Any new RUNNERS?... or wise veterans :)

13»

Replies

• kaydensmom2009
    kaydensmom2009 Posts: 57 Member
    edited February 2020
    I’m a new runner. I started 6 weeks ago with a treadmill and could not even run 0.1 miles. I felt really ashamed because everywhere I read said you should be able to start running with a 1-2 miles as an easy beginning runner. I am at 2 miles now at a time and very gradually increasing each week.

I was having problems with getting out of breath and endurance due to it but I noticed a huge change when I decreased the speed by 1 mph. I no longer felt completely winded and was able to go significantly further. My speed is pretty slow but I notice it increasing naturally by just continuing to run. I’m also short and overweight so I expect the speed to increase as weight comes off.

In the beginning running 1 minute really was a challenge, and I can now run for over 20.
  • JustBia
    JustBia Posts: 18 Member
    edited February 2020
    I’m a new runner. I started 6 weeks ago with a treadmill and could not even run 0.1 miles. I felt really ashamed because everywhere I read said you should be able to start running with a 1-2 miles as an easy beginning runner. I am at 2 miles now at a time and very gradually increasing each week.

I was having problems with getting out of breath and endurance due to it but I noticed a huge change when I decreased the speed by 1 mph. I no longer felt completely winded and was able to go significantly further. My speed is pretty slow but I notice it increasing naturally by just continuing to run. I’m also short and overweight so I expect the speed to increase as weight comes off.

In the beginning running 1 minute really was a challenge, and I can now run for over 20.

This is so inspiring. Thank you for sharing! It sounds like you’re enjoying it too.

I can also relate to feeling ashamed. But I think now, looking back, as long as we keep it moving and don’t let that be a hurdle we have every reason to be proud of the progress.

Today I woke up at 730 on a Saturday and hit the park. I had every excuse to not do it this morning but I did and now feel amazing. It’s baby steps for me but as I track each day I’m noticing my distance and run-time increasing. So def the right direction!
  • annie5904
    annie5904 Posts: 84 Member
    Coach to 5 k Then take increasing your distance gradually. Take days off. Believe me I have learned this the hard way. Good luck. Annie