Help! Cant lose and need to get 40 pounds off in 4 months! Surgery need.

I have been with myfitness for years. I lost 66 pounds a few years ago. I was happy. After a time I got a little lax, having fries occasionally, a donut, etc. I have a very bad back and have been trying to take the 30 I gained back off. I was just at dr and they said they could do my surgery, but it would be better with less side effects if I lost 40 pounds. Surgery is in June. Anyone have ideas? I’d appreciate help. I have been documenting my intake and activity but can’t lose. I think I need to remove bread items. Even though I document they may be stopping my progress. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Debbie552016
    Debbie552016 Posts: 8 Member
    What type of scale works best? I have been using cups, measuring spoons and package calories or calories on my fitness. Thanks for the response
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    What type of scale works best? I have been using cups, measuring spoons and package calories or calories on my fitness. Thanks for the response

Any digital food scale with a TARE button is fine. You can pick one up for under $20 at Walmart or Target.
  • Debbie552016
    Just ordered my scale! Will have tomorrow! Thanks for ideas. Not sure why I was able to get the 66 off before and now can’t get a pound off. Guess I got lazy
  • quiksylver296
    Just ordered my scale! Will have tomorrow! Thanks for ideas. Not sure why I was able to get the 66 off before and now can’t get a pound off. Guess I got lazy

This thread has some great tips for using a food scale, that will save you time and frustration.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10634517/you-dont-use-a-food-scale/p1
  • Debbie552016
    Thank you very much!
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    40lbs by june is going to be rough unless you have 100+lbs to lose - safe weight is approx 2lbs a week - and there are 12(ish) weeks until June - so assuming you do 2lbs a week that is 24lbs
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Remember even with the scale, to figure out how many calories per day you should be eating. Because based on what you feel you need to lose before surgery. You are going to need a large daily deficit. For women, MFP will suggest 1200 as the low end.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Same my surgery is in June too. I’ve been intermittent fasting and cut my calories way down. I’m doing a different eating schedule this week so we will see how goes. But what I was doing was having a keto coffee in morning then around 12 had a supper broth 45 cal and a yes soup around 140-170 cal sometimes some kind of snack and a sensible dinner. Like a salmon burger with avacado dressing, or whatever a serving of something was. Last two week I averaged around 2 lbs. tried to eat around 1200 calls. Avoiding bread mostly except occasionally pizza. But I still lost. I really changed my eating and cut down a lot of the nonsense snacks. I’m interested to see what happens this week! You can add me if you like since we are onto the same goals similarly😗 good luck
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited February 2020
    Just wondering why/how the doctor expects you to safely lose 40 pounds in less than 4 months? That’s pretty aggressive.
  • Debbie552016
    I know this is pretty much impossible, but I want to do my best. I did this once, I have to do it again. I’m not good at fasting as my blood sugar takes a dump and I get shakes, sweaty, etc. but soup I can do. I make bone broth and other soups all the time. I know I’m supposed to have 1200 calories a day according to my initial sign into myfitness. And, unfortunately I can’t exercise much as my back prevents it. I walk about 30 minutes a day. And, when I logged in I was pretty sedentary. So, 1200 should be accurate. I think I just need to be more careful on measurements and I think I need to stop with a sweet with my tea in the afternoon. Stick to an apple with peanut butter or something. I love to bake and cook and I’ve pretty much stopped this. Unless I plan to share with family.
  • Debbie552016
    Missysippy, the dr does not expect it, he just stated that with being overweight the risks were higher and the procedure is more difficult. I said, how much would I need to lose and he answered, 40. That’s where this is coming from. He said that he will do my surgery, and does not consider me to be the highest risk or he would not do the surgery. I’m just trying to do what I can, 40 being the target.
  • quiksylver296
    I know this is pretty much impossible, but I want to do my best. I did this once, I have to do it again. I’m not good at fasting as my blood sugar takes a dump and I get shakes, sweaty, etc. but soup I can do. I make bone broth and other soups all the time. I know I’m supposed to have 1200 calories a day according to my initial sign into myfitness. And, unfortunately I can’t exercise much as my back prevents it. I walk about 30 minutes a day. And, when I logged in I was pretty sedentary. So, 1200 should be accurate. I think I just need to be more careful on measurements and I think I need to stop with a sweet with my tea in the afternoon. Stick to an apple with peanut butter or something. I love to bake and cook and I’ve pretty much stopped this. Unless I plan to share with family.

Side note: Peanut butter was one of my biggest wake-up calls when I started using a food scale. What I thought was 2 tablespoons and 190 calories was more like 400 calories.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member

Calories are calories. Peanut butter is very calorie dense. Are you using a food scale and logging everything you eat and drink accurately? Exercise isn’t essential for weight loss, but eating less calories than your body burns is.
    Best of luck! I hope you have success❤️
  • Debbie552016
    Wow on the peanut butter! Won’t have any till I get my scale! Thanks for the wishes!