Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Are There Benefits to Intermittent Fasting? (NY Times article)

I thought some people might find this interesting:

Are There Benefits to Intermittent Fasting? (NY Times)

"The best diet is the one where you are healthy, hydrated and living your best life. If you want to fast, it offers similar weight-loss benefits to just cutting calories."

https://nyti.ms/2KNpYVM

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    It started strong but then it went downhill culminating in the statement that it can take several days or longer for your body to start burning fat. The moment you are in an energy deficit is the moment you begin burning fat.
  • SoUl_ReBeL2021
    SoUl_ReBeL2021 Posts: 120 Member
    I'm doing 16:8 and have loss 13 pounds no keto just eating at my BMR not exercising. I've noticed it's decreased my appetite. So yeah I would definitely say intermittent fasting works!
  • SlayLikeAWarrior
    SlayLikeAWarrior Posts: 89 Member
    IF works...I have been doing 18:7 and I am in fasted state during my workouts.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    sijomial wrote: »
    IF works...I have been doing 18:7 and I am in fasted state during my workouts.

Is squeezing 25 hours into a day a benefit of IF?

:smiley:

18:7 and 8 days a week!! ;)
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited March 2020
    For weight loss it isn't any more beneficial than standard 10% caloric deficit. If it helps you adhere to a caloric deficit better long term then I have no issues.

Also it could be useful for those who train for ultra type events.
  • PWHF
    PWHF Posts: 221 Member
    Man, I can't understand why anyone would hit "Disagree" with @missyelainious. She just told us that it's working for her. How can you disagree with that?

Trust me you don't want to get into that can of worms. And yeah - she didn't even make any 'claims' unless you count 'really liking it' and 'feeling great'.

Or - playing Devil's advocate maybe it's someone from the pro IF camp disagreeing with her saying that it gives her more room to eat bigger meals thus reinforcing that commonly accepted notion that IF just helps with adhering to numbers.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    It was nice that they emphasized several times it's about sticking to something, not dropping out, same as regular diet if really done. Touched on a few items research is showing.

But then they went and threw in a common type phrase that just confuses people about the whole energy supply - "But it can take a few days — sometimes weeks — of fasting regularly for your body to start burning fat for fuel."

Why must something either undefined or not clarified that is untrue at face value be thrown in?
  • JacqMoon
    JacqMoon Posts: 1 Member
    I started IF 16:8 Jan 1. I also keep my daily cal intake to 1200-1500. I’ve added walking 5-6 times per week and mix up the pace, length and time. I’m 62 and have lost about 22 lbs. Since beginning IF I noticed increased energy and return of mental sharpness. It also cuts out those after dinner snacking calories. I’m not super regimented. I’ve made that mistake in the past, but most days I stop eating by 6:30-7pm and resume with a healthy snack before lunch. It seems to work and doesn’t seem hard to follow.