60 yrs and up

Replies

• lindagalbreath577
    lindagalbreath577 Posts: 75 Member
    Wow thank you AnnPT77 that was very helpfull. I had stomach surgery and had to have gastric bypass in August so I have a hard time eating the calories I should. I set my calories to 1000 because 1200 was too much. I have 200-300 calories left over at the end of the day . Will have to work on at least eating 1000. I am active and exercise 4times a week and walk. It’s a process! I love the information and encouragement here! Everyone have a good day!
  • RCPV
    RCPV Posts: 342 Member
    @lindagalbreat577, perhaps adding a protein powder mixed with water would help? It would add calories but shouldn't fill you up too much.
  • bethe
    bethe Posts: 79 Member
    To all our new folks, I recommend that you read the 60 yrs and Up thread from the beginning if you haven't already. TONS of very helpful information there to think about and digest (lol).
  • teresadannar
    teresadannar Posts: 199 Member
    j29t wrote: »
    Monday greetings and welcome to the newbies. Hope all is going smoothly. Yesterday was a marvelous spring like winter day here. Before my hike at Great Falls National Park I had food logged, snack packed, lunch salad and dinner prepped in the fridge. The walk was so refreshing and challenging climbing up and down the sharp craggy rocks. I took a good rest on a big rock overlooking the river counting my blessings. The river is low, we haven't had any snow here this winter.

Life is what we make it, make it good today.
    mzdkc7pob1h3.jpg

This is beautiful, how fortunate you are to have such a gorgeous view to visit! I hope you post a spring time picture in a couple of months when the trees leaf out.
  • Gemini61454
    Gemini61454 Posts: 85 Member
    In the same boat, no posts here for over a month. Anyone still working on this? Age 65 maintaining...
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,903 Member
    xxBillx wrote: »
    Thanks. I am trying to figure out the proper way to add friends..I don't think I am doing it right. I have just been sending messages. Is that how?

:) If you want to add someone as a friend, you go to their profile page (click on their name under their picture, then click on their name again in the window that pops up). On their profile page is a box that says "Add as a friend". Click on that. I have not found friends useful to me in the same way that posting on this read and reading what others have posted is useful. I urge you to keep coming back to this thread, tell us a bit about yourself and comment or ask questions about what others have posted.

:) I came to MFP at age 62 with over 50 pounds to lose and got lots of help, encouragement and information from a thread I found then. I recently found this thread and am enjoying the support and friendship to keep me going.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • 7sorok
    7sorok Posts: 112 Member
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Well, I'm 66 and hanging in there. I can't decide if I'm at GW or not; it's taking everything I have to nudge the scale down at all. I do really well all day long, then the magic hour(s) come right before bed and all I want to do is munch munch munch. It's all too easy to add another 300 calories to my day. :/ I'll be so glad when it stays lighter later than 5:00 p.m. and I am outside more often and I really can't wait to start another garden!!! You'd think somebody who doesn't like the long winters would move someplace else but I'm such a homebody. I still live a 5 minute walk from my childhood home. :/
    One day at a time and one foot in front of another. :)

Hey, hey I'm the same. I'm doing wonderfully great all day, but at 9:30 PM the struggle begins and I get about 600-1000 extra calories eating whatever. I had lost initially 50 lbs since the last January but put back about 5. If I would not exercise, I would balloon again. I actually try to add additional days of going to the Y (I actually swim 3x a week) to speed up my metabolism. I also can't wait for the spring and warmth and being outside.

So, welcome to MFP and good luck
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,242 Member
    Not a bad day after all, weather rainy but just managed to dash the dogs round for a 2 mile bisk walk then while hubby cooked completed full body workout so now hoping to fit in some yoga before yummy pancakes!
    Hope your all having a productive day too!
  • lynnchristy
    lynnchristy Posts: 75 Member
    For sending a friend request... while you are on the message board you click on someone's pic... then when the next page comes up click on the pic again you will be at a place to send a friend request. I hope this helps. I also hope it works for you :)
  • bacpath
    bacpath Posts: 326 Member
    Hello all and welcome to the newcomers. The more the merrier. I did well this week with overall 1.6 lbs loss. Which included one day when I lost 2 lbs, then gained back 0.4 the next. Thanks @AnnPT77 . This week I am at a wine show with 2 very special dinners. They are tasting menus and I won’t be able to track. My plan is to give my husband 1/2 of my food and wine (he agrees😁). I know I will likely gain this week and am dreading seeing that #. I’m afraid I will lose motivation. I will be needing lots of extra support this week. And I know this group is good for that. Cheers everyone.
  • RCPV
    RCPV Posts: 342 Member
    @bacpath, look on this week as a "refeed" week and then get right back on track next week. It's only 2 dinners - enjoy. :)
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,903 Member
    :) I live in a 55+ community that has a class two mornings a week called "Fit and Fall Proof". It is meant for all fitness levels including people who have to hold onto a chair or sit in a chair to do the exercises. It's a pleasant full body workout with a group of fun people. I can go only to one class a week because I teach line dance the morning of the second class.

