Getting fit with poor health

I’m really struggling and looking for some encouragement from people who have managed to get fit despite their health not allowing for quick progress.

Every time I start a fitness program I start off strong and then I get sick and lose all my progress.

I’m beginning to think that my body is just not healthy enough where I can push it as far as my mind thinks that I need to.

So I guess I need to build up my fitness slowly so I don’t make myself sick again. It’s a bit discouraging because I’ve had so many set backs that I can’t just fight through and I’d really like to be able to get stronger and stay stronger.

Has anyone reading this had similar struggles? What are your tips for someone that is discouraged by frequent sickness interfering with pushing as hard as I’d like to with my workouts? I feel pathetic to be this young (I’m 28) and struggle this much.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    sarahrh1 wrote: »
    I’m really struggling and looking for some encouragement from people who have managed to get fit despite their health not allowing for quick progress.

Every time I start a fitness program I start off strong and then I get sick and lose all my progress.

I’m beginning to think that my body is just not healthy enough where I can push it as far as my mind thinks that I need to.

So I guess I need to build up my fitness slowly so I don’t make myself sick again. It’s a bit discouraging because I’ve had so many set backs that I can’t just fight through and I’d really like to be able to get stronger and stay stronger.

Has anyone reading this had similar struggles? What are your tips for someone that is discouraged by frequent sickness interfering with pushing as hard as I’d like to with my workouts? I feel pathetic to be this young (I’m 28) and struggle this much.

Fitness is something that is built over time for everyone. Building up fitness isn't fast...it is slow for everyone. You shouldn't be pushing your fitness limits out of the gate...you have to build up. Even fit people don't push the limits of their fitness all the time because it's a *kitten* way to train.
  • sarahrh1
    sarahrh1 Posts: 10 Member
    I’m working on getting stronger. I’m 5’7” and 140 and I’m not overly concerned about losing too much weight so I’m on a mild deficit.

But for an example of workouts, I had started doing nerd fitness’ body weight workout for beginners this last time.

I don’t have an official diagnosis. I just get sick insanely easily. Colds, ear infections, body aches and fevers. Once, I had gotten farther than I usually do in building my fitness, I had hit personal records for running/push ups, that kind of thing and one day I was just really weak. Pulse of about 40 (which is much lower than my normal resting) and I suddenly couldn’t do my workouts and I rapidly lost the strength I had gained while still trying to keep it up.

I realize as I’m saying this last thing it sounds like something is actually wrong with me but I went to the doctor shortly afterwards and she was basically like, “your heart rate was just slower because you were more fit” and there was nothing wrong with me.
  • sarahrh1
    I don’t have super specific goals but I’d like to be able to run a few miles and do 20 push-ups and a couple pull ups and that kind of thing. So my work outs usually mirror that or are more focused on strength building/lifting weights. At this point it’s mostly body weight and some light free weights that I use when I work out. But I’m not working out right now, I just got over a sinus infection and I’d like to start trying again now that I’m feeling better.
  • mi_nina_lola
    mi_nina_lola Posts: 767 Member
    sarahrh1 wrote: »
    I’m working on getting stronger. I’m 5’7” and 140 and I’m not overly concerned about losing too much weight so I’m on a mild deficit.

But for an example of workouts, I had started doing nerd fitness’ body weight workout for beginners this last time.

I don’t have an official diagnosis. I just get sick insanely easily. Colds, ear infections, body aches and fevers. Once, I had gotten farther than I usually do in building my fitness, I had hit personal records for running/push ups, that kind of thing and one day I was just really weak. Pulse of about 40 (which is much lower than my normal resting) and I suddenly couldn’t do my workouts and I rapidly lost the strength I had gained while still trying to keep it up.

