting 80 more to go😬😂
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    edited February 2020
    I lost 14 lbs slowly last year and a handful of people noticed. I thought it was not a grand amount and I did it so slowly that the changes were there, but not that noticeable....I have leaned out rather than seen an enormous change in weight, etc, but people still noticed. I was surprised. In a good way. (lots of "you are so small/tiny" comments, even though still in the overweight BMI category, what?!) For reference point I went from 79 kg down to 72.5 kg.
  • TheGuardian
    TheGuardian Posts: 53 Member
    I lost 25 pounds before anyone commented, but on the other hand I do (and have always) wear baggy clothes, but I ran into someone I had worked with until 6 months earlier and they noticed right away.

Now I get nothing at work except jokes about how I'm wasting away. Which is slightly annoying as I still have 30 more pounds to lose just to get to the middle of my healthy range that I'm targeting (175).
  • IamSimplyDeDe
    IamSimplyDeDe Posts: 3 Member
    I've lost 28 lbs so far and people didn't notice until i started putting before and after photos side by side
  • LRLemon
    LRLemon Posts: 51 Member
    edited February 2020
    At -30 lbs I got, “You look brighter.” At -50 is when people noticed I had lost weight. I think it is relative to proportion: losing 25 lbs when you start off at 200 is a much bigger proportion than losing 25 lbs when you start off at 300. This gives me hope: 10-lb increments will be noticeable as I get closer to goal weight.
  • teeenabeana
    teeenabeana Posts: 92 Member
    When I lost 10 lbs, one of my friends was first to notice. I didn't see much of a change, but I was happy that someone saw a difference so quickly!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!