Barbell "Form check"(e.g., Squats, Deadlift, Benching, Presses)

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Erik8484 wrote: »
    In the interests of keeping you busy (and helping my squat), would you mind providing comments on my squat? These clips are of 2 reps @ about 91% of my 1rm, and 5 reps @ about 84% of my 1rm.

I don't think it's too bad in these videos, but I feel like you can see the bar glide forward over my toes as I hit depth (particularly in the side on video), and I feel the weight shift onto my toes from time to time (particularly as I fatigue), but I'm not sure how to fix it.

https://youtu.be/KhMl0fDyRkE
    https://youtu.be/hqG6i0c4Cbs

At those percentages/rep range of 1RM I would hazard it's exactly what you mentioned fatigue of the set at near maximal intensity which is going to happen. It appears you just lose a tad of tightness right before depth in the hole. I would like to see a view directly from the front to rule out one thing when you revisit the near same RPE.

It's certainly nothing out of the ordinary considering the intensity relative to your 1RM and some great reps regardless.
  • Erik8484
    Erik8484 Posts: 458 Member
    Thanks Chief, and I'll look into getting a front view at some point.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    Just want to see if I'm seeing the right issues, @chieflrg. RPE 8, 3x1. This is the third set.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZK5KO6cj5E
  • Chieflrg
    edited September 2019
    Just want to see if I'm seeing the right issues, @chieflrg. RPE 8, 3x1. This is the third set.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZK5KO6cj5E

Hip height much more improved and knees staying still.

The only thing I would watch is over extending the back at lockout. Typically this will causes soft knees and could get yah a red light with the national judges in particular. Cue: Stand tall

Add the patience of holding your back angle in the first part of the lift like you did here and added practice I have a specific number you will pull on game day.

Very good third pull!

• Chieflrg
    Erik8484 wrote: »
    Thanks Chief, and I'll look into getting a front view at some point.

If you would, include the set up/unrack from front and side. It would help check off what options to correct.
  • quiksylver296
    edited February 2020
    RPE 10 squat at 300 lbs (40 lb PR!!!). What do you think about the "folding in" of my upper body as I am in the upward movement, @Chieflrg? My coach is trying to train it out of me, but it always shows up at higher RPEs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd2_ZfcCDNI
  • Chieflrg
    edited February 2020
    RPE 10 squat at 300 lbs (40 lb PR!!!). What do you think about the "folding in" of my upper body as I am in the upward movement, @Chieflrg? My coach is trying to train it out of me, but it always shows up at higher RPEs.

First congrats on PR! 👍

Yeah, looks like your dive bombing a bit there and more than likely loosing tightness in the back or balance and falling onto your toes as the weight pulls you forward. It's has more to do where the barbell ends up entering the hole and just leaves you in a less optimal position.

I think 3-0-3 tempo and/or SSB could be very useful variations in this situation if programmed well.

What strategy is/has coach implimenting to "train it out" if you don't mind saying?

• Abs_magee89
    Abs_magee89 Posts: 127 Member
    edited February 2020
    Do trap bar deadlifts count for this thread? And excuse my newbness but how do I post a video? Would just the URL work? Or is there a code?
  • Chieflrg
    Do trap bar deadlifts count for this thread? And excuse my newbness but how do I post a video? Would just the URL work? Or is there a code?

Yes, any variations of deadlift, squats, and presses. Following the guidelines on initial post will be useful info for critiques purposes.

Just copy the URL/link of YouTube, Instagram, etc... and paste.
  • quiksylver296
    edited February 2020
    Chieflrg wrote: »

First congrats on PR! 👍

Yeah, looks like your dive bombing a bit there and more than likely loosing tightness in the back or balance and falling onto your toes as the weight pulls you forward. It's has more to do where the barbell ends up entering the hole and just leaves you in a less optimal position.

I think 3-0-3 tempo and/or SSB could be very useful variations in this situation if programmed well.

What strategy is/has coach implimenting to "train it out" if you don't mind saying?

Hatfields and belt squats in this last training cycle, with some tempo on the belt. I didn't do any barbell squats since Nationals, and set this PR.

I have done a lot of SSB in past cycles, as well.

I do try to stay off my toes by doing "monkey toes". I can't remember if I moved up onto my toes on this one, or not.
  • Chieflrg

First congrats on PR! 👍

Hatfields and belt squats in this last training cycle, with some tempo on the belt. I didn't do any barbell squats since Nationals, and set this PR.

I do try to stay off my toes by doing "monkey toes". I can't remember if I moved up onto my toes on this one, or not.

I see.

By "monkey toes" is that another term for "rooting"- grabbing the ground?

Being it RPE 10, we except that things happen. Hence why I prefer multiple reps or singles <= RPE8 as they are more of a indicator of what adjustments might be needed.

You had decent drive for the exertion. Well did.

• quiksylver296
    edited February 2020

First congrats on PR! 👍

I see.

By "monkey toes" is that another term for "rooting"- grabbing the ground?

Being it RPE 10, we except that things happen. Hence why I prefer multiple reps or singles <= RPE8 as they are more of a indicator of what adjustments might be needed.

You had decent drive for the exertion. Well did.

Yeah.