I realize as I’m saying this last thing it sounds like something is actually wrong with me but I went to the doctor shortly afterwards and she was basically like, “your heart rate was just slower because you were more fit” and there was nothing wrong with me.

i would be remiss if i didn't reply to this post. have you had a full blood work done lately? i would request one regarding your immunoglobulins and lymphocyte count. if you get sick this easily - there could be something underlying which you're not aware of. i hope you get some answers. <3
  • ActionRZ
    ActionRZ Posts: 134 Member
    I can relate, I have allergies and get ear infections easily. And recently foot injury but I still try to get as much exercise as I can especially at my age. It definitely helps. The hardest part for me is getting out when not feeling well but once I am, I do tend to feel better. My advice is just keep pushing it. Once it warms up my goal this year is getting out much more often, especially in nature. Even though I have allergies (including seasonal), it is the best way to over come it. Fresh air also does wonders. I’m almost at my goal weight so will be focusing on endurance both physical and mental
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,539 Member
    I'm disabled from back problems and nerve injuries from the waist down and had/have a bunch of health problems. I'm diabetic and was randomly throwing up and having bad pain from fatty liver disease when I started losing weight. Starting slow and easing into workouts helped, walking in the pool then 10 minutes on my exercise bike last January. I second seeing a doctor. Listening to your body is important too and if you feel like working out is weakening you perhaps more rest days and shorter workouts would be beneficial. I've built up to the stair treadmill, bike, weights, body weight exercises like planks and push ups, and yoga. I also try to get as many vitamins and minerals as I can through food.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Since you are already a healthy weight for your height, I’d go back to eating at maintenance while you work in your fitness goals. Then pick one goal at a time. If it’s running, start by building a good walking base then choose a good beginner running program like couch to 5k. If it’s pushups, try the hundred pushups training program. Whatever you choose to focus on first, start with a beginner program. I personally like programs with measurable goals and routine. But everyone is different.

Like someone else suggested, a trip to the doctor is advised. I have allergies and asthma. So I keep prevtantative medication on hand. I also have strategies that have worked for me with colder weather or high pollen counts which can trigger me.
  • I'm 22 and have EDS, POTS, Dysautonmia, arthritis in my spine, wrists, and ankles and constantly dislocating and pulling things whenever I workout because of the EDS so yeah I feel that. I try to push myself but also listen to my body and not push it past a point and if I need to rest for a week then I rest for a week. Unfortunately I'm chronically ill and physically disabled and fighting it or feeling sad about it just makes it worse. Best thing I've done is just come to terms with it and take care of myself the best I can. Losing weight is part of that because any added weight on my joints is really bad on my knees, ankles, joints in general so I'm doing the best I can with what I got.
  • shrinkingweez
    shrinkingweez Posts: 25 Member
    I used to get colds at the drop of a hat, and it would be guaranteed that every time I started going to the gym I’d have one within 2 weeks and end up sick for about a month. Rinse and repeat. I started taking a vitamin c tablet each morning, and being extra religious about antibacterial handwash after using gym equipment and I have only had one cold so far since.
  • sarahrh1
    Thank you everyone for your input.

I did decide to go ahead and make an appointment with my doctor and hopefully we can figure out what’s going on.

In the meantime, I’ve set my calories to maintenance for now and I’m just going to try to focus on doing a little tiny bit more and seeing if maybe I can make better improvements if I’m not trying to drop my weight at the same time.
  • vampirequeen1959
    vampirequeen1959 Posts: 196 Member
    Gyms can be very unhealthy places. Not everyone has good hygiene practices so you have to be even more careful with your own. Antibacterial gel and wipes a good place to start. There is nothing wrong with wiping the handgrips on a piece of equipment before you use it. After all you don't know who was on it before you arrived. My mam (85 years old and a gym regular) caught C.Diff last year and was really ill. She probably touched something that had the bacteria on it. Now she wipes things or her personal trainer (yes she has one) does.
  • cherys
    cherys Posts: 387 Member
    I came on to say similar to @vampirequeen1959. You may need to look at your hygiene habits since you seem to be picking up so many illnesses. If you use public transport in winter, wear gloves. Pressing buttons and touching handrails touched by thousands of people every day is an easy way to pick up infections. Use First Defense every day in winter before commute/work. Carry antibac gel and wipes and use them often. Wipe down gym equipment before use. Gel your hands after use of equipment. Always wash or gel your hands before eating and wash them thoroughly as soon as you get in from work, so you're not transmitting possible viral and bacterial infections onto light switches and door handles etc.