Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Help settle an argument- coffee as a diet aid

Replies

• fitnessguy266
    fitnessguy266 Posts: 150 Member
    J72FIT wrote: »
    Weight loss = CI<CO, that's it. There is nothing magical about coffee or any other food for that matter...

Fixed that for you.

• fitnessguy266
    edited February 2020
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Weight loss = CI<CO, that's it. There is nothing magical about coffee or any other food for that matter...

Fixed that for you.

Actually, you made it incorrect.
    Weight loss can be water weight fluctuations or digestive contents and have nothing to do with CICO. Fat loss specifically is what ties to CI<CO, in other words energy maintenance.

Certainly, because there are absolutely no other drivers at work for fat loss.....just CI<CO. Got it...
  • fitnessguy266

Fixed that for you.

Weight loss can be water weight fluctuations or digestive contents and have nothing to do with CICO. Fat loss specifically is what ties to CI<CO, in other words energy maintenance.

Certainly, because there are absolutely no other drivers at work for fat loss.....just CI<CO. Got it...

That's not what you said though. Regardless of what you might think about the process of fat loss, your "correction" didn't say that and was factually incorrect.

My apologies there, weight loss, holistically speaking is a combination of all the above. In the context of "optimized" fat loss, CI<CO is not the ulitmate factor, but that's a different convo. My bad :)

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited February 2020

Fixed that for you.

That's not what you said though. Regardless of what you might think about the process of fat loss, your "correction" didn't say that and was factually incorrect.

My apologies there, weight loss, holistically speaking is a combination of all the above. In the context of "optimized" fat loss, CI<CO is not the ulitmate factor, but that's a different convo. My bad :)

I will happily avoid that derail and go back to drinking my coffee. :lol::drinker:
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member

Fixed that for you.

Maybe not but it certainly covers the lion's share. If you want to deal with minutia feel free...
  • fitnessguy266
    wmd1979 wrote: »

Fixed that for you.

OMG, seriously, there always has to be that one person...As much as I am sure the OP appreciates you hijacking their thread to talk about "optimizing" fat loss, can we please try to stick to the topic at hand and not make it about your own personal beliefs? If you don't believe that CICO is the ultimate factor in fat loss, then please feel free to start your own thread in the debate section instead of trying to "fix" other peoples comments which didn't need any fixing or clarification.

Ouchie :)

• fitnessguy266
    Shirtless guy argument. Let me in on the action.

Behave sir :D
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member

does he have to?
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member

does he have to?

I hope not. It might mean putting on a shirt.
  • bmeadows380

does he have to?

I hope not. It might mean putting on a shirt.

well, if its a nice, stretchy, form fitting T-shirt......
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    psychod787 wrote: »
    Lyle McDonald speaks about caffeine being a stimulant and raising calorie burns by 100 calories a day or so. It also can have an appetite reducing effect in some people.

OP was drinking soda prior, I'd guess at least some of it was caffeinated. And we don't knowthey weren't drinking any coffee at all before, just that they drink more now.

I could see if someone went from no caffeine to a lot of caffeine the metabolic change could be a little noticable. But a 100 cal metabolic increase didn't make OP lose 20 lbs since Nov. It might have given a little boost. But there was without a doubt much more to it.

Yes, plenty of caffeinated beverages and coffee. 3-4 sodas a day, monster java, starbucks in a can, red bull, you name it and an occasional (maybe 2-3 per week) homemade coffee.

Well, when you cut 1500 calories a day out of your intake, yeah, you might just lose some weight. That's a lot of sugar.

*wavng at psychod787*

Waves back!
  • wwwtheselion11
    wwwtheselion11 Posts: 422 Member
    Coffee is just as bad as your soda. Best way to have your coffee is black. If you wanting to se faster results. Drinking more water will help. Cut back on your coffee. Have a 8 to 16,oz cup a day. One or two cups is all you really need. I know people who are drinking it all day. Thats not good. Water is so much better
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Coffee is just as bad as your soda. Best way to have your coffee is black. If you wanting to se faster results. Drinking more water will help. Cut back on your coffee. Have a 8 to 16,oz cup a day. One or two cups is all you really need. I know people who are drinking it all day. Thats not good. Water is so much better

Sometimes I put oat milk in my coffee. If I log the calories properly, how is this going to stop me from seeing the results that I want in a timely way?
  • BuiltLikeAPeep
    BuiltLikeAPeep Posts: 94 Member

Sometimes I put oat milk in my coffee. If I log the calories properly, how is this going to stop me from seeing the results that I want in a timely way?

I agree. I have been slowly cutting back on the amount of sugar I put in (down to about a tablespoon) and I only use about an ounce of skim milk (130 calories per 8 oz) or unsweetened almond milk (70 calories per 8 oz) so I don't see how that is as bad as soda.
  • bmeadows380

I use unsweetened cashew milk and have two 16 oz cups a day, sweetened with splenda or a splash of torino sugar free vanilla syrup. If I'm running low on protein for the day, I'll use 1% milk instead.

And coffee, unless you are loading it up with sugar and cream, is really flavored water, just like tea - the diuretics effect of both have been proven to not offset the hydration of the drink. And I know tea, even black tea, has what is it - flavanoids? - that are healthy; I think I've heard that coffee does as well? And I think both also have antioxidants, don't they? I know there's something healthy in tea, anyway!