60 yrs and up

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member
    I'm in the palm of Michigan's "mitten" in the US. It's 20 degrees F right now, and the wind was strong and bitter when I was out running errands this afternoon . . . I'm pretty grateful that I don't feel colder since losing weight, as it doe get kinda cold here in the Winter sometimes. :)

Best wishes to all, healing to those fighting off illness or dealing with injuries and limitations, and happy weekend!
  • bethe
    bethe Posts: 79 Member
    Lol. I live in South Texas, and am a true hot house flower. I've not walked the last two days because the temps with wind chill was in the 30's. Warmed up this afternoon, but I was busy dealing with a busticated clothes dryer. Have to go buy a new one tomorrow, darn it.
  • AnnPT77
    bethe wrote: »
    Lol. I live in South Texas, and am a true hot house flower. I've not walked the last two days because the temps with wind chill was in the 30's. Warmed up this afternoon, but I was busy dealing with a busticated clothes dryer. Have to go buy a new one tomorrow, darn it.

Oh, man: I empathize. My dryer's on the fritz, too. I just dried a whole load of whites on "toss in room temp air for hours", because that's all I've got right now . . . I don't have an outdoor clothesline where I can freeze-dry clothes in Winter like mama did. ;) I see a new dryer on my horizon, too.

Such a pain dealing with appliance deliveries at my place in Winter, too: We have about 4" of snow right now, I think more on the way, and appliances need to be carted up to the 2nd floor. In summer, they prefer to use the outside stairs to the 2nd floor deck (weird house), because the indoor stairs have a turn in them. Not as viable when everything is snow-covered and slippery. Hoping for a timely thaw! :lol:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,901 Member
    Evamutt wrote: »
    We live in central California, I dread the summer at 100+

:) Before we moved to NW WA 15 years ago, we lived in Anderson, CA (south of Redding). I remember that I walked the dog in the very early morning and otherwise left the house only in my air conditioned car to go to air conditioned stores. You have a huge challenge this summer.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • teresadannar
    teresadannar Posts: 199 Member
    I live in Kansas City MO and it's started at 29 this morning. It's supposed to hit the 60's this weekend and I cannot wait!!!
  • lynnchristy
    lynnchristy Posts: 75 Member
    Good morning 60 & uppers :) Feeling much better today so I'm guessing the storm is at its end B) I am somewhat of a barometer with fibromyalgia... I hardly need to listen to the weather LOL

RCPV and barbiecat, thank you both for your kind words and thoughts (((hugs)))

Evamutt, hello and welcome :) My sister lived in Desert Hot Springs for 4 years and the 5 months of 3 digit weather drove her out of CA. Bless your heart <3

AnnPT77, I am also a Michigander :D I am up here in God's country near Traverse City. I hope you are able to get your dryer fixed soon, that is a drag. Thanks for your healing wishes, it worked :)

bethe, I didn't realize you are from the Texas LOL (Did you see the Frisco Kid?) I hope you get that darn busticated dryer situation solved soon (((hug)))

barbiecat, I am sure your NW WA location is much better for you in the Summer ;)

teresadannar, Aren't you fortunate to live in Kansas City, MO ;) 60 would be nice now here in MI. I said to my husband a couple weeks ago that we should move to MO.

Have a blessed day everyone :)

Shout out to all my wonderful friends <3
  • n2gardens56
    n2gardens56 Posts: 74 Member
    Welcome to all newcomers!! I have read so many recent comments that hit home with me and thank each of you. I am still struggling to keep 5-7 consecutive days together and keep it near my 1200 cal goal. I get home from work (we work 10 hr days) and the stress levels are so high, I skip common sense and go for treats, of which I do not keep many here, but I have kept raisins and I will sit and eat raisins and choc chips until I calm down. Then I will need something to counter it so I hit the cheese! There are some days when I get control and go do a weight workout or yoga and calm down, but those days are rare, usually I can make it Mon or Tues but blow it Wed & Thurs. I have Friday off, so I am back on check for Fri, Sat & Sun. Do lots of exercise, yoga, weights, hiking, walking, eat pretty on target and then the week starts back. I started the month weighing 161 went up to 164 back to 162 and 161. My goal is to lose 20 lbs by mid-May for a trip to Italy (my first overseas trip ever!), but at this rate, I will not make it. I have found the strength in the past to stick to MFP and lose the weight, many times and then many times slowly let it creep back up, but this time I am having more trouble sticking to it. I joined this group to help with the motivation. It does help...but got to somehow find the willpower. (oh and no more purchasing raisins at the store, slowing eliminating any binge foods from the house). I will buy carrot sticks etc to snack on!!!

