How do you feel...

When you see numerous tv shows, competitions, boot camps, documentaries, news items, magazine articles, research blah blah blah etc on weight loss, but barely a smidgen on weight loss maintenance?

Replies

• Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,526 Member
    I agree that the extremes are what we're seeing in most cases, look at the magazines to lose 10lbs in a week at the grocery store. I've been decluttering the house and came across old Oxygen magazines which has some weight loss articles but mostly strength training and eating for exercise. It's a refreshing change of pace to flip through those.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    I only watch about 8hrs of T.V. a week and do not "waste" my time on such garbage.....
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,777 Member
    The money is in attracting folks to weight loss schemes. There are some books on maintaining but it’s not as glamorous so not tv show material. It doesn’t bother me particularly although it would be nice to have more support attached to maintaining
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited February 2020
    threewins wrote: »
    When you see numerous tv shows, competitions, boot camps, documentaries, news items, magazine articles, research blah blah blah etc on weight loss, but barely a smidgen on weight loss maintenance?

A good deal of the time many of the things you mentioned are slanted in a way that is detrimental to the weight loss process. Should I want more coverage of maintenance to potentially drop the success rate even lower?
  • katsheare
    katsheare Posts: 1,025 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    There are plenty of shows and other information sources about weight maintenance. We just don't think of them as being about weight maintenance. We think of them as being about cooking, nutrition, exercise, fitness, gardening, and topics like that.

People who've always been a healthy weight are part of the same species as those of us who have lost weight and are trying to stay at a healthy weight, and we all do it pretty much the same range of ways: Implicitly or explicitly, we manage the balance of our eating and activity, over time. I can't imagine why someone would want to narrow their audience potential by targeting only the subset who used to be overweight.

Yes, weight loss is more trumpeted, for reasons others have mentioned, mostly profit potential. Also, if the weight maintenance topic were made the centerpiece of a TV show or movie, for the viewer that would be pretty much like watching paint dry. No drama.

(One of the things that makes maintenance difficult to do is that it's boring, and lasts forever.)

Given the recent interest in 'slow TV' (at least in the UK) it may be a perfect foil the the over-amped, steady cam hyper-dramatised little bits of those sorts of shows I've observed in past years.

I do sometimes feel like yelling at the radio (or whatever medium the entertainment is on) 'You're missing a HUGE part of the process!!!', but I frequently feel like yelling at the radio (at least when politicians are on BBC Radio 4...)

Interestingly, thinking through the programming on CBeebies (which my son still loves watching), there are a couple food/cooking shows and a couple health shows, but mostly what you see are characters who move a lot. You will see eating, not always the best food, but you see a lot more activity. Generally showing a balanced lifestyle rather than a specifically healthy one.