Best type of dancing getting in shape and getting "dancer legs"

Options
I've never taken a dance class but used to do vintage dancing as a hobby a number of years ago.

Keto lower body workouts but feel like I'm getting more of an athletic bulky look to my legs said than what I'd like.

I know dancers notoriously have great legs and dancing on a regular basis in general is great for your health, plus it's fun for me.

That said if I were to consider taking a beginner adult dancing class what kind do you think produces the nicest legs?

I keep thinking tap but I don't know.

Replies

• GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    My sister is a former ballerina. I don't know if that means she knows anything ... But she used to take Jazzercize classes.
  • Leila02124
    Leila02124 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Salsa dancing !
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Ballet? Barre is also really popular right now. You might like Zumba. If you just want really slim legs, you need to stay in a calorie deficit.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    It depends on what you mean by “nice legs”? Great dancers have very muscular legs and I assume that by “bulky” you mean muscular. If you mean slender vs thicker, overall leg shape is mostly determined by genetics and your overall body weight.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    I'm often getting compliments on my legs, I have since I was about 16 🤣😂
    Running actually help nicely shape my legs
    Pilates is good for stretching and strengthening
    I'd suggest a barre class. If you want to do some dance classes ballet would work or ballroom of any kind as it teaches you to stretch and gives the illusion you are elongating your legs.
    It's good to get a lesson from a pro though to teach proper turn out because that makes a huge difference.
    I attribute my leggy success to good genes and the fact my height comes from my legs and I've been doing a leg intensive sport for over 40 years
  • pest3147
    pest3147 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    ZUMBA baby!!!
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Ballet for longer, leaner. Hula is great for thigh muscles. Barre classes are easy to find right now.
    I love hip hop, but I don’t especially think it’s best for legs, good, just not sure it’s great.
    Yoga stretch classes are also good for leaner looking legs.
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    Options
    Lifting. Squats deadlifts lunges . Plus some accessory moves like hamstring curls, leg extensions, calf raises and leg presses. As part of a well written hypertrophy programme.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options
    Two things:

1. Keep in mind that professional dancers are selected, in part, for their "look" (alongside skills, of course). Each of us works within a certain genetic framework, and the joy is in valuing and optimizing who we individually are, IMO.

2. As a vast overgeneralization, dancers have done a lot of things that involve muscular endurance: Repeating movements, usually bodyweight movements, thousands of times, and cumulatively probably literally millions of times. This has different results from "strength training", in the sense of doing much more limited repetitions of movements with heavier resistance.

Any style of dancing will tend toward producing "dancer's legs" if you do a lot of it. If you wonder what kind of legs from different types of dancing, look up photos of professionals in the type of dance that interests you (keeping in mind my point #1 above).

Best wishes!
  • Merinov75
    Merinov75 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Salsa music !!!