What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Replies

• ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    ejbronte wrote: »
    I love snails and am always surprised when people consider them weird or squicky, but I have to admit that if asked to describe what they taste like I'd probably say garlic and butter.

This makes me think of the trip to New Orleans my mother, sister and I took many years ago - for Mardi Gras. My sister and I wanted to try alligator, but they came deep-fried, and all we tasted was the batter. I don't remember the texture, so I guess it didn't bother me.

I tried crocodile in South Africa. It was horrible -- kind of like the texture of undercooked chicken with a fishy taste -- but I suspect it wasn't the best prepared.
    I don't like most things that come in shells; not sure why, but that's the way it is. Includes shrimp and lobster, which my brother finds appalling.

I like most shellfish a lot -- shrimp, crab, clams, and oysters especially -- but lobster is only okay to me and I never really want it.

I actually liked alligator, aside of shark it's probably one of the "bravest" things I've tried aside of shark and snakethough it was fried, most of the things posted aren't things I'd be able to put in my mouth! I feel the same about lobster, I'd rather have something else and don't find it exciting at all. My aunt always wants to make it when we visit and would rather have sides and skip it.

I'm not a brave eater at all, and there is, I confess, a lot of food I just don't like. However, I did finish a dish bravely once: when I travel, I like to find a restaurant I can happily go to in the evening. It works out nicely: I get to know the place, and the staff is invariably pleasant when they realize I can be a short-time regular. In Lyon I would choose from a small selection of previewed items, and one evening, the waitress said I should try the pate. I don't like pate, or chopped liver or any variation. I made an excuse to refuse it. She smiled and said, don't worry, we'll make it so you like it. She disappeared and returned a little bit later with one of the most sweetly arranged plates I've ever seen. The pate looked delectable. It tasted (for me) terrible. But after all the effort they went through, I couldn't not finish it, and so I did. And I continued to go there during my week in Lyon.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Splenda is horrible
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Bacon doesn't make everything better.

Agreed. Even when I was a meat eater, I didn't buy into the bacon worshipping hype.

What else? Avocados are vile, and so are raisins in baked goods. Masquerading as chocolate chips...well, that's just plain evil.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Also, I felt adventurous yesterday and tried the Impossible burger crumbles at Qdoba. Never again...big nope.
  • brittanystebbins95
    brittanystebbins95 Posts: 567 Member
    edited February 2020
    Biscuits are disgusting. It's like a mouthful of dry, crumbly chalk. Yuck. It does not matter how much gravy, butter, or whatever else you slather them in.
    American biscuits, that is. I know our friends over seas call their cookies that.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    I find chips & salsa in Mexican restaurants to be very blah and the least yummy thing there.

I also think margaritas are meh.

xvbk9bns5h4y.gif
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Also, I felt adventurous yesterday and tried the Impossible burger crumbles at Qdoba. Never again...big nope.

Those were a huge disappointment to me. I like Impossible crumble, just not theirs.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Maple syrup on pancakes is a waste of calories.

Gimme all the calories, I can't get enough!! :)
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Biscuits are disgusting. It's like a mouthful of dry, crumbly chalk. Yuck. It does not matter how much gravy, butter, or whatever else you slather them in.
    American biscuits, that is. I know our friends over seas call their cookies that.

Biscuits are definitely very easy to get wrong. The ones that peel apart in perfect thin layers are amazing.

Those may be good . . . but - in US terminology (and I know you live in my neck of the woods) - that's really not a "biscuit." That's a kind of "roll", possibly a type of butter-flake roll. (/curmudgeon).

And Southern-style buttermilk biscuits, made with soft (usually self-rising) flour and a dough that's almost too soft to handle, fresh from the oven . . . those are excellent. It's like a yummy rich light cloud of warm butter delivery, and a little good honey won't hurt it, either.

This is probably why I always pick out the wrong recipes and don't get the flaky layers I want, lol.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,718 Member

Biscuits are definitely very easy to get wrong. The ones that peel apart in perfect thin layers are amazing.

Those may be good . . . but - in US terminology (and I know you live in my neck of the woods) - that's really not a "biscuit." That's a kind of "roll", possibly a type of butter-flake roll. (/curmudgeon).

And Southern-style buttermilk biscuits, made with soft (usually self-rising) flour and a dough that's almost too soft to handle, fresh from the oven . . . those are excellent. It's like a yummy rich light cloud of warm butter delivery, and a little good honey won't hurt it, either.

This is probably why I always pick out the wrong recipes and don't get the flaky layers I want, lol.

Possible I'm not understanding what you're describing, but if you Google butterflake rolls, you can see if that's close. It's a yeast roll. The ones I see pictured if I do that have rather thick layers, but layers. I've seen the ones with thin layers. Might just be how thin one rolls out the dough before layering/stacking (probably). :)

Good biscuits are sort of flaky, but super-soft random flakes so I've never related to using that "flaky" term for them (until they're cold, so not as good). Definitely not layers.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,718 Member

Possible I'm not understanding what you're describing, but if you Google butterflake rolls, you can see if that's close. It's a yeast roll. The ones I see pictured if I do that have rather thick layers, but layers. I've seen the ones with thin layers. Might just be how thin one rolls out the dough before layering/stacking (probably). :)

Good biscuits are sort of flaky, but super-soft random flakes so I've never related to using that "flaky" term for them (until they're cold, so not as good). Definitely not layers.

https://carnaldish.com/recipes/flaky-buttery-buttermilk-biscuits/

This is what I'm thinking:

40zsexq6utuk.jpg

Gotcha. That is, technically, a biscuit, but not the common type. The rolling in layers thing is uncommon.
  • Ravenspurn
    Ravenspurn Posts: 14 Member

I think I know what you are referring to, it's based on a type of Bread baked in a Tagine.
    It's a soda bread that has Butter combined in thin strands to give the layers prior to baking rather than rubbing the Butter in fully.
    It's almost like Devonshire Scone.

I have seen it a few times when I was in the states, specifically in the West of Texas, and in North Carolina.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member

40zsexq6utuk.jpg

Gotcha. That is, technically, a biscuit, but not the common type. The rolling in layers thing is uncommon.

I haven't had them that often, but they were good enough for me to remember them despite that. I'm trying to remember who made them for us at Christmas.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    edited February 2020

If the biscuits you've been given were dry and crumbly, then you have been given some bad version of biscuit and I'm sorry to hear that! A good southern biscuit, while it will crumb a bit, should not be dry.

qt977ax9qefo.png

Yes, Pillsbury calls them biscuits which gets confusing. In my head I differentiate "flaky biscuits" and "Southern biscuits". Both when done right are yumtastic, but easy to screw up :blush:
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member

40zsexq6utuk.jpg

I haven't had them that often, but they were good enough for me to remember them despite that. I'm trying to remember who made them for us at Christmas.

The picture you shared is what i think of when I think of biscuits... BUT I learned from Cook's Illustrated that there are different techniques to biscuits. There are butter-based and cream based. Here's more on the science (because I am a total nerd):

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/blog/2014/08/12/battle-of-the-biscuits

https://www.instructables.com/id/The-Science-of-Biscuits/
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    I love snails and am always surprised when people consider them weird or squicky, but I have to admit that if asked to describe what they taste like I'd probably say garlic and butter.

Yay! I’m not alone!