Sub 10% Body Fat

Anyone else targeting 10 or less for June?

I've been at 11 to 12 percent for a year and cannot break through this barrier.

Let's share.

Replies

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,971 Member
    edited February 2020
    I achieved 8% BF (as measured by hydrostatic testing) once in connection w/my wtloss efforts. I have never been able to achieve it again and have stabilzed at 10-12% which is satisfactory for me.

FWIW, from my experience and from what I've read, I believe that sub-10% BF for men is sub-optimal for one's health (the lower the BF%, the greater the risk) and that level of leanness is very difficult to attain (as you have already learned) and is generally a goal of competitive body builders who try to peak at their goal at the meet and then put back on wt & BF afterward.

That said, I'm not one to preach about what you "should or should not do." I presume that you are an intelligent adult capable of making informed judgments in your best interest. So, if your goal is to achieve a sub-10% BF level, I wish you luck.

All I did to achieve it was to lift heavy (a program of my own design) in combination w/a high protein (>1g per # BW) and low fat diet set at a cal goal about 10% below my experience adjusted TDEE w/o doing any cardio.

Lifting to build/retain muscle. High protein to do the same. Low fat to allow more cals for protein consumption. No cardio to avoid countereffects that could impair muscle growth or maintenance.

That's all of the advice that I can provide in order to try to achieve sub-10% BF. There are of course many resources on the Net that you can consult.
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    This is really good. Thanks for the feedback. I have a few barriers that are making it challenging. At 48 yrs old I don't want to lift too heavy and I am not willing to eat my b/w in protien. I am currently eating 1/3 - 1/2 my bw in protien and staying caloric deficient. I did reduce my cardio to 2x per week. Cardio was hampering my gains.

I don't plan to maintain sub 10%. It is just my target when I started this transition journey.
  • dloewen17
    dloewen17 Posts: 52 Member
    Right now I’m shooting for 10-11 percent body fat at the very end of May. I have a DEXA scan scheduled for then. Last scan I had last year in the fall said I was at 14%. I know they’re not always super accurate but I do like the information they provide.
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    I'm finding February and desert to be a challenge.... too many pazckis.
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    Dexa scan brings up a good question.

What method does everyone use? I'm using a 3 point caliper measurement.

And how often do you check?

This morning 11.66 % again....
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    I just go off the mirror
    Will probably get tested later this year
    Using MRI
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,971 Member
    edited February 2020
    KHMcG wrote: »
    Dexa scan brings up a good question.

What method does everyone use? I'm using a 3 point caliper measurement.

And how often do you check?

This morning 11.66 % again....

I use hydro and dexa. Hydo gives lower resultsthan dexa but dexa gives you more data than hydro, most importantly a vat reading of your interbal organ fat. Use 2 get both every 3 months but now do it just 1x/yr along w/my annual physical and blood tests.

While there isa margin of error in both methods, I prefer and think hydro is more accurate thandexa because it us vased on a direct analog measurementvofvyour wt under water while dexa is based on a digital algorithim that estinates your bf basedcon an xray scan

Calipers are inaccurate unless used on at least 7 pts (2 or 3 that you can"t reach yourself) by an "experienced" tester. Just a feaction of an inch can make a huge difference in the result + or -.
  • smith667metal
    smith667metal Posts: 29 Member
    I am also trying to hit 10% or lower for summer as well. I am most likely going about it all wrong. I try to get between 1500-1900 calories a day (160-200g protien 75-135g carbs 60-70g fat) which I can do for like 3 4 days strait but on that 4th or 5th day I binge like crazy been doing this cycle for the last month and it’s not working. I guess I gotta figure out some sustainable way to achieve it before summer rolls around
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    I am also trying to hit 10% or lower for summer as well. I am most likely going about it all wrong. I try to get between 1500-1900 calories a day (160-200g protien 75-135g carbs 60-70g fat) which I can do for like 3 4 days strait but on that 4th or 5th day I binge like crazy been doing this cycle for the last month and it’s not working. I guess I gotta figure out some sustainable way to achieve it before summer rolls around

Same here.
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    cupcakesandproteinshakes Posts: 1,091 Member

This is very low calories for a male. How about you try and shoot for a half pound loss a week. It may take longer but not as long as your current approach.
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness

This is very low calories for a male. How about you try and shoot for a half pound loss a week. It may take longer but not as long as your current approach.

Yes in fact it's more like 2000 calories on days when I'm at the gym. It's more like net Cal minus burned. 1700 - 1909. It's more challenging when I have a no cardio day.
  • CoreyLust
    CoreyLust Posts: 42 Member
    edited March 2020

How do you figure that without knowing how much he weighs and what specific activity he is engaged in?
  • CoreyLust
    edited March 2020
    This is really good. Thanks for the feedback. I have a few barriers that are making it challenging. At 48 yrs old I don't want to lift too heavy and I am not willing to eat my b/w in protien. I am currently eating 1/3 - 1/2 my bw in protien and staying caloric deficient. I did reduce my cardio to 2x per week. Cardio was hampering my gains.