:)bacpath One of my watchwords is "Do not be discouraged". Don't let a few days of deviating from the straight and narrow be a reason to be discouraged. Keep doing what you know what to be best for you.

:)annliz, I see only one dog in your photo but you refer to "dogs". Tell us about your dogs.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • getthebabeback
    getthebabeback Posts: 45 Member
    Hi everyone, hello to all those who have joined this group. Special hello to my friends. Look after number one my mother always says, because no-one else can. I hope you all have a day that puts a smile on your face. 500 gms fell by the "weigh side" (pun intended) this week. :)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    bacpath wrote: »
    Hello all and welcome to the newcomers. The more the merrier. I did well this week with overall 1.6 lbs loss. Which included one day when I lost 2 lbs, then gained back 0.4 the next. Thanks @AnnPT77 . This week I am at a wine show with 2 very special dinners. They are tasting menus and I won’t be able to track. My plan is to give my husband 1/2 of my food and wine (he agrees😁). I know I will likely gain this week and am dreading seeing that #. I’m afraid I will lose motivation. I will be needing lots of extra support this week. And I know this group is good for that. Cheers everyone.

Please don't let anxiety about eating these interesting menus interfere with enjoying them: That's - IMO - a foot on a slippery slope to an iffy relationship with food.

Make a plan, be moderate but enjoy yourself, and relax. Have fun! Maybe get in some extra sight-seeing or other walking, have some fun conversations with new people at the show to keep it a little less food-focused, and enjoy.

Truly, one unusual week, with a couple of tasting menus, is only going to be a tiny blip in terms of weight management, once it's in your rear-view mirror. You'll want to have such special events worked happily into your life as you go forward into weight maintenance, so this is just a chance to start practicing.

When you get back home, you may see a bit of a scale jump, but don't let it worry you. The vast, vast majority will be water weight (especially if you are flying home!). Just get back on your normal, healthy routine right away when you're home, and the water weight will drop off in a a few days to a couple of weeks. It's no big deal.

Some people would tell you not to weigh yourself for a week or so, to avoid a freak-out. Personally, I think that's a missed learning opportunity, if you can do your usual weigh-ins without it being super-stressful. Understanding how my weight fluctuates when I do something unusual, how long it will take to return to normal, etc., was really powerful for me in staying calm and trusting the process, over the long haul. Knowledge and understanding wipes out anxiety and self-recrimination. Understanding how it all works is an antidote to that impulse to panic and give up. :)

Have fun, it'll be fine. :flowerforyou:
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    P.S. There have been a few long weekend trips when I ate two or even three TIMES my maintenance calories for a couple of days. Normally, my weight will be back to the normal range in something between one and two weeks, without extraordinary compensatory measures.
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,242 Member
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :) I live in a 55+ community that has a class two mornings a week called "Fit and Fall Proof". It is meant for all fitness levels including people who have to hold onto a chair or sit in a chair to do the exercises. It's a pleasant full body workout with a group of fun people. I can go only to one class a week because I teach line dance the morning of the second class.

:)bacpath One of my watchwords is "Do not be discouraged". Don't let a few days of deviating from the straight and narrow be a reason to be discouraged. Keep doing what you know what to be best for you.

:)annliz, I see only one dog in your photo but you refer to "dogs". Tell us about your dogs.

<3 Barbie in NW WA

I have two a black poodle as well 5 years old female super deva and two rescue cats
  • lindagalbreath577
    lindagalbreath577 Posts: 75 Member
    RCPV thank you for the advice I will do that.