New Cereal $13???

2»

Replies

• MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    I won't even pay that price for the best steak or lobster.

You wouldn't pay $5.50 a pound for the best steak or lobster?
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    yikes. I like cereal but stay away from the high sugary ones (although I do love them) I will be suckered into paying a bit extra for protein or some nuts but this is ridiculous.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    MikePTY wrote: »
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    I won't even pay that price for the best steak or lobster.

You wouldn't pay $5.50 a pound for the best steak or lobster?

The $13.00.
    And I do have a hard time paying that much money for any type of food. I have to really REALLY want it. Maybe if I had more money.....I think I caught my thriftiness from my dad, he never bought anything he didn't absolutely need. :)
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    I always think the "wiuld you spend x on x" debates are a bit silly because everyone has different personal preferences and financial situations that may make something a good deal for them but not for others. At $13 for 38 ounces, thats 5.50 a pound. Would I pay $5.50 a pound for cereal I really like? Sure, I do it all the time. Because where I like, cereal is an imported item that gets hit with tariffs so a 1 pound box ends up being about $6 or $7. So everyone where I live pays that price normally, and we still have cereal aisles in the grocery store. This particular cereal doesn't sound terribly appealing to me because I'm not a nut person. But if I was one, I'd definitely give it a try.

You can always "make something yourself" cheaper than if you get it made for you. That goes with just about any combination food but plenty of people don't have problem paying extra for convienence. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. Just like there's not anything wrong with saving and making it yourself.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    MikePTY wrote: »
    I always think the "wiuld you spend x on x" debates are a bit silly because everyone has different personal preferences and financial situations that may make something a good deal for them but not for others. At $13 for 38 ounces, thats 5.50 a pound. Would I pay $5.50 a pound for cereal I really like? Sure, I do it all the time. Because where I like, cereal is an imported item that gets hit with tariffs so a 1 pound box ends up being about $6 or $7. So everyone where I live pays that price normally, and we still have cereal aisles in the grocery store. This particular cereal doesn't sound terribly appealing to me because I'm not a nut person. But if I was one, I'd definitely give it a try.

You can always "make something yourself" cheaper than if you get it made for you. That goes with just about any combination food but plenty of people don't have problem paying extra for convienence. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. Just like there's not anything wrong with saving and making it yourself.

You make some valid points but I guess relatively speaking, where you live this particular cereal would also increase in price substantially to cost even more. We pay a lot more for alcohol(more than double in most cases) in Canada, then our neighbors in the U.S do, but our sales are still quite high..I'd say probably very similar. The market dictates what something is worth, time will tell if this cereal brand survives.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    edited February 2020
    Just buy the regular cereal and add your own almonds, cranberries and cherries 🍒 much cheaper lol add your own coconut oils if you want that lol

That was my first thought.

My second thought was that dried cherries are pretty expensive. This cereal probably uses more cranberries than cherries.

Who has a good source for dried cherries in 1 pound or less quantities? (No sulfites / preservatives.) I need them for Chocolate Chunk Cherry cookies, which are amazing, but the cherries sure drives up the price. I gave my neighbor a few cookies from my first batch and she loved them so much she wanted to buy a batch, so I priced it out.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Maybe those are flakes of gold? The ingredients are dried cherries, dried cranberries, and almonds. The cost is likely a reflection of the ingredients. 280 calories for 2/3 of a cup and half those calories from fat, add some milk and we have over 300 calories that likely won't fill me for long. I like cereal once in a while, but this is a pretty easy nope for me for a few reasons.

Probably. A type of trail mix or granola. You could make it yourself, or a version of it, cheaper.

And your version of it could leave out things you don’t like and add things you do.
    It could make the macros better for your way of eating.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    cathipa wrote: »
    Why is it so expensive?

But nope, I don't eat cereal anyway.

From the article I read...

"We're innovating in new product forms that command premium price points, including our new Morning Summit cereal, which has almonds as a first ingredient and sells for $13 a box," the company's CEO Jeff Harmening told investors in a conference on Tuesday.

The cereal aimed at health-conscious consumers also contains organic coconut oil and pumpkin seeds. For sweetness, General Mills added dried sugary cranberries and dried cherries to the blend.

The sales price is part of a strategy to offer "compelling innovation" and "health benefits" that give consumers a reason to walk down the cereal aisle at grocery stores, Harmening said.

Whoa! This must be some pretty high calorie stuff. No thanks.
  • savannahs21
    savannahs21 Posts: 364 Member
    How much is it in the store?
  • keishakylejohnson
    keishakylejohnson Posts: 42 Member
    cosco 12.99 :)