I don't plan to maintain sub 10%. It is just my target when I started this transition journey.

If you are genuinely at that low of a body fat % and in eating in a calorie deficit. At your age you're going to hemorrhage lean body mass with your protein that low coupled with not lifting heavy.

Sarcopenia anyone?

RIP

Are you chasing an arbitrary number or a certain aesthetic look? That number will be different depending on how its measured anyway so why not just stop when your happy with what you see in the mirror?

Or at least settle somewhere realistic because sub ten is not sustainable for most anyway. So unleas you're a stage competitor, fitness model, etc

Why bother. By the sounds of the way you are dieting and training nothing good can come of your strategy...
  • CoreyLust
    edited March 2020
    Replied to wrong person...
  • smith667metal
    CoreyLust wrote: »

How do you figure that without knowing how much he weighs and what specific activity he is engaged in?

Well I suppose to be fair they might be right I’m 27 180 lbs try to keep active as much as possible plus train 5-6 times a week my bmr is a little over 1700. I just want the damn fat gone now!
  • smith667metal

Well I suppose to be fair they might be right I’m 27 180 lbs try to keep active as much as possible plus train 5-6 times a week my bmr is a little over 1700. I just want the damn fat gone now!

Nope definitely wrong. At that weight and assuming you are about 10% body fat (judging by your profile pic). You could do a protein sparing modified fast for 10ish days on 1300 calories a day. You'd have to increase your protein up to nearer the 300g mark and lift heavy at two thirds current volume while maintaining intensity during this time.

But yeah whatever. Not enough information was provided to throw out a blanket statement saying that just because you are a male your calories are too low.

That's misinformation at it's finest.

Wow the more you know hey!? There is always something new to learn that’s why I like this community part on mfp there usually something new to learn. See I would not have even known that was an option thanks!ight have to try that if I make it to 10% bf and wanna try for sub 10. Guarantee I’m no where near 10 now if I had to guess lowest 13 more close to 15 maybe I have no idea I just go by what Greg doucett says on his videos on YouTube
  • CoreyLust
    edited March 2020

Nope definitely wrong. At that weight and assuming you are about 10% body fat (judging by your profile pic). You could do a protein sparing modified fast for 10ish days on 1300 calories a day. You'd have to increase your protein up to nearer the 300g mark and lift heavy at two thirds current volume while maintaining intensity during this time.

But yeah whatever. Not enough information was provided to throw out a blanket statement saying that just because you are a male your calories are too low.

That's misinformation at it's finest.

Wow the more you know hey!? There is always something new to learn that’s why I like this community part on mfp there usually something new to learn. See I would not have even known that was an option thanks!ight have to try that if I make it to 10% bf and wanna try for sub 10. Guarantee I’m no where near 10 now if I had to guess lowest 13 more close to 15 maybe I have no idea I just go by what Greg doucett says on his videos on YouTube

Oh man when it comes to the science side of things Greg Doucett is a raving idiot. This is why the fitness industry is such a mess. 99% of what I see being spouted online is just not right. Unfortunately people will follow guys like Greg lapping up everything they say because they are 'youtube' famous, or have had achieved quite good results on themselves.

Problem is an n=1 study is a load of !@$% and Greg just makes stuff up. He has been called out on this in an online interview and didn't dispute it.

Greg has great genetics and now takes steroids (by his own admission). So listening to his advice is not a great start.

Also not that numbers really matter but if you currently look the way you do in your profile picture, unless you are carrying a lot of fat on your back, or backside, etc. You look 10 to 12% no higher.

Again not that it matters. Surely just stop when you are either happy with what you see in the mirror, or when you hormones crash so badly you just can't stand it anymore...

For some people that happens at 10 to 12%.

The numbers don't matter. It's all about what you can do. Some people look shredded at 10% body fat (again an arbitrary number and how was that measured) and some people still look 'soft' at 10%. Again who is really at 10%? How was it measured.

The numbers are truly meaningless. Best gauge to go on is what people are visually describing as '10%' or '12%' and least that is relatively consistent and everyone is more or less on the same page.

I mean come on most people are doing this for aesthetics. So judge results on the thing you are trying to achieve.

How you look.

OTY Yolo
  • CoreyLust
    mym3hbqouakz.png

Asthetic, health, fitness. All at once. So far pretty good. Maintaining muscle mass strength and general health. I am conscious of the fact that I likely will not be able stay at sub 10%. Just want to check the box. I'm watching caliper numbers the scale, tape. measurements. Blood test is due this month. Thank you for the concern.

No problem :D - good job on your transformation too! How long did this actually take you?