Replies

• Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    @Tramboman 66 or 69

Sorry...
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    edited February 2020
    Trail Marathon or road Marathon, which would you pick?
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,454 Member
    LoveyChar wrote: »

It's not even close for me. Trail.
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,684 Member
    shanaber wrote: »
    March Challenge has been posted here. Come and join us for a another great month of running and fun!
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10787092/march-2020-monthly-running-challenge/p1?new=1

Thanks @shanaber!
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    @autumnblade75 it sounds like you're dialing in your limit, which is good. Did you have calories from anything other than Kool-Aid?
    When you ingest more carbs in your gut than your body can process, it sits there and waits. Eat more carbs, more volume in your stomach waiting. You start feeling full, upset stomach, and uncomfortable. In some cases you get stomach cramps or want to vomit. It's different for each runner, but that's generally how it goes.
    Yes, you definitely want to err on the side of caution.

Because you generally run slower during your long training runs, you don't burn as much glycogen as you do during the actual race. The only time I want to run "fully fueled" in a training run is when I'm testing my nutrition strategy. otherwise, fasted or half fueled (or half-assed...I usually don't plan it out) is fine with me. The less fuel I use during a training run, the better, because it trains my body to burn more fat, and more importantly, it saves the calorie burn for beer and real food after the run. I'll bring gels or energy bars with me on a long run, but I only eat them if I'm really slogging it.

One thing I forgot to mention earlier. During the race, because you'll never be able to take in enough carbs to replenish the glycogen you burn, start taking it in before the race. The number I've seen is the quickest your body can use the carbs is 30 minutes from when you eat. For that reason, for a race I start my carb intake about 15 minutes before the race and stop about 45 to 60 minutes before the end of the race.

I don't really like to eat while running, so it was just the Kool-Aid.

I know I'm *supposed* to run slower on my long training runs than I intend to do in the race, but I'm not sure I've ever carried it out in practice.

I wasn't really planning on taking water for the last 45 minutes of the race, but today's run was certainly an indication that I'll want hydration without fuel Just In Case I overload the system with sugar. No point in extra dehydration for failing to plan ahead. I'm already concerned that maybe I'm not replacing enough fluids. The race is likely to be cooler than my living room, though, so I *should* sweat less...

• autumnblade75
    @autumnblade75 I have had the same problem. I was ALWAYS running all of my runs fasted, including the saturday long run.

Until it stopped working - I think around the time I hit twelve or thirteen miles for a long run and it was brutal. I experimented with a few things but I landed on these gels that I really like. I splurged and bought a bunch of them in bulk. Now, I have a closet full of gels. They have the exact amount of water, glucose, and sodium needed for refueling every ninety or so minutes. They seem to work well for me, but at the end of my eighteen mile run, there was nothing like plain, pure WATER.

In any event - you should be proud of yourself for being so committed.

I have never had an issue with running half marathons fasted before. I can't swear my memory is 100% correct to say that up to 18 miles was ok without paying any attention to fuel, the last time I was involved in training for 26.2, but that's what sticks in my brain.

Committed, huh? I should probably be committed, all right...
  • bearly63
    bearly63 Posts: 734 Member
    @LoveyChar
    Ok.....she is adorable! She is built to run for sure! The winning part - just showing up. It's a sport you can pursue for life so tell her to keep going.....I am thinking there may be a family marathon in your future!!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member

It's not even close for me. Trail.

Agree.
  • autumnblade75

I am 100% a Road Marathon Runner. Some of the "trail" races around here are on paved paths through the forest preserves. I will happily run those. I have learned my lesson about *actual* trail races, though. I don't really enjoy them.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,626 Member
    My kid, smallest kid in the 7th grade, 1% on height charts 2% in weight, ran the 200 M run last night and came in last place. I'm trying to teach her it's not about winning (and I am NOT the "everybody gets a trophy mom"). (Adding...yes, I know it's really about winning but I'm at a loss as to what to say to her). She told me she wants to start running with me. Endurance running might become her best friend and joy. I would have been proud of her if she fell on her face, though. I'm glad she likes running but happier that band and academics are top for her. I'm going to get her into some smaller races outside of school.
    j3m04rpjfuaa.jpg

I lead by example - ie, I never win any of the races I enter. I tell my girls it’s about running your best race and finishing feeling like you couldn’t have run any faster. Some people are naturally faster, and when you’re a kid, some are older and bigger, others train more. Some things you can’t do anything about, other things - like training - you can.

She looks happy though, and that’s the best bit.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member

I also would like to buy some running shorts, but I don't know what I like. I have some cute nike ones that are SO comfortable, but I don't know if they're too short and they fit as tight as leggings do, but they're shorts. I feel like I should get some that are more loose-fitting. I also want pockets. Lots and lots of pockets.

Oiselle long pocket joggers.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    My kid, smallest kid in the 7th grade, 1% on height charts 2% in weight, ran the 200 M run last night and came in last place. I'm trying to teach her it's not about winning (and I am NOT the "everybody gets a trophy mom"). (Adding...yes, I know it's really about winning but I'm at a loss as to what to say to her). She told me she wants to start running with me. Endurance running might become her best friend and joy. I would have been proud of her if she fell on her face, though. I'm glad she likes running but happier that band and academics are top for her. I'm going to get her into some smaller races outside of school.
    j3m04rpjfuaa.jpg
    Thing is, it doesn't have to be about winning. It can be about LOTS of things: getting better, seeing what your body can do, being healthy, having fun, endorphins!, making friends (OR getting alone time!), being out in nature... the list goes on. I frequently talk to my kids about "winning for me", which means meeting my goals that I had for that race. If I have a chance at getting on the podium, doing my best to get there would be part of that, but let's face it - if winning is the whole point, there should only be about 10 people in the whole race, and I'm not one of them.

All of this. There is so much difference between winning and participation trophy (although as an adult I love my medals LOL but I also understand why I am running, besides getting a cool medal at the end).
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,373 Member
    B for Beer is my vote, if you're asking. ;)

@Camaramandy648 Unfortunately I just found out that the trail in option B is solid ice right now. It looks like I'm going with C. Still should be good. Maybe I'll stop at a donut shop or two for my nutrition so I don't have to carry as much.

@7lenny7 you can always, always stop for a doughnut!

I wanted a doughnut so bad this morning, but I have noticed that what I consume HUGELY affects how I feel, so no doughnut for me. :(

@Camaramandy648 now I'm getting excited about my run tomorrow. I tweaked my route to run by three donut shops. It's going to be a DONUT RUN!

Love this!! 🍩🍩🍩🏃‍♂️🍻
    I add a beer for after you are all finished, hungry and need something for recovery, you're welcome 😁
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,373 Member

I also would like to buy some running shorts, but I don't know what I like. I have some cute nike ones that are SO comfortable, but I don't know if they're too short and they fit as tight as leggings do, but they're shorts. I feel like I should get some that are more loose-fitting. I also want pockets. Lots and lots of pockets.

Oiselle long pocket joggers.

I second this or if you want loose shorts instead of compression, I like the Oiselle Long Roga Shorts (only 2 pockets but the back one is big enough for my iPhone) or the Toolbelt Roga Shorts with an all around mesh pocket waist band.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Hrm. They are calling for 30mph winds tomorrow... not sure about my long run. Unless I can get a big sail maybe...
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,454 Member
    Hrm. They are calling for 30mph winds tomorrow... not sure about my long run. Unless I can get a big sail maybe...

I have one you can borrow. Do you want a main or a jib?