Introduce Yourself & Frequently Asked Questions

Replies

• TinaJija
    TinaJija Posts: 15 Member
    @amskinner87

Thank you for your kind words, congratulations on the 60 lb that takes dedication.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,129 Member
    Welcome @Bodyinbalance
  • shapealer
    shapealer Posts: 37 Member
    turning 66 next month and everything hurts esp. knees and feet. Hope to drop 30 lbs to help myself feel better. currently 184 but started at 188 so its a start..just joined 2 weeks ago..wish me luck..
  • tinkerbellang83
    Welcome @shapealer
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,161 Member
    shapealer wrote: »
    ...everything hurts esp. knees and feet. Hope to drop 30 lbs to help myself feel better...so its a start
    Ouch, sorry to hear that @shapealer I think you have good plan to make yourself feel better. I found doing a weekly weigh-in here keeps me on track, hope it works for you too.
  • shapealer
    shapealer Posts: 37 Member
    thanks chris..yes am planning to do a weekly ...do you guys all do it on a certain day?
  • tinkerbellang83
    shapealer wrote: »
    thanks chris..yes am planning to do a weekly ...do you guys all do it on a certain day?

All different days, there's a thread for each week, you just pop your weigh in on the relevant week, at the end of the month I do a progress report.
  • PositiveVibes777
    PositiveVibes777 Posts: 22 Member
    Hey everyone. I'm just an ordinary big girl lol who wants to lose some pounds. I'm quite tall so I don't look that big, unfortunately my face and the number on the scale tells a different story haha. I am just a few pounds away from being overweight, currently in my normal BMI. I want to achieve my ideal weight.

I have been going on and off my journey and honestly that has demotivated me even more. But I hope and pray that this time I actually achieve my goals and that my hard work pays off.

I am still a beginner, so I try to workout at least six days of the week, for at least 40 mins.

I hope we all succeed and become the strong versions of ourselves that we aim to become 💪❤️
  • chris_in_cal
    Hey @PositiveVibes777 your plan sound solid... I am old, a very hard lesson I'm learning is I can not out exercise a bad diet. In my youth, a week or two of pounding it and I was back to feeling fit. Regardless of how much I consumed.

My body stopped working that way in my late 30s to early 40s. Some long term weight loss people on the net, and some of my own experience tell me that the path for me is eating healthfully (whatever that means) to be at a most healthful weight.

Exercise will then be easier on my body, and is still great for cardiovascular, longevity, mental health, social well being, all kinds of things. I love what happens when I exercise a lot. Now that I'm old one thing that does not automatically happen is losing weight. That takes control of what I shove in my mouth.

MFP is a GREAT tool to learn about how much, and what types, of things I eat. I hope it helps you too.

Welcome.
  • PositiveVibes777
    PositiveVibes777 Posts: 22 Member
    Hey @PositiveVibes777 your plan sound solid... I am old, a very hard lesson I'm learning is I can not out exercise a bad diet. In my youth, a week or two of pounding it and I was back to feeling fit. Regardless of how much I consumed.

My body stopped working that way in my late 30s to early 40s. Some long term weight loss people on the net, and some of my own experience tell me that the path for me is eating healthfully (whatever that means) to be at a most healthful weight.

Exercise will then be easier on my body, and is still great for cardiovascular, longevity, mental health, social well being, all kinds of things. I love what happens when I exercise a lot. Now that I'm old one thing that does not automatically happen is losing weight. That takes control of what I shove in my mouth.

MFP is a GREAT tool to learn about how much, and what types, of things I eat. I hope it helps you too.

Welcome.

I agree. Clean eating and exercise should go side-by-side in order to maintain a healthy lifestyle. I hope you achieve your goals and wish you health and happiness. 😊
  • tinkerbellang83
    edited January 2021
    I'm Beth. Weighed in at 205lb this morning and beginning calorie counting today, hoping to eventually lose around 60lb. I'm also postpartum, breastfeeding a 2 month old.

I have done this before, so I know I can do it, but the first few days are always rough as my body adjusts to a lower calorie intake and I break bad eating habits. Breakfast was an hour ago and I'm already starving. I know that 2 weeks from now I will be able to eat the same breakfast and be totally fine for 4-5 hours, but right now it's hard. 🤨 Does anyone have tips to make the transition easier? I'm trying to drink more water, not sure what else?

If you are breastfeeding set yourself to Maintenance, your breastfeeding already creates a deficit and dropping calories too low can affect your milk supply. It's also pretty exhausting being a new mum so better not to be trying to lose weight too aggresively.

There's a thread somewhere for breastfeeding mums re weight loss, I will try and find it and post it.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10176233/gaining-weight-during-pregnancy-and-losing-it-post-partum
  • tinkerbellang83
    Yes, I know that. I have manually adjusted my calorie goal well above what the app recommends because I know it was too low for me. This is baby #5 and I have lost weight while breastfeeding before. It's just the first few days that are particularly hard when I go from eating unhealthy and gaining weight to forming new habits to start losing.

