Weight and sweating.

Options
If I loose a significant amount of weight will I sweat less? By the end of my 1 hour zumba class, I'm beat red, and wet from head to toe. Thank you for your response

Replies

• nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    For me, I was a SWEATHOG when I was obese. 97 lbs less, I sweat normal and not profusely. I also noticed I get colder a lot easier.
  • dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    You'll sweat if you well-hydrated, but you'll sweater no matter what kind of cardio you do. It's only natural to sweat and the more fit you are, the more you sweat.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    You might or might not. I personally sweat a lot no matter my weight. Other people find that sweating correlates strongly with their weight.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    You might. Sweat happens because the body is trying to cool itself.

As you become more fit, your body may become less “hot” doing the same level of activity (in the same temperature/conditions), so you may sweat less - although I don’t want to assume a current level of fitness.

You may sweat less as your body becomes less hot due to moving less mass.

But all sweat is through glands and some people just sweat more than others in the same scenarios.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I was a heavy sweater when I was overweight. I'm still a heavy sweater. This isn't to say that you won't change, but I didn't change.

What I did see was that my sweat threshold did get somewhat "higher." That is, things that would have made me sweat in the past don't always make me sweat now, it takes more intense activity before I start sweating.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,425 Member
    Options
    I sweat insanely now, but then again I upped my number of hot mat classes correspondingly.

I can deal with that. It’s the night sweats that are bothering me now. And I’m waaaay post menopausal. This waking up soaked and then being too damp and chilled to kick the covers off really sucks.

I was fine til we spent an extended period in December in an Airbnb with underfloor heating we couldn’t turn down. It triggered the sweats and now they won’t go away.

Enjoy the sweat for what it is. Think of it as the “original detox” plan. That’s why god blessed us with showers on demand.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    If I loose a significant amount of weight will I sweat less? By the end of my 1 hour zumba class, I'm beat red, and wet from head to toe. Thank you for your response

Maybe, maybe not...I sweat like crazy in a spin class and I'm not over fat.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I just SWEAT PROFUSELY weight has nothing to do with it for me! :D
  • Lolinloggen
    Lolinloggen Posts: 463 Member
    Options

Depends a little on how lucky you are in the gene department and other factors. Personally I sweat less than when I was obese, I am no longer standing in a puddle of sweat like I used to. So from that yeah for me I think I sweat less it seems. But what is more; I have actually come to like being sweaty after a work out. My outlook on being sweaty has changes so maybe it is more that than being less sweaty :smiley:
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    It may be better when your cardio system is better but I know for me after an hour of cardio I look like I've stepped out of the shower wearing my clothes and I'm in maintenance. Take a towel and ice water, it'll at least help cool you off. I load up my water bottle with ice and refill it when I'm done and when I leave.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I sweat just as much at 139lb as I did at 290lb. Probably because I can (and do) now push myself far, far more, to my absolute limits.
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I still go beet red and sweat but it takes more effort to get me to that stage these days.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I have a Scot/Irish background and turn redredred and sweaty after any workout. This has been true whether I am overwight, normal weight, or underweight. I will say it takes longer for me to START sweating at a normal weight.

About zumba--- after a few weeks you'll become more efficient at the movements and have to work less.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    A lot of it is genetic. My mother was a heavy sweater, and so am I. It wasn't noticeable when I was less active, but now that I run regularly, I often end up drenched after a good workout.