Gastric Sleeve - Your thoughts and opinions or your very own experience?

1235»

Replies

• privy95
    privy95 Posts: 82 Member
    edited March 2020
    Try listening to the Weight loss Surgery Podcast with Reeger Cornell. She has Bariatric patients, doctors, other health practitioners, etc. Very informative and educational!
  • BuddhaBunnyFTW
    BuddhaBunnyFTW Posts: 157 Member
    https://nutritionfacts.org/
    I read this book that talks about how bad the surgery is for you. See the link above.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I read this book that talks about how bad the surgery is for you. See the link above.

That link has nothing to do with weight loss surgery.
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member

Are you going to post this link on every thread?
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    I had gastric sleeve 9 days ago. This wasn't an easy fix or a quick decision. It was researched and decided with a variety of doctors and determined the best way forward. There's a long history to my weight and it was all examined in detail.

Only a short time out I can't talk about long term. Currently I can barely think about food and am sticking to a nutritional liquids and water.

I think it all comes down to your attitude towards the surgery - for me this is a tool in my weight loss journey, not a solution, it's a reset button for me to figure out what foods best fuel my body and help me live a healthy lifestyle.

And for the record it bloody hurts - the first few days were pure hell and as I consistently said "worse than labour".

I think this is the key point right there; too many people go into WLS thinking that its a quick fix, but if you don't use it as a way to change your lifestyle and relationship with food, its going to ultimately fail. What I find disturbing is that many of these bariatric clinics don't do enough to get this through to their patients, or at least, the psychological exam required doesn't seem to catch the patients who don't get this.

I know there are some very good clinics and doctors out there who do have a good support team for their patients before and after the surgery, who do stress the lifestyle changes that must be made long term for success, and who are honest with the statistics surrounding WLS, but there are others out there that give this good clinics a bad name and who really come across to me as being in it for the money. My cousin's experience, for example: the clinic she used is supposed to be providing post-op followup care, but 2 years out, and she's stalled and started regaining. But instead of helping her be honest with the dietician and work with them to find a way to halt the regain, the doctor is pushing her for a second surgery. No real investigation into what my cousin is doing to find out why the weight loss stalled and stopped, no working with her to help her get her lifestyle back under control; just a push for more surgery. I've been with her out and I see what she's eating and I can see exactly why she's in this regain phase, but she needs help in understanding the calorie count - not just recording what she eats, but how much of it and the calorie count behind it. She doesn't grasp this, and I consider it a large failure on the part of her doctor and team that she doesn't understand it, and consider it somewhat irresponsible that instead of helping her grasp this concept, they're just pushing her for more surgery.

@Kaylee_law_123 I wish you the best of luck with this! I wish more people who are considering WLS would follow your example in taking the time to thoroughly research the procedure, the success and fail rate long term, what the lifestyle is that is needed followup, and who approach it realistically, opening, and honestly, understanding that its a tool, not a solution in and of itself.

As I've said before, I'm not totally against WLS; I'm just against it as a quick decision, knee-jerk solution without everything being factored in and without intense counseling on the subject. I wish more people would truly and thoroughly vet it out, not just taking the clinic's word for it but read up on the subject in depth before going into the surgery. For some people, it is absolutely the right course and the best decision they'll ever make, but its not just for everyone, and I get irritated at how its pushed as a blanket panacea solution to obesity.
  • mandy082385
    mandy082385 Posts: 3 Member
    edited May 2020
    wnewa784rbv2.jpeg
    I had the gastric sleeve surgery April 2018. I was 243lbs at 5'4. I am incredibly happy I did it. I wouldn't take it back! I hit a point in my life where I felt so defeated and it was overwhelming knowing how much weight I had to lose. I went from a size 14/16 and I am at a 6 now. I have managed to maintain the weight loss over the last couple years. I've slowly started to find myself going back to old habits being in quarantine so that's why I'm back here. I planned meals out and bought healthy foods to cook at home.

The people here saying it's the easy way out clearly don't have the same struggles as others. Everyone is different. I cannot eat how I used to eat. I cannot eat crap food and just expect to magically stay thin. It doesn't work like that. It takes a lot of hard work, too. I still have to work out.

Bottom line - Can you do it with diet and exercise alone? Absolutely. Surgery certainly isn't the "easy way out", but seeing the weight fall off so quickly put my mindset in a MUCH better place. I never want to go back to how I felt before. I love wearing clothes again and going out with my friends. I can exercise so much easier now without the back pain.

Talk to your doctor. Don't let others influence you to NOT do it solely because they did it naturally. That is great for them, but some people need extra help - myself included.