Coronavirus prep

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Toilet paper: Keep in mind that people in the good ol' days used pages from the Sears Roebuck catalog out in the outhouse. Obviously, there's no Sears catalog any more, but if you have the usual supply of National Geographic or whatever in your basement, you're in good shape. Even pages from the zombie apocalypse books will work, in a pinch.

Don't flush it, though: Sewage system clogs are a whole other problem.

;)

While my apocalypse books are all digital, I was able to grab the last mega pack of my favorite brand of TP last night.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,979 Member
    Purel , hand soap...nothing different for me in prepping for the flu
  • kshama2001
    whmscll wrote: »
    Toilet paper: Keep in mind that people in the good ol' days used pages from the Sears Roebuck catalog out in the outhouse. Obviously, there's no Sears catalog any more, but if you have the usual supply of National Geographic or whatever in your basement, you're in good shape. Even pages from the zombie apocalypse books will work, in a pinch.

;)

You can use a squirt-type water bottle to mimic a bidet to take care of cleansing after #1, and save your TP for #2. I sometimes do this when backpacking. It’s refreshing. You can also use all sorts of baby and personal wipes instead of TP (just don’t flush them). But honestly, do we really think the nation is going to run out of TP?

Not all TP, no. But the manufacturer of my favorite brand has warned that it is made in China and to expect supply disruptions. This could easily cause price increases for my brand and other brands.

When California changed its rules about conditions for hens laying eggs (which I supported) this affected egg supply and price all the way over here in Massachusetts. In fact, the people raising eggs in their back yards near me in MA raised their prices as well, despite not being affected by the CA rule at all, (except as how it changed supply and demand.)
  • kshama2001
    edited March 2020
    Really? We ship toilet paper from China? That's just...well, I don't know why I'm surprised. There's a Dollar Store every three miles that sells practically worthless things. Shipped across an ocean.

I really don't understand the world.

From the link in the OP:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/andriacheng/2020/02/20/chinas-coronavirus-outbreak-threatens-to-send-global-supply-chain-into-a-tailspin-pg-alone-has-17600-items-that-could-be-affected/#84ddc5156fac

We access 387 suppliers in China that ship to us globally more than 9,000 different materials, impacting approximately 17,600 different finished product items,” Jon Moeller, Procter & Gamble’s chief operating officer and chief financial officer, said Thursday at a conference in New York. “Each of these suppliers faces their own challenges in resuming operations.”
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,905 Member
    Yeah I admit I didn't read the article.

But if you have part of a province in complete forced quarantine I guess that would lead to some backlogs. No pun intended.

I'm going to do my grocery shopping at 7AMish this morning hoping that the store will not have a lot of sneezers. I'll self-check my order.

I'm 65 so I've had my pneumonia shots and of course flu shots. My poor pharmacist. I bet they're getting over-run right now being right in the midst of this local outbreak.

• cmriverside
    ...and yes. I know those immunizations won't protect me from COVID 19.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    ...and yes. I know those immunizations won't protect me from COVID 19.

No they won't but if you don't get thoe things that leaves your immune system able to better fight the SARS-Cov2 if infected
  • cmriverside
    Yeah I saw that Coca Cola gets sucralose from China and that they donated money to "organizations supporting those with COVID 19." How...magnanimous of them.

Oh noes. No Coke Zero?? Of course I haven't had a fizzy drink in years. BUT don't take my Lipton Tea bags!! They better not get anything from Wuhan.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    whmscll wrote: »

;)

You can use a squirt-type water bottle to mimic a bidet to take care of cleansing after #1, and save your TP for #2. I sometimes do this when backpacking. It’s refreshing. You can also use all sorts of baby and personal wipes instead of TP (just don’t flush them). But honestly, do we really think the nation is going to run out of TP?

Not all TP, no. But the manufacturer of my favorite brand has warned that it is made in China and to expect supply disruptions. This could easily cause price increases for my brand and other brands.

When California changed its rules about conditions for hens laying eggs (which I supported) this affected egg supply and price all the way over here in Massachusetts. In fact, the people raising eggs in their back yards near me in MA raised their prices as well, despite not being affected by the CA rule at all, (except as how it changed supply and demand.)

THIS is frightening! The USA could be held hostage by TP manufactures overseas! Oh no! Vunerable!
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited March 2020
    psychod787 wrote: »
    puffbrat wrote: »
    We just got some extra dry beans, rice, and gallon jugs of water. We aren't really afraid of the virus, but more of the panicked shoppers that might clear the shelves, lol.

Same for us. I'm not terribly concerned about the virus but of the surrounding panic that will cause empty store shelves and panic about people going out in public. We haven't bought anything yet, but we are going to stock up on things like oats, frozen fruits and veggies, frozen meat, boxed macaroni and cheese, and crackers. And probably flour and sugar so we can still make cookies :D

Flour for making bread is at the top of my list :lol:

I'm also going to buy canned tuna, peanut butter, rice, beans, shelf stable fruit, etc.

As for P&G products, they make my brand of toilet paper, so I'm definitely buying a big thing of that.

All my friends thought I was crazy when I invested my money in canned food and shotguns after the "crash". Who's laughing at me now? B)
    P.S. Has anyone else noted that this is how many zombie apocalypse movies start?

I'm more a fan of apocalypse books (zombies not required), my favorite being "The Stand" by Stephen King. That did indeed start out with flu-like symptoms.

A favorite of mine. Just reread it last year, and rewatched the mini series.

I’m old, and not too concerned. We always stock up on things. We live in the country 12 miles from the nearest grocery store and Target. Have our own well and have a good supply of Britta water filters. It is what it is. An excuse for some manufacturers to raise prices and profits.
  • DecadeDuchess
    DecadeDuchess Posts: 315 Member
    edited March 2020
    I just got my groceries delivered via Walmart, within New Jersey & we've our toilet paper, plus the bottled water I bought to rotate my stock {emergency preparations for potential tornadoes, hurricanes, not necessarily this virus}!
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    I have a 2 week trip planned for Morocco that starts on March 16. If the WHO does not declare this a pandemic, which most likely will affect all travel, I am set on going. Be smart, take precautions and live. If it gets you it gets you. Its not like you can see this coming.

What if they do, after you're already there?

There’s a lot worse places to be stranded.
    @just_Tomek Enjoy!
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,982 Member

;)

Well, there aren't sears catalogs anymore, but I can build up a ready supply from all the junk mail flyers, seed catalogs, and clothing catalogs I get in the mail every week!

I went to Krogers website today to check if something was in stock at my local store, and noticed a ribbon message at the top that says they are limiting sanitation and cold & flu related items to 5 per customer. So if you want to stockpile your toilet paper, you'll have to hit a couple of different Kroger stores and pay in cash.....
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    I have a 2 week trip planned for Morocco that starts on March 16. If the WHO does not declare this a pandemic, which most likely will affect all travel, I am set on going. Be smart, take precautions and live. If it gets you it gets you. Its not like you can see this coming.

My sister is in Morrocco right now. They didn't have any confirmed cases, to my knowledge, a week ago. It will probably be fine as long as you take proper precautions at the airport and plane.