Keto or not to keto

The problem with Keto is no bread and no real fruit. One loses weight quickly but the craving for bread is intense....

Counting calories. This is no fun. Who likes to keep track of everything put into the mouth.

I have been very inconsistent in my weight loss because of this....

Replies

• jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    Maybe do something else that you can stick to? It's not like Keto and straight weighing everything is the ONLY way to lose. You just need to create a deficit and if bread makes you happy, then have some. If you dont want to track, maybe IF would create a deficit without having to measure everything? (Keep in mind that it works just because you are eating for fewer hours and thus typically eating less food. Some people still need to track to create a deficit but for some narrowing the eating window is enough).
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    There are all kinds of meal plans out there to control your calories without counting. Also, as suggested you could try doing some type of time restricted eating. You could even do a hybrid Keto and calorie counting system where you stay on Keto for 5 days and count calories for 2 or some other variation.

• daisyfields79
    daisyfields79 Posts: 69 Member
    I’m doing keto for 3 weeks now and I only had one day that I wanted toast really bad. I went to the store and checked out every loaf and got the one with the lowest carbs. I had one piece and it was perfect and it didn’t throw me out of ketosis. You can have days with higher carbs but as long as you stay under 50 carbs, you will not be kicked out of ketosis. I try to stay under 30 though, so the one slice of bread didn’t kill me. Good luck.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,048 Member
    The problem with Keto is no bread and no real fruit. One loses weight quickly but the craving for bread is intense....

One loses *water* weight quickly on keto, but rate of FAT loss depends only on calorie deficit. A 500 calorie daily deficit with a high carb-low fat way of eating has the same one pound/wk loss as a 500 calorie daily deficit on keto. Keto works for some people because fat is satisfying so it’s easier for them to sustain deficit eating. It’s not true for everyone. And it provides no magical benefits beyond a calorie deficit. If you eat a surplus on keto, you will gain.

Give yourself the best chance at consistency and success by setting an appropriate calorie goal (I.e. a reasonable rate of loss) and using your calories on the foods you find most satisfying and enjoyable.
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    You might be pleasantly surprised to find out you enjoy planning, weighing and logging your food to ensure a calorie deficit when you start to see the scale go down. As they say, you have to chose your hard.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    Good news! You can eat any way you want as long as you create a calorie deficit.

h27zjawgvyoy.jpg
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member

Counting calories. This is no fun. Who likes to keep track of everything put into the mouth.

I have been very inconsistent in my weight loss because of this....

There is a whole big area between keto and calorie counting. I don't count calories and I don't do keto and I lose weight just fine. When I want to cut winter weight, I typically cut back on carbohydrates, but not remotely close to keto levels. When I'm trying to cut some weight, most of my evening meals will be a protein and a veg and I skip the grain or starch with dinner and I cut back a bit on snacking.

There's lots of ways to do this. I could never do keto and be successful. I did count calories for awhile, which gave me some good insight and training to the point that I don't really need it in my day to day to either maintain or cut some weight when I want to.