Breads and Grains

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    edited February 2020
    I don't really think in terms of grain servings but have been noticing a lot of questions about it recently so have been wondering if it is a thing again.

I have some sort of starch with every meal. When I make eggs, I have a piece of bread. Most commonly with dinners I have rice or potatoes, as they are more satiating for me. I also have pasta.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Daily. I’m a sourdough bread baker (home, not a pro) and bake all our bread. I have input the ingredients into the recipe builder and I weigh the baked bread and weigh my portions by the ounce.
    We often eat rice as the base for our dinners. Again, portion control. I weigh it, eat and enjoy it.
    Pasta is hard for me, though. I can’t seem to control myself and it doesn’t satisfy me for as long.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    I eat around 200g of carbs daily (now in maintenance, it was more like 150 while losing). Most of them aren't breads or grains, not because there's anything wrong with those in the abstract, but because I don't personally find them to be all that tasty/enjoyable.

I eat oatmeal pretty much every day, sometimes have an Ezekiel tortilla or pita (4 or so days a week?), maybe use a couple of spelt/flax crackers as a substrate for cheese a few times a week.

That's about it for normal daily consumption. Most of my carbs are veggies, fruit, the sugars in no-sugar-added dairy, some blackstrap molasses in my oatmeal, a bit of sugar in my kefir.

If you like bread, there's no reason not to eat some. You could theoretically eat all and only bread, within your calorie goal, and still lose weight. Obviously, no one's likely to be silly enough to do that, since nutrition is important for health. As long as you get get enough protein, healthy fats, and veggies/fruits for micros and fiber, you can fill the rest of your calories with bread, with no penalty, IMO. :)
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    My carbs right now range between 3-400g (abt 55% of my intake) - most days I have a bagel, 2-3 servings of pasta or rice and cereal
  • pence429
    pence429 Posts: 28 Member
    Just curious---what's the dislike about? That I don't eat breads/grains or that I feel better not eating them?
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    It's not dislike, it's disagree.

I see nothing to disagree with in your post (it's a statement about your own habits and why), so it could just be someone accidentally hitting the button which apparently can happen easily on the app, I wouldn't worry about it.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Depends on the day. I eat about 70-90 grams of bread a day (occasionally twice that number if I have 2 meals of sandwiches), plus rice/flour/pasta and other grain based carbs when the main meal contains them. The main meal has to have starches for me to feel satisfied, but sometimes they're not grain based so bread ends up my only grain-based food for the day.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,538 Member
    I have oatmeal for breakfast and a big bowl of popcorn for a snack so 3 for sure. I'm diabetic and bread spikes me more than anything else, even whole wheat. I can eat more now that my blood sugar is really low, even the occasional potato, but bread's out aside of rarely.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Depends on the day. I eat about 70-90 grams of bread a day (occasionally twice that number if I have 2 meals of sandwiches), plus rice/flour/pasta and other grain based carbs when the main meal contains them. The main meal has to have starches for me to feel satisfied, but sometimes they're not grain based so bread ends up my only grain-based food for the day.

90 grams? That's not even 3 slices :) I currently eat four slices, about 140 grams, maybe more bread with dinner if I have a soup (I looooove soups!)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    yirara wrote: »

90 grams? That's not even 3 slices :) I currently eat four slices, about 140 grams, maybe more bread with dinner if I have a soup (I looooove soups!)

I don't eat breads in slices, well, I only rarely do. That's a whole pita/bun.
  • cobalt108
    cobalt108 Posts: 60 Member
    I try to stay away from bread and other processed carbohydrates as much as possible. Anything that is ‘empty’ calories.
    I do like steel cut oats, but every day and susually only in winter.
    If your concerned about daily limit, I’d try to go for whatever has most bang for your nutritional buck. For example, I still crave pita with my hummus. Instead of getting regular pita I go for Joseph’s. It comes in mini pita sizes, is lower carbs and higher protein with flax and other good stuff in there. It helps me kind of bridge the gap.
    If you can’t/don’t want to give up bread then I’d say 1-2 servings a week or just holidays/special occasions and have it in the morning only.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    cobalt108 wrote: »
    I try to stay away from bread and other processed carbohydrates as much as possible. Anything that is ‘empty’ calories.
    I do like steel cut oats, but every day and susually only in winter.
    If your concerned about daily limit, I’d try to go for whatever has most bang for your nutritional buck. For example, I still crave pita with my hummus. Instead of getting regular pita I go for Joseph’s. It comes in mini pita sizes, is lower carbs and higher protein with flax and other good stuff in there. It helps me kind of bridge the gap.
    If you can’t/don’t want to give up bread then I’d say 1-2 servings a week or just holidays/special occasions and have it in the morning only.

Bread are not empty calories. Some people get very full from bread. Others don't of course. Other people don't feel full from protein or fat. Some people are volume eaters, others are not. It's totally individual.
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    Mmmm, lovely bread in all it's delicious forms.
    I certainly don't consider it to be empty calories, I often get whole grain and seeded varieties, rye bread etc.

Oats always for breakfast, lunch often features bulghar wheat, pearl barley, cous cous, sometimes flat bread, or bread rolls. Dinner is more likely to include potato, sometimes other root veg.

You just need to fit in what you like and works for you. Other people talk about fitting in fast food or soda, I don't care for those things so am not bothered. But no-one will convince me to give up bread :)
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,585 Member
    edited March 2020
    The white (Yes. I. Said. White.) bread I eat has 4g of protein and 1 of fiber (but I keep my fiber low) in a 100 calorie serving so...empty calories my not much there anymore lilly white buttockular region.
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,862 Member
    So much, like 77% of my diet.

Carbs are love, carbs are life.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    I eat 200 to 250 grams of carbs daily, including cerealor oatmeal for breakfast every day, usually a sandwich for lunch, and 1/2 cup of rice or pasta, or a starchy vegetable like squash for dinner. Plus a huge salad with dinner and usually at least one piece of fruit for a snack. I am a frustrated, irritable person when I limit carbs too much.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    edited March 2020
    I’m not huge on bread. Some days I have 2 pieces of toast or a hamburger bun or pita bread. I eat rice and beans or lentils most days. I eat pasta once a week or so. I eat oats, barley, or quinoa sometimes as well. On an average day, I probably eat about 2-5 servings of grains plus soy and legumes. I’m plant based so I eat a lot of carbs.
  • estherpotter1
    estherpotter1 Posts: 137 Member
    2 slices at night gets rid of my late night hunger sometimes.