Jar of Peanuts per Day over GOMAD?

Options
Heu guys, I want to gain 20 pounds relatively fast (I lost lots of weight due to depression. I used to work out and gained about 50 pounds over the course of two years but I lost it all.). I was wondering how bad it would be for your health if I just ate a jar of peanuts throughout the day on top of my regular three meals? The peanuts alone would come to 3,900 calories, but maybe an entire jar is an exaggeration, I doubt I'd be able to do it. But I'm just wondering if this is a good alternative to the GOMAD strategy.

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Do you have concerns about your metabolic health and preventing other issues? How underweight are you?

Gaining weight is simply eating more calories than you burn. How you do that is up to you.
  • aatishchavan
    aatishchavan Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    too much of everything will not help you. as per my experience, some body like you does not takes enough sleep, or smokes or have excess xx-activities with your partner. take a break from these three and u will feel better.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    Outside of the mental health concerns I would have, eating a jar of peanuts everyday could have some negative pysicial health consequences. First off, that's going to be A LOT of fiber. Some people handle high fiber than others, but a quick jump up in fiber like that (your jar is likely to have 60+ grams) is likely to cause gastrointestinal distress, either from constipation or diherrea.

Second, I would also be concerned about how much potassium you are taking in, especially if you ate the jar in conjunction with other foods that are high in potassium. Potassium is a mineral you can overdose on, and peanuts are high in them. There may not be enough potassium in them to cause it, but there would certainly be a concern if you did this on a regular basis that you may actually be getting too much.

So besides the reasons I outlined in my other comment, I would have concerns about eating a "whole jar" of peanuts as you describe.
  • happysquatter
    happysquatter Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Since you refer to GOMAD - are you doing the Starting Strength program?

If so and if the choice is between GOMAD or peanuts, I'd go with GOMAD. You get a better split of Protein/Fats and most importantly carbs.

But if you are not strength training - then other than a medical reason to up your body weight fast, I'm not sure I can necessarily suggest either of these options you've put forth. Or differentiate between them.

• puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    Are you just trying to increase weight or do actually want to bulk and increase muscle?

Regardless, peanuts aren't magical. As @MikePTY pointed out, you should consider using a variety of foods to gain weight rather than having so many of your calories just come from a single source every day for weeks.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    Options
    Between a jar of Skippy's and GOMAD, I'd pick GOMAD.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    how about a 150-250 calorie a day surplus and lifting in a progressive system. Do you want just weight... or more muscle less fat gain?
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    how about a 150-250 calorie a day surplus and lifting in a progressive system. Do you want just weight... or more muscle less fat gain?

This
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,596 Member
    Options

This

How about this?!?! Hmmm?