That's great, I guess don't feel like you have to make big drastic changes, weight loss is down to how much you eat, not what you eat. Maybe just focus on logging accurately for the first few days, even if you go a little over and make small changes as you go to get you to your calorie goal and then work on nutrition once you're settled into it for satiety and health.
  • kimberley_monti
    kimberley_monti Posts: 2 Member
    Hi there.
    I’m new to using My Fitness Pal in this way and I’m hoping it’ll help keep me on track. I want to lose about 20-25kg. My current weight is 91kg. My biggest problem is mental. I find accountability and consistency are my big struggles.
  • tinkerbellang83
    Hi there.
    I’m new to using My Fitness Pal in this way and I’m hoping it’ll help keep me on track. I want to lose about 20-25kg. My current weight is 91kg. My biggest problem is mental. I find accountability and consistency are my big struggles.

Welcome. Perhaps just commit to logging accurately for a couple of days and slowly ease into eating at a deficit. Don't automatically set yourself to 1kg per week for the fastest loss, it is fine for some people who have as much to lose but not sustainable for everyone. 0.5kg or 0.75 kg per week would still have you losing the majority of your weight by this time next year and it might help you stay the course longer if you have a few more calories to play with.

Also consider setting yourself some non-scale goals such as fitness, nutrition or wellbeing that support your plan so you can see progress even at times when the scale doesn't show it, it can help with motivation.

• skctilidie
    skctilidie Posts: 1,405 Member
    Hey, I'm Michelle. I used mfp extensively back in 2018 and lost just under 40 pounds, then decided to take a year or so to practice maintenance before working on losing the last 20-30 that I wanted to lose. I did well for a while, but then between a job change in late 2019 that drastically dropped my activity level at work (went from ICU nursing to being a nurse case manager, which means instead of running around all day, I'm trapped at a computer or in the car for almost all of my working hours) while increasing my average number of hours worked per week and then all the life changes thanks to covid, that year turned into more like 18 months and all but 10 of those pounds crept back on over the course of 2020. Yikes!

I got my mindset serious again a few weeks ago and at this point, I am exactly 20 pounds over where I was when I decided to try maintaining. Time to get rid of that 20 for good, and then set my mind to also saying goodbye to that other 20-30. Always glad to have new friends for shared support/accountability!
  • BeefStew85
    BeefStew85 Posts: 16 Member
    Hi! I am Becky. 2 years ago, I got serious about losing weight and was on track for great results. A surprise pregnancy (2019), car accident and just all of 2020, have me almost back to were I started. My long term weight loss is to lose a 135 pounds, but this years goal is 50 pounds, but at the minimum 35 pounds. I try to set smaller weekly/monthly goals, which helped me greatly last time!
  • jwills9082
    jwills9082 Posts: 16 Member
    Hi there . I’m jayne, I’m a busy working mum and seem to have no time but I know I must make time for myself. I used to before the first lockdown, when the gyms were open ( my go to) . I’ve been onWeight Watchers for about 4 years . I lost weight and maintained quite well , Christmas and holidays are my weakness! Lol
    I’ve put half a stone on over Christmas and I feel I need to focus more on what I’m putting in my body and how to fuel it, trying to move more and sticking to some sort of plan . But mostly I want to tone up, get fit and feel healthy again. I’m only 5 ft so half a stone feels a lot more. If anyone has any tips or advise please feel free to chat.
  • chris_in_cal
    Hi there . I’m jayne ... If anyone has any tips or advise please feel free to chat.

Hi Jayne, Welcome. Folks here will give tips and advise, sure, this place more than anything else is where the rock solid consistent folks have found a home. Non-judgmental, and show up, is kind of how this group rolls. It was what i needed, and I'm glad I found it. Good luck, and look forward to see you around.

• mehlsf
    mehlsf Posts: 11 Member
    Hi, I'm Michelle. I used to log my weight in this forum some years ago...then stopped MFP and gained more weight! The last month or so I started WW 2-week trial but prefer MFP and have done that last two... I've lost 5lbs in total and feel super-motivated. Looking forward to logging again with this group! I feel like I've had a 158lb wall over the past years and I am going to bust it!
  • tinkerbellang83
    mehlsf wrote: »
    Hi, I'm Michelle. I used to log my weight in this forum some years ago...then stopped MFP and gained more weight! The last month or so I started WW 2-week trial but prefer MFP and have done that last two... I've lost 5lbs in total and feel super-motivated. Looking forward to logging again with this group! I feel like I've had a 158lb wall over the past years and I am going to bust it!

Welcome back!