NEAT Improvement Strategies to Improve Weight Loss

Replies

• Be_theBest_Me
    Be_theBest_Me Posts: 768 Member
    I'm inspired!! Reminded me of so many things I used to do!! Thanks y'all
  • Antiopelle
    Antiopelle Posts: 1,184 Member
    The weather is terrible here, storms raging since three weeks and no change in sight. To get a bit of walking done, I will go to the mall tomorrow and go around all three levels, taking the stairs instead of escalators. No plans of shopping, although that might be a side effect ! :wink:
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I've taken over all snow shovelling and leaf raking in our household. Also, forgetting where I put things contributes a LOT to my step count.

Oh, man: I hear that one! That, and going to another room to get/do something, forgetting why I went, and having to go back where I started in order to remember. :lol:

You're all making me feel better! 💕
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Ok so as a mom I use my kids a lot for *kitten* I can do but just don't wanna so this week I'm forming a new habit!! Doing all the things that I can do my self that I usually have the kids do just to be lazy!! 😲It's a lot of movement I've been missing out on!!

I've been working on this, too! I'm sure my kid is glad, as well lol
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,954 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    For me a lot of it comes down to living inconveniently and inefficiently. I put away the remotes for everything that has buttons. I avoid shopping online. I do not stock my pantry as much. When I cook I avoid doing a mise en place. I use much smaller cups. I use the garage refrigerator more. I avoid motorized tools when possible.

Surprisingly I do not see much of a time drain living this way. I just have a little less time being and doing sedentary things.

I think those are good points, and I'd agree that I don't seem much time penalty in the extra movement I try to do, either. It seems like some of the "convenience" things people do as time-savers don't really save much time, they're just lower effort so it feels like less time. I've started watching the drive-up line occasionally at a coffee shop I drop in to once in a while. Most of the time (not always), if it's even a remotely busy time, I'm running in and coming out with my coffee, and some of the same cars are still in the drive-up line. They're just sitting, listening to the radio (or whatever), using up some gasoline ( :lol: ), while I'm running in and ordering.

I'm surprised to read you say that mise en place takes you less movement. For me, I think it would be slightly more . . . maybe because I do all the dishes by hand? ;) (Not for calories, BTW: I don't have a dishwasher.) The storage areas in my kitchen are all short walk-routes, too, so mise en place wouldn't save much walking. Whatever works in one's own life is the good solution, though! :flowerforyou:
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,885 Member
    edited March 2020
    Ok so as a mom I use my kids a lot for *kitten* I can do but just don't wanna so this week I'm forming a new habit!! Doing all the things that I can do my self that I usually have the kids do just to be lazy!! 😲It's a lot of movement I've been missing out on!!

Aha: Hoarding all those miscellaneous calories-out just for yourself. ;) Good show!

There are so many shortcuts we get used to, like having the kids do things. Cutting out the shortcuts is a good start. It may be a small number of calories, but I think the habit of movement begins to get ingrained, and create a "bias toward movement" in us.

As an, ahem, older woman (age 64), I hear many of my same-age friends talk about it being hard to get up and down from sitting on the floor. I've begun noticing how I approach daily tasks, seeing where I may tend to avoid getting up and getting down . . . and making sure that I actually do it.

Good plan!

I think my OH did his parents a disservice by getting them those chairs that go up so you can get out of them easier. His father had other health issues that landed him in a nursing home, but for his mother, it was the inability to get on and off the toilet unassisted.

SMO-2017-Fall-Blog-Art-UseItorLoseIt-FINAL-1024x439.jpg
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    For me a lot of it comes down to living inconveniently and inefficiently. I put away the remotes for everything that has buttons. I avoid shopping online. I do not stock my pantry as much. When I cook I avoid doing a mise en place. I use much smaller cups. I use the garage refrigerator more. I avoid motorized tools when possible.

Surprisingly I do not see much of a time drain living this way. I just have a little less time being and doing sedentary things.

I think those are good points, and I'd agree that I don't seem much time penalty in the extra movement I try to do, either. It seems like some of the "convenience" things people do as time-savers don't really save much time, they're just lower effort so it feels like less time. I've started watching the drive-up line occasionally at a coffee shop I drop in to once in a while. Most of the time (not always), if it's even a remotely busy time, I'm running in and coming out with my coffee, and some of the same cars are still in the drive-up line. They're just sitting, listening to the radio (or whatever), using up some gasoline ( :lol: ), while I'm running in and ordering.

I'm surprised to read you say that mise en place takes you less movement. For me, I think it would be slightly more . . . maybe because I do all the dishes by hand? ;) (Not for calories, BTW: I don't have a dishwasher.) The storage areas in my kitchen are all short walk-routes, too, so mise en place wouldn't save much walking. Whatever works in one's own life is the good solution, though! :flowerforyou:

I try to go in everywhere too now. It has two benefits. It keeps me moving and when it is a situation that involves food from a fast food place it adds a layer to make sure I really want it and I am not just settling. I still eat fast food but since I was quick to settle in my gaining years I want to actively avoid doing it now. I have also noticed I get serviced faster at least some of the time.

I said that I avoid doing a mise en place. This creates more movement because I am consistently returning to a place where I have already gotten an ingredient. Sometimes that is a step or two sometimes it is a trip back to the pantry area. Every step adds to the collective.

I own a dishwasher but I have always preferred to do most of my dishes by hand. I have always felt the dishwasher was overkill for many dishes that require very little effort to clean. Also washing the dishes by hand keeps me efficient in usage which is one of the few areas I do not wish to increase my NEAT. I always re-use a dish if I can and most of the time it is possible with just a quick rinse.