And thanks (I kinda wish I'd've tried for three wheels). :)

I haven't done multiple reps of barbell squats lately. I'll have to remember to grab a video next time I do.
  • Chieflrg

Yeah these look solid.

Some very slight break down at the end which wouldn't concern me with fatigue build up in that set.

If I was to get nitpicky, I would suggest to pause ever so more slightly longer on the floor the first cluster of reps, but that is splitting hairs.

Good set and keep up the good work!
    👏👏👏
  • Abs_magee89
    Abs_magee89 Posts: 127 Member

Yeah these look solid.

Some very slight break down at the end which wouldn't concern me with fatigue build up in that set.

If I was to get nitpicky, I would suggest to pause ever so more slightly longer on the floor the first cluster of reps, but that is splitting hairs.

👏👏👏
    Thank you! So you are saying to pause when I reach the floor? Like, Wait before I pick it up again?
  • Chieflrg
    edited February 2020

Yeah these look solid.

👏👏👏
    Thank you! So you are saying to pause when I reach the floor? Like, Wait before I pick it up again?

Yes. Otherwise you "might" be rebounding off the floor. I am not certain that is what you are doing at all entirely from this video but I suspect it is a possibility on a couple reps from the sound.

It literally would ensure you are pulling from a dead stop which is the point of the lift.

Once again it is just polishing up a very solid lift if anything.

Good luck with your training!
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    edited February 2020
    Hi Friends.

These are from my final day of a beginner 8-week program. The cable crunches aren’t a part of the program but regular crunches (3 sets, 10-12 reps) are and I don’t find them to be as effective as cable crunches. My core is fairly strong due to pole, but I would like to get it stronger. Any other ab exercise recommendations would be appreciated.

Squat: working sets: 4, 10 reps, RPE 8. This video is set 3.

Hip thrusts: working sets: 3, 14 reps, RPE 8. This video is set 2.

Cable crunch: working sets: 3. 25 reps, RPE: 9, 9, 10. This is set 2.

• Chieflrg
    jdhcm2006 wrote: »
    Hi Friends.

These are from my final day of a beginner 8-week program. The cable crunches aren’t a part of the program but regular crunches (3 sets, 10-12 reps) are and I don’t find them to be as effective as cable crunches. My core is fairly strong due to pole, but I would like to get it stronger. Any other ab exercise recommendations would be appreciated.

Squat: working sets: 4, 10 reps, RPE 8. This video is set 3.

Hip thrusts: working sets: 3, 14 reps, RPE 8. This video is set 2.

Cable crunch: working sets: 3. 25 reps, RPE: 9, 9, 10. This is set 2.

Good looking squat 👍.

1. It appears you are not hitting parallel by three inches or so. Sometimes the camera height recording exaggerate this to a point, but I don't feel this is the case here. Full ROM is beneficial for long-term progress.

One thing I have my lifters do in this situation is squat to a box or stacked bumper plates that signals parallel to lifter so they can "feel" proper depth. The idea is to touch with your hamstring/glutes and not actually sit on the box. This means we might have to take weight off the barbell which is fine when we're thinking long-term progress. This also means we will be utilizing more glutes, hip, and hamstring muscle motors. So don't be surprised if you experience DOMS 😀.

2. It's hard to tell with you're loose clothing but it appears your shoulders are rolling forward and then you reset them at the top. This usually is because the upper back loses tightness. You might try moving your hands in closer. Perhaps where you adjusted just before you went to re-rack. We can also try "pinning" our elbows to our rib cage while locking lats 🔽to our torso. Get tight from hands squeeze all the way down your back. Think "RIGID". Play around with one thing at a time and see if anything helps.

HIP THRUST

Hip thrust have a limited ROM when performed properly. You have the top portion looking pretty good. Particularly the back extension without overly extending.

1. Maybe a hold at the top contracting glutes would be my first suggestion.
    2. I also like you to use full ROM which means allowing the barbell to reset on floor for each rep. This like the squat might mean lowering the intensity which isn't a bad thing if we hit RPE as dosed.
    3. I might suggest trying to move your feet a inch closer in towards you and see how that feels. See if it helps keep your feet more steady through the concentric portion of the lift.

All in all I see great things you are doing 👏👏👏. I hope some my suggestions work for you and are helpful. I'd love to see vids of your progress.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Thank you! I will definitely work on getting my squat to parallel. I don't feel like my shoulders are rolling forward, but that doesn't mean it isn't happening. Thank you for the input. What would be the best breathing technique during squats, deadlifts, and hip thrusts?
  • Chieflrg
    jdhcm2006 wrote: »
    Thank you! I will definitely work on getting my squat to parallel. I don't feel like my shoulders are rolling forward, but that doesn't mean it isn't happening. Thank you for the input. What would be the best breathing technique during squats, deadlifts, and hip thrusts?

Valsalva maneuver.

When I teach this technique I prefer to cue "take a breath into the belly not chest". This is obviously impossible, but the cue gets the result we want effectively in most cases.

When we take the breath we contract the surrounding muscles around our entire torso(e.g., abdominals, side obliques, extenders) and perform the lift.

Particularly on the squat and hip thrust I also prefer to cue "lock the rib cage down over abs". Much like we would instinctively do if someone was to strike us in the stomach.