@getthebabeback really liked the article, sometimes it is good to see things in print that you have seen before, and that I know in the back of my mind it is true, but then keep eating sugar and starches: helps to protect against insulin resistance is the number one factor,” he says. “The main driver of all the diseases related to aging is sugar and starch.” Minimizing consumption of these two ingredients is directly linked to aging well because they are both linked to insulin resistance as well as diabetes, heart disease, cancer, Alzheimer’s, and even depression. That alone should be enough for me to eat right, I am just 2 years free from Breast Cancer & diabetes runs in my family, but then I gain weight and eat starches & sugar!!!
    Thanks for listening to me vent, and thanks for being there for support!!!! Everyone have a great Friday!
  • n2gardens56
    n2gardens56 Posts: 74 Member
    Oh, just saw the posts about location: I am in South West VA, mountains, small town. I think I saw where someone said their sister lives in Roanoke, I am about 30 min drive from there. My photo is at McAfee Knob on the AT, that is one of my favorite hiking spots. Today it is about 30 here with wind chill making it more like in the teens, suppose to warm to near 40. We have been having lots of days in the 60's here too this winter which have been nice. I think it is going to get in the 50's by Sun. The MO temps must be moving our way. :)
  • RCPV
    RCPV Posts: 342 Member
    Oh, just saw the posts about location: I am in South West VA, mountains, small town. I think I saw where someone said their sister lives in Roanoke, I am about 30 min drive from there. My photo is at McAfee Knob on the AT, that is one of my favorite hiking spots. Today it is about 30 here with wind chill making it more like in the teens, suppose to warm to near 40. We have been having lots of days in the 60's here too this winter which have been nice. I think it is going to get in the 50's by Sun. The MO temps must be moving our way. :)

Hi n2gardens56! It was my sister, but actually she lives about 30 minutes from Roanoke in a little place called Rocky Mount. I just say Roanoke because people recognize that and it's so close.

I'm from Reno, Nevada. We've been having morning weather in the low 30's but it warms to high 60's in the afternoon. That's about 10 degrees higher than it should be for this time of year, which usually means the summer is going to be very hot and very dry. I don't mind the heat up until about 95 degrees, above that it's a little hard to tolerate. We'll have to wait and see.

Have a great day everyone! Glad to hear you're better today @lynnchristy! :)

• njag6393
    njag6393 Posts: 27 Member
    n2gardens56 I live in SW Va. but I am about 4 hrs from Roanoke near the Ky line, about 1hr 15 min. from Bristol. I enjoy reading everyone’s tips and experiences.
    I have similar struggles than a lot of the members in this group does as far as in reference to diet. I think I have this deceiving voice in my head telling me I’m almost 61, I deserve ice-cream lol.
  • bacpath
    bacpath Posts: 326 Member
    Good morning all from Victoria British Columbia, Canada, late of Newfoundland brrr! I typed a long reply this AM, but MFP kicked me out as I tried to send. In short- the wine festival and dinners are over! I did ok. I relaxed, had fun. The good side is I have 4 days TIL weigh in to get on track. Thanks for all your support. @lynnchristy get well soon. @ngardens56 hang in there, change will come, just keep reinforcing those good habits. To those who offered private messages and thoughts- you’re the best. So appreciative. Here’s to a happy, healthful, peaceful, successful weekend. Best, Bev. PS- any more Canadians on board or am I the only one over 60 in Canada😉
  • lindagalbreath577
    lindagalbreath577 Posts: 75 Member
    Hello everyone, really enjoying this group, I went back several pages to read. My quick back story is I lost 50lbs, kept it off for over a year & started gaining last March when I quit smoking. One of the problems I have is I don't feel as energetic since, also before mfp, I got used to feeling full after a meal & that desire has come back too. Also there was 1.5yrs of almost constant stress due to a family member, which has ended so I'm giving it my best shot starting today. I'm up 13 lbs. I used to think, 13 lbs isn't that big a deal, but it's a whole pant size. I do get around 10,000 steps/day & have started back to the gym but not as often as before, my energy level isn't what it used to be & probably some depression zaps it out of me too. So I've been thinking about starting a new account, which I think would help me mentally but I'd lose all my regular foods & would have to start over with that & find some of the groups I follow too.
    Hello everyone, really enjoying this group, I went back several pages to read. My quick back story is I lost 50lbs, kept it off for over a year & started gaining last March when I quit smoking. One of the problems I have is I don't feel as energetic since, also before mfp, I got used to feeling full after a meal & that desire has come back too. Also there was 1.5yrs of almost constant stress due to a family member, which has ended so I'm giving it my best shot starting today. I'm up 13 lbs. I used to think, 13 lbs isn't that big a deal, but it's a whole pant size. I do get around 10,000 steps/day & have started back to the gym but not as often as before, my energy level isn't what it used to be & probably some depression zaps it out of me too. So I've been thinking about starting a new account, which I think would help me mentally but I'd lose all my regular foods & would have to start over with that & find some of the groups I follow too.

• lindagalbreath577
    Good morning everyone! We have a sunny day here in Oregon! Two days in a row!!! So I went to Curves and took a longer walk home it feels good to walk in the sun! I hope everyone has a good day. I just wanted to say hey! So hey! We can do this.
  • lindagalbreath577
    I don’t know how I did this but I posted Evamutts post 3 times?? You can do this Evamutt we are here to support each other
    lynnchristy I hope you feel better soon have a good day🤓
  • yukfoo
    yukfoo Posts: 871 Member
    bacpath wrote: »
    Good morning all from Victoria British Columbia, Canada, late of Newfoundland brrr! I typed a long reply this AM, but MFP kicked me out as I tried to send. In short- the wine festival and dinners are over! I did ok. I relaxed, had fun. The good side is I have 4 days TIL weigh in to get on track. Thanks for all your support. @lynnchristy get well soon. @ngardens56 hang in there, change will come, just keep reinforcing those good habits. To those who offered private messages and thoughts- you’re the best. So appreciative. Here’s to a happy, healthful, peaceful, successful weekend. Best, Bev. PS- any more Canadians on board or am I the only one over 60 in Canada😉

Nanaimo here. And yes...you are the only Canadian over 60. A rare unicorn...lol
    I'm 59 years 36 months :p Just thought I"d say hi.
  • AnnPT77

(snip) for reply length
    . . . sometimes it is good to see things in print that you have seen before, and that I know in the back of my mind it is true, but then keep eating sugar and starches: helps to protect against insulin resistance is the number one factor,” he says. “The main driver of all the diseases related to aging is sugar and starch.” Minimizing consumption of these two ingredients is directly linked to aging well because they are both linked to insulin resistance as well as diabetes, heart disease, cancer, Alzheimer’s, and even depression. That alone should be enough for me to eat right, I am just 2 years free from Breast Cancer & diabetes runs in my family, but then I gain weight and eat starches & sugar!!!
    Thanks for listening to me vent, and thanks for being there for support!!!! Everyone have a great Friday!

I'd urge caution about over-emphasizing starches/sugars' role in avoiding breast cancer recurrence (or initial disease). There's a risk of throwing the baby out with the bathwater. (I'm a 19+ year survivor of stage III locally advanced breast cancer: 5 tumors in one breast, some large; one tumor in the other breast; an underarm lymph node with metastatic malignancy. This is an area of research I've paid quite close attention to.)

The mainstream advice (e.g., from American Cancer Society, American Institute for Cancer Research, etc.) is that we should attain a healthy body weight, get well-rounded nutrition, be routinely physically active, limit alcohol and specifically eat plenty of veggies, fruits, and whole grains. Those latter foods are important, and they all contain substantial amounts of naturally-occurring carbs and sugars. They're very nutrient dense foods, and most are relatively low in calories.

Low carb diets limit veggie, fruit and grain intake. Some people who undertake a low carb diet find that they increase their vegetable consumption, and can include some fruit. But those who are accustomed to eating large amounts of veggies and fruits, will often find that they can't include their normal quantities and variety of veggies and fruits while still maintaining a low carb level. (This would be true for me.)

What the major mainstream cancer authorities are saying is that it's a good plan to limit low-nutrient-density highly-refined carbs like baked goods, candy, soda, etc.: They're usually calorie-dense, not very filling, and can make it easier to overeat and therefore become obese, increasing risk. At the same time, they're suggesting we increase veggies, fruits, whole grains, lowfat dairy, and other common sources of carbohydrates, including both starches and sugars (inherent sugars, not added sugars!). The problem is not "carbohydrates", but calorie dense, nutrient sparse food choices becoming a major percentage of one's diet.

For breast cancer specifically, it's looking like regular physical activity is a truly significant factor in long-term survival, in some sub-groups even more influential than chemotherapy, in statistical terms.
  • mds1207
    mds1207 Posts: 42 Member
    Hi all, 62 yr old male from WV. Would be happy to support anyone trying to get healthier. Lost over 30 lbs using MFP, quit posting and gained 17 back! Have lost 6 since I started posting again. I'm retired and very active in physical fitness. Good luck to my fellow "seniors" and please reach out to me if there's anything that I can help you with.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,294 Member
    good afternoon, again, thank you all for your support. I have 2 part time jobs. One is easy, the other which I started Jan 10 & work friday & saturday mornings are at the animal rescue I volunteer at, cleaning rooms. I have to get the dogs out to the yard first. It's really hard work. I'm hoping I can keep doing it. The hardest part is getting up early. I start at 8 & usually I don't get up till 8. I'm SO used to going to bed at midnight because my full time job I had at the hospital which I got laid off from, I worked from 3-11:30. I'm a morning person but I picked that shift so I can take my dogs out in the mornings, especially during the hot summer. I'm just SO tired when I get home. I'm just going to go to the pool at the gym. I don't know if I will have enough energy to take my younger dog, Eleanor out today. I lost one of my beloved dogs January 2019 & wasn't planning to get another dog since my other ones are older, have arthritis & don't need to go out every single day. I was going to volunteer more at the animal rescue then I found Eleanor dog as a stray, took her next door to our daughters, found owner, owner gave her to our daughter. I started walking her & taking her to dog park with my pack & she kept jumping the fence to get over to my house to the point she didn't want to live with our daughter anymore so she became ours. She's about 3-4 yrs old, extremely sweet German Shepherd, submissive & gets alone with all our dogs & cats. Loves ppl more than dogs & is medium energy so just right for us. I still feel bad if I skip a day out with her. Our daughter had to move so we also have her little dog till she can take him back plus another little dog to find a home for. Personally we have 4 large & 2 small dogs. I'm a crazy dog lady for sure. It's so sad seeing them age, 2 are not doing well at all. Just want to mention that I have an awful time during the summer because I get SO hot, even in winter & we don't have central air, just window air conditioners so It's not very cool in our house
  • kardsharp
    kardsharp Posts: 618 Member
    bacpath wrote: »
    Good morning all from Victoria British Columbia, Canada,

Good afternoon from Victoria BC as well.

• Fishwishing
    Fishwishing Posts: 26 Member
    Teresadannar, hello to a fellow Missourian! I live in Columbia and am also looking forward to the weekend and the forecasted 50-60's. I took my dog out yesterday for a fairly long walk and the wind was so bitter. I think it will be much better Saturday and Sunday. Fingers